Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me ID this bus I found...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:
I'm not worried about the bus going anywhere before then, because you can't even see it from the road anymore, so I don't guess anyone will be stopping about it before then...

You say that now, but just wait... Laughing I'd go buy the bus first... There may be somebody on here that sees the pictures and knows the bus and will realize that somebody else knows about it and they better go buy it.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Daniel G wrote:
I'm not worried about the bus going anywhere before then, because you can't even see it from the road anymore, so I don't guess anyone will be stopping about it before then...

You say that now, but just wait... Laughing I'd go buy the bus first... There may be somebody on here that sees the pictures and knows the bus and will realize that somebody else knows about it and they better go buy it.

Many moons ago there was this '67 bus sitting on this guy's property close to my house and in plain view of the street. It sat there for a long time. I got one of them "fix it" tickets for no rear bumper so I went and talked to the guy about it. He mentioned that someone had given him like a $500 deposit over a year prior but never came back. I pleaded with the guy for the bumper and got it for $50. Razz

So I removed the bumper and thought that was it. Well, a couple of days later the bus was gone! Shocked

I figured the guy that gave the deposit thought it was safe there since it had been so for so long, but prolly drove by it every day, as I did, and seeing the bumper gone decided to just pick it up before more pieces were missing! Surprised
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Daniel G wrote:

Yeah, I guess that would suck... Laughing ...but at one time the only part of it that you could barely see was the corner of the back hatch, and if was hard to tell it was a bus even then. The reason I found at that it was a split was because I ride my four wheeler in the woods behind his house, and one day I decided to walk out as close to the guys property as I could to see what kind of bus it was...I guess the more likely scenario now is that I could have put the idea into his head about selling it, and then he might drag it out to the road where people can see it, which would suck big time for me.

If I had the cash now I would get it, but I have to get a job first before I could afford it (which wouldn't be a bad idea, anyway... Laughing ) However, I do have a lot of parts from that old '58 Kombi that I bought and stripped down last year, so I am seriously thinking about selling some of that stuff here...I have a good dash repair section, a bunch of misc hardware and popout latches, and some other stuff that would probably sell pretty easily on here, but I would hate to get rid of something that I need later on down the road. But then again, I do want this bus, so maybe I need to decide what parts I have that are going to be worth keeping, and get rid of the rest for now....

PS: If anyone reading this buys this bus out from under me, I will track you down and beat you with a bus reduction box axle...So you are being forewarned... Laughing

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to hit me over the head now? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

..and the Vulture's start to circle in the sky.....

vul·ture (vlchr)
n.
1. Any of various large birds of prey of the New World family Cathartidae or of the Old World family Accipitridae, characteristically having dark plumage and a featherless head and neck and generally feeding on carrion.
2. A person of a rapacious, predatory, or profiteering nature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!! Daniel turned me onto the Bus, he even went and haggled with the guy for me! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBus wrote:
LOL!!! Daniel turned me onto the Bus, he even went and haggled with the guy for me! Wink

Pics or it didn't happen Cool
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be taking it out of there in May,

Me, Adam AND DANIEL went by and talked to the owner today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From what Adam says it was built on April 22.

I Asked the owner if I could have the TV and he agreed! Wink

I am also rolling those awesome scoops, (Until they fly off)
denniger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You almost have a 65 Walk-Through Standard Microbus, fairly complete, with six popouts, headliner, kick panels throughout... and, with an intense amount of cargo floor, drivers floor and rocker rust, still, not a bad bus. In my Airporter Kombi, I literally constructed an entire driverīs floor out of plywood... then took it on the Shasta Snow Trip! Before you and the old dude commit to a price, tell him itīs fair HE sees the intense corrosion under the front driverīs floor mat, and more importantly, whatīs left of the cargo floor under the floor mat in the back -if itīs still there. No more than $500.

Donīt be surprised when all four tires take air and hold, unless the bead is broken, so attempt to inflate before waisting time pulling them. Find a drum puller, and donīt even try sweet talking that thing out of there with out one. The front wheels will turn without using it, the rears will need to come completely off.

Put a deposit on the bus NOW. Obe Wan to Luke: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany" Seal the deal.

Kombisutra has hijacked his brotherīs computer!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep $500 is the price.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my bus in minot north dakota for 200 bucks and it had little rust on it. crappy 6 to 12 v conversion, engine leaked a quart every 1 mile, transmission whined above 2nd. guess what I towed it home with?...my 1966 beetle!!!! that I drove out of minots junkyard for 600 bucks...just needed brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bumpers and uncut dash. Lots of luck with it. I am getting more motivated to see what others are doing so I can work on my little $500. 66 Camper bus, in transit.

www.freewebs.com/lindagrunthaner

Happy Motoring,
Linda
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is original paint then it is something special because sea blue/blue white is a one year only color.
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to get it this am, i'll post up pics.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any day on those pics...
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take more pics today. It definatly has some problem areas. Doglegs and around the cargo doors. The driver's side rocker looks somewhat salvageable, but the passenger side all the way to the rear tire well is gone. Both rear corners are gone as well, as are the trays, but for a bus that has been sitting for 20 years in pretty much a swamp, it's in good condition.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: tv Reply with quote

The TV looks like it could be an old tube model. If so, and you cant get it operating, at least pull the tubes out and check them with a tube checker. Many of the old tubes are no longer being made (some still are for high end tube audio amplifiers) and are sought out by vintage tv/radio buffs. You can always shelve the tubes if the set isnt salvageable. It's probably better to just try to ebay the tubes though since over time they will all loose vaccuum and become worthless. I dont know if anyone is revaccuuming them/ rehabbing them with fresh gasses.

I have no idea what kind of value old tubes could have.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: tv Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
The TV looks like it could be an old tube model. If so, and you cant get it operating, at least pull the tubes out and check them with a tube checker. Many of the old tubes are no longer being made (some still are for high end tube audio amplifiers) and are sought out by vintage tv/radio buffs. You can always shelve the tubes if the set isnt salvageable. It's probably better to just try to ebay the tubes though since over time they will all loose vaccuum and become worthless. I dont know if anyone is revaccuuming them/ rehabbing them with fresh gasses.

I have no idea what kind of value old tubes could have.

Without question, the only reason he towed the bus out of the swamp AND paid $500 was just for the old tubes in the TV Rolling Eyes

Good score -on the bus-, congratulations. And the swap-scum vultures didn't snake it out from under you after all!
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBus wrote:

Well, as you can see, I can vouch for the fact that it drives damn nice! Laughing
That Bus definately has some potential to be a cool Bus. I can't wait for it to be roaming the roads around here.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're driving this to CTS instead of the Deathbus, right??

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: