Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Cable Clogged arteries.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Clutch Cable Clogged arteries. Reply with quote

My clutch cable finally broke yesterday. This should be a quick easy fix. I cut the two remaining strands off the pedal end and went to pull the cable through from the back. It slid through just fine until, about 2/3 of the way, it gets stuck. I had to wrap the cable around a sledge hammer and use its weight to get enough force to pull it through. After this the threaded end of the new cable obviously won't go through. As I investigate, I find that the metal tube is full of some sort of grease that has hardened and is clogging the tube. It took me four hours and a whole can of degreaser to get the pipe clean with a long piece of bailing wire used like a plumbers snake.

Has anyone run into this problem? What did they fill this tube with at the factory?
stevem49090
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Angioplasti Reply with quote

The best way to clean it out is to get 2, 35" 8 gauge welding rod and weld two together. Take a ball peen hammer and flatten one end and then grind the end a bit to round the sharp edges. Throw it on the ned of a dril and proceed to clean out the clog. Go slowly if you hit a snag. It may take a bit to get through. Try it from both directions.

99 New Beetle
72 Ghia convert.
73 Westy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the clutch cable conduit is removed and replaced. This part runs between the body and the transmission. If I recall, most of the cable is exposed to the elements on a bay. The hangup may have been at the conduit. Just a guess.
volksterii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How coincidental, my clutch cable just broke last Friday. I will be replacing it tomorrow. I am hoping that I don't run into too many snags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksterii: there must be something in the SD air making these things snap. Laughing

Luckily, I was able to get it cleaned out and fish the new cable through so I could get to my 7am meeting on time.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: clutch cable Reply with quote

It is much easier to remove the cable with the Boden tube removed at the transmission,then regrease the new cable before installing and put the rubber ends on the tube if you have them...to keep the moisture out .
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bowden tube came off easily this stuff was in the long steel tube.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you finally got it cleaned out. Mine wern't that bad but I had to go thru them with swabs and solvent. Not just the clutch cable tube, but we have all the other cable tubes to deal with. Heaters, parking brakes, accelerator, etc. I think that repacking them with good lube and replacing the rubber seals at the ends should make them last another 35 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: