Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiper won't park - one speed motor with 2 speed switch
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timotaeus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: wiper won't park - one speed motor with 2 speed switch Reply with quote

Hi

I have installed a rebuilt one speed wiper motor and 2 speed switch but the wipers don't park when the switch is turn off. Parking happens when I turn the switch to the first on position then the wipers are active. When I turn the switch to the off position the wipers stop but won't park. Switch them on they park and start wiping. there is only one way to install the motor.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance. Tim
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: wiper won't park - one speed motor with 2 speed switch Reply with quote

Study the original wiper and switch diagram. Note that the "switch" is not a typical depiction of a switch for electrical wiring - the picture here represents a rotating conductor, the conductor (line in the middle of the switch) rotates about an imaginary center when you turn on-off the wipers. Also note that the park function of the motor is powered when the switch is on and "off".
Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: wiper won't park - one speed motor with 2 speed switch Reply with quote

The wiper switch body is supposed to be grounded but your fiberglass dashboard is not providing a ground. When the switch is off terminal 31b hooks to the switch body and in a Bug that provides a path to ground through the metal dash. This ground connection stops the wiper motor quickly (plug braking) when the switch is off and the wipers reach the park position. Without a ground connection at the switch the wiper motor may coast through the park position and back to the point where power to run to the motor to reach the park position is restored (that is why 12v power is applied to the motor, not just the switch).
Timotaeus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: wiper won't park - one speed motor with 2 speed switch Reply with quote

S

orry I posted this in kit car forum but It's a 1965 type 1 sedan. I have a ground to the switch. the wipers work but park first and I am still confused about the park function. I am think about buying a one speed switch on 3Bay and they are not available at any of the vw parts houses. I have another good one speed motor too, so if there is a motor issue which I don't think there is, but just in case. thanks for your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: