Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Cool photos! You must have had your spots a well planned out to be able to drive and take additional photos at a different location. The engineer even switched sides to get in the your shot, and one with a wave hello too. The main wheels on these old workhorses were enormous compared to modern locomotives. We had one of the Union Pacific railroads "Big Boy" in our city museum, I believe the worlds largest steam powered ever made. They pulled it out about last year to perform a full restoration after sitting since about when your car was brand new Very Happy . They want to tour it around as you folks have done.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

d5626 wrote:
Cool photos! You must have had your spots a well planned out to be able to drive and take additional photos at a different location. The engineer even switched sides to get in the your shot, and one with a wave hello too. The main wheels on these old workhorses were enormous compared to modern locomotives. We had one of the Union Pacific railroads "Big Boy" in our city museum, I believe the worlds largest steam powered ever made. They pulled it out about last year to perform a full restoration after sitting since about when your car was brand new Very Happy . They want to tour it around as you folks have done.

Yes it appeared on successive Saturdays in May...the first one attracted large media attention so my favoured shot was swamped with crowds of people up against the fence. The second week only the real enthusiasts knew about and those who turned up stood well back so no people in the picture. The route on both occasions was a "there and back" so it gave me about an hour to get to another location on its return journey. It's all about planning Wink

The "Flying Scotsman" was the first steam locomotive authenticated to have run at 100mph in 1934.

Hope they can get "Big Boy" in action...that will be an impressive sight. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Hi I have now come to the point of registering my USA import.

It did not come with a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) which presents my problem. When completing the UK registration form it refers to the CoC for information required to complete the form, as follows:

max load to tow,
CO2 emissions
Date 1st registered
Proof of type
etc etc etc.

Can somebody guide me in the direction of the is information for a 74 Ghia

Thanks in advance

Regards
John
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Gnasha wrote:
Hi I have now come to the point of registering my USA import.

It did not come with a CoC (Certificate of Conformity) which presents my problem. When completing the UK registration form it refers to the CoC for information required to complete the form, as follows:

max load to tow,
CO2 emissions
Date 1st registered
Proof of type
etc etc etc.

Can somebody guide me in the direction of the is information for a 74 Ghia

Thanks in advance

Regards
John

Not sure how much of that is relevant for a vehicle of that age...generally there is an exemption on vehicles over 10 years old: Approval Exemptions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Spring has sprung here in the south of England...roads are dry and the spring flowers are pushing through.

A local Victorian brick-built church...usually they date back a lot earlier than this one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A "chocolate box" traditional thatched cottage but radically "gentryfied" in the last 40 years.

The local village Green and Duck Pond...every village had one but not so many these days.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

As we have come to expect, your new photos are beautiful John.

Either you're a downright genius with a camera and Photoshop, or you should seriously consider becoming a Finacial Advisor for a living because you sure have a way of making that $9k investment look like a Million dollars!

Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

Either you're a downright genius with a camera and Photoshop, or you should seriously consider becoming a Finacial Advisor for a living because you sure have a way of making that $9k investment look like a Million dollars!

Wink

Thank you kind sir...as I have said many times before...find an attractive scene, place you car in front of it and click the shutter. Smile
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

Wink

Thank you kind sir...as I have said many times before...find an attractive scene, place you car in front of it and click the shutter. Smile

Very nice pictures. If only we had cool looking houses like your second picture in the states, I'd say no problem. I would say if that house were for sale, your car in front of it would seal the deal for making it a sold house.

Those white walls really set off the car. Thanks for sharing.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The iconic steam loco "Flying Scotsman" paid our area a visit again today, pulling a train-load of enthusiasts on a round trip from Salisbury to Southampton and back.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I always look forward to your spring pictures, John. And if they include steam trains, that's a super extra bonus for me. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Quiet roads in The New Forest on a Sunday morning apart from the cows, ponies and donkeys that roam free across the woods and heathlands.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The cricket square is fenced off to keep the wildlife from completing the food-cycle on the "hallowed turf"...the half-timbered building is the cricket pavilion.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Just a mere 10 years ago today my Ghia was sailing down the western seaboard heading for the Panama Canal on the Hapag-Lloyd container ship "The Kuala Lumpur Express" Very Happy
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

congratulations john and happy anniversary! 10 years... i am almost there myself with 8 years coming up in December. i have made a big decision after all these years that i am going to give my patina ghia a paint job...it won't be for a while, and i will post in my own thread, but i was thinking about you and your amazing story of betty and the ten years. good stuff. keep on keeping on.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
congratulations john and happy anniversary! 10 years... i am almost there myself with 8 years coming up in December. i have made a big decision after all these years that i am going to give my patina ghia a paint job...it won't be for a while, and i will post in my own thread, but i was thinking about you and your amazing story of betty and the ten years. good stuff. keep on keeping on.

Thanks John, I'm still excited about my Ghia...more lighting updates coming soon.
I'm excited to hear about your '58 too...it's a tough decision to repaint but Dolphin Blue is a lovely colour and a repaint is part of the preservation process.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Tidying the garage this morning I stumbled upon my Ghia's former identity.

As one of VW's cunning plans to get round new car import restrictions, they introduced the "US Tourist Scheme" You ordered your Ghia in the US and were flown out to Germany to drive your new car on a German vacation. The car was issued with an export plate, you had your 2, 3, 4 week vacation, took it back to Osnabrück and they flew you back home.

Your USED car was shipped on to you.

Here is the plate...

So the plate was appended to the correct car...there was someone on hand, I have to say, with much better handwriting than my own to mark them with the vin number. Smile

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

That's a very sweet little piece of your Karmann Ghia's history, John, and you are indeed very lucky that the former owner (Betty, IIRC) was kind enough to pass it on with the car.
Smile

A friend of mine who recently attended the HO Vintage VW show also took the opportunity to make a side trip to visit Wolfsburg and the Volkswagen Autostadt.

According to him, Volkswagen delivers up to as many as 900 cars per day out of their fancy new fully automated Autotürme (or car towers) there in the KundenCenter (the facility where VW customers pick up their new cars).

Sadly none of those cars are for customers living in the United States, though, as apparently Volkswagen no longer offers a "European Delivery" option to US customers.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

A friend of mine who recently attended the HO Vintage VW show also took the opportunity to make a side trip to visit Wolfsburg and the Volkswagen Autostadt.

According to him, Volkswagen delivers up to as many as 900 cars per day out of their fancy new fully automated Autotürme (or car towers) there in the KundenCenter (the facility where VW customers pick up their new cars).

After the 2005 HO show a contingent of around 30 British aircooled VWs convoyed to Wolfburg and as long as they were of the vintage variety allowed to park in front of the main Wolfsburg building. Several in the convoy were in modern VWs so had to beg a lift to make it into the inner sanctum. Fortunately my 1963 15 window bus was at stock ride height...we took 10 into the factory. Smile

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Super nice piece of history for your lowlight!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Having finished my "see and be seen" exercise and the resurfacing the front drive complete I was able to get my '58 out of the garage to take it for a spin this afternoon.

I was still a little nervous that it wouldn't all work the way it should having suffered that feeling for far too many years. I needn't have worried, the 6volt LEDs front and rear work like a charm. Even though I haven't had a chance to try out my new Halogen 6volt H4 headlights I'm sure they will be like the proverbial, night & day.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 46

Jump to: