Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ok type 2 gurus, i got a 61 kombi and need to learn
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: ok type 2 gurus, i got a 61 kombi and need to learn Reply with quote

alright so like the title states, i bought a january 61 all OG sealing wax red kombi. this is the first bus ive owned although ive worked on a few.

i want to learn as much about buses and their specific attributes/history as possible...be a sponge for information. ive been reading extensively on the samba and other type two websites and have already gathered a wealth of information.

but i have a few specific questions about my bus that hopefully some guru's can shed some light on.

first one being interior. i understand that kombi's were a utility vehicle..one step up from a panel. the front cab had grey board panels. what im wondering is, what all was included aft of the bulkhead? did kombi's come with any rear and middle seats? ive read that some came with none, some came with rear only, and some came with both middle and rear. middle being a flip down seat correct?

well my bus didnt have original rears, only the correct hump bench front. ive got a bay window rear and 2/3 middle from a walkthrough that i will use temporarily for comfort and convenience. i have an upholstry shop at my disposal...so how can i make these bay seats appear as correct as possible. i know the legs are probably wrong...but if i had them covered and stitched the same as original, could they look half decent? obviously the grab handle and ass tray would be removed from the back of the 2/3 seat.

im also planning on getting a complete set of interior grey board panels from Clara @ Sunrise bus. did kombi's ever have any interior panels behind the bulkhead? i think it would be a nice look and still look 'kombi' and utilitarian. thoughts?

my m-code plate is quite boring and unfortunately not loaded Sad (only "north american export two popouts) but i still think its an awesome bus. my question, at the bottom it simply says RED and the model number is 231. does this mean it was not painted at the factory...just in primer? does RED mean sealing wax or could it have been ruby?

another one...is my bus supposed to have a thin or fat lipped package shelf? mine is thin and as far as i can tell its original.

i havent seen much in the way of all SWR buses, and fewer kombi's. is this a relatively rare color/model combo or do i just not know where to look.

another quick question, the lower hinge pin on the passenger front door is tight, what is the best way to remove it and replace with another?

thank you!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pix! Confused
67texan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle and rear seats were standard equipment on Kombis. They didn't have any panels behind the bulkhead, including headliner. Sealing wax red is a cool color and that's what 'RED' indicates on the m-code plate - if you search for 'sealing' in the gallery you'll find a few early kombis. Ruby red was used on commercial busses starting in '62.

I'm not sure about your seat question concerning how close you can make baywindow seats look to stock, but I know a lot of folks run 'em. And I have no idea about the package shelf.

Now, how about some pics?
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Pix! Confused

Agreed!

(can that really be???)

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sled--
Try spraying some PBblaster several different times on the door hinge pin.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67texan wrote:
Middle and rear seats were standard equipment on Kombis. They didn't have any panels behind the bulkhead, including headliner. Sealing wax red is a cool color and that's what 'RED' indicates on the m-code plate - if you search for 'sealing' in the gallery you'll find a few early kombis. Ruby red was used on commercial busses starting in '62.

I'm not sure about your seat question concerning how close you can make baywindow seats look to stock, but I know a lot of folks run 'em. And I have no idea about the package shelf.

Now, how about some pics?

Middle and rear seats are not standard equipment on kombis.

My kombi does not have them and has no mountings for them on the floor. it was not m coded tohave them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from theSamba dictionary under "K" for Kombi:

Quote:
Kombi Most often confused with a standard Microbus, the Kombi (model 23) is basically a Panel Bus with windows and seats. The Kombi (combination vehicle) has three windows down each side (in addition to the passenger/drivers doors) was painted in solid colors and was not fitted with any interior panels behind the front cabin area or any of the molding or trim found on a Deluxe Microbus. A middle and rear seat were also fitted to the Kombi, but there were no other interior amenities in the cargo area. It could even be ordered with a sunroof! The Kombi was used as the base model for Westfalia in the production of Campers (SO42 and SO44) as well as some Emergency vehicles.

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67texan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

My kombi does not have them and has no mountings for them on the floor. it was not m coded tohave them.

My bad - I thought that they came with seats but could be ordered without them. I did a quick search through the m-code listings and didn't really find anything to back up either side of the argument. I found one m-code that specs 'middle and rear seats plus panels' (013) and two for 'rear seat only' (177 & 180), but none of them listed the Model that they were available on. I did find some m-codes for 'cargo floor mountings for middle seat' but the only models listed for those were standards and deluxes.

My '60 double cab has floor mountings for a middle seat and I don't know of any DC that came with one - my pedestal and rear seat fit great, however.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67texan wrote:
krusher wrote:

My bad - I thought that they came with seats but could be ordered without them. I did a quick search through the m-code listings and didn't really find anything to back up either side of the argument. I found one m-code that specs 'middle and rear seats plus panels' (013) and two for 'rear seat only' (177 & 180), but none of them listed the Model that they were available on. I did find some m-codes for 'cargo floor mountings for middle seat' but the only models listed for those were standards and deluxes.

they were a seperate m-code, but the majority of kombis in the USA came with M13 which was middle and rear seats. these M13 split buses didn't come with cargo area panels unless they had a seperate M-code for that. M13 is for kombis only.

there were kombis that were ordered to be used for campers, and they commonly did not have middle/rear seats. also there were standards and deluxes that were special ordered with no middle seat.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derv wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Pix! Confused

Agreed!

(can that really be???)

Derv agreed with pyrOman.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Jan '61 RED is SWR. They also used RED to mean Ruby Red, but that was not available for a '61, AFAIK
SWR is a beautiful color.
model 231 is a kombi. post your entire M-code plate if you like.

You should have a thin lipped parcel tray, like this early '61 SWR DC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(see the og paint drip to the left of the ig switch)

Thick lipped trays started ~ April 1961

For sticky hinge pins, just use PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil. You will find when it is lubed, it is not tight.
Oil all your hinges and door mechanisms, actually. Lightly grease the striker plates.

searching the gallery for "sealing" or "SWR" brings up loads of SWR buses, including these:

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive searched sealing and found a few in the gallery...but i was looking for more specifically kombi's that are SWR...there appears to be very few (on the samba anyway) there is only one other ive found and its a guy down in florida.

here is mine. it is the same one on the trailer that clara posted. its a very complete bus, with i believe 78,xxx og miles. the only thing missing was the ash tray and rear tail lights. i have gotten an og paint SWR ash tray and will be ordering some flat tail light sets. has correct hump front bench seat. there is odd rust on this thing...the left and right front floors were bad which is common, but there is zero nose valance rust and zero rust in the doglegs *except for the lower steps are pretty bad. also the front cargo door inner structure is gone...while the rear cargo door inner is really nice Question . the cargo rocker is shot as well. the bus tipped over at one point and there are some scratches on the drivers side...but it didnt even break the stationary glass.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a pretty good project. i really like 61 buses. if you don't have option M503 your bus only had front cab panels. you will need the correct seats for your bus. the bay seats are different, but will work ok until you find the right seats.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the '61 I used to own:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/scrapbook/61kombi/

It is not original paint on the outside.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh.............that shite will buff out Sled.

Nice.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you bought the bus from Aaron... nice
So, what are you wanting to see in the pics, anyway?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

???

nothing in the pictures i posted, i was hoping to find more swr kombi's. but its proving to be tough. just the one down in florida and everetts old kombi.

did you happen to get my pm clara?
SkyDawgVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: ok type 2 gurus, i got a 61 kombi and need to learn Reply with quote

14 years later…looks like we have a similar bus
Mine was built Aug 2 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: