Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deedee22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

I have two small kids and plan on doing some long road trips with my two young kids and wife. I'm just finishing the Subaru 2.5 conversion on an 87 GL. Man it took way way longer than I had thought, but it looks like we're closing in and I'm starting to dream about constant upgrades and trips and pouring money into all the things that I've never heard of that go out on a 30 yr vehicle. I'm about 6'2 and like the idea of the extra storage of the high top as well as being able to stand up in there and also sleeping the two kids (though it'll most likely be storage on the long road trips I assume.
So that said, what do people think about having the NAHT along with this thing strapped on top of it?
http://newatlas.com/ikamper-skycamp-roof-tent/48146/
It kind of feels like I can have my high top and my pop top too? Or would that just be ridiculous? Or is it not ridiculous? Or is it ridiculous but but in a good way? I'm a newborn in the ways of the Vanagon but dangit I have spirit and enthusiasm and am in it for the long haul.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

I too have been very interested in a modified hightop for my van as you can see from the following link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575530

the addition of an additional roof tent is a possibility as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8355350#8355350

I am finally in a position to mock one of these up on my 87 westy, and hope to sell a few if things work out.

I am 6'-2 as well, and want something just a bit taller than I am.

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

you can have your cake and sleep in it too.

see this page on this thread...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8117426
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it's only $$ afterall.

but for me, I'd talk to a fiberglass shop about adding onto a stock westy fiberglass top.. well that's what I'm doing, since I don't have $4k+ for a NAHT and still wanting the poptop space & ventilation.

but then there's plenty of space up top for kids anyways..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7738425#7738425
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noelleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

There is so much room in the sleeping area of a NAHT. (those are my two kids in the shot above! Cool
I'd recomend either finding one to go visit and hang out in before over complicating things.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

The two things I would have hesitation about (having a NAHT myself):

1) The van is already about 9 feet tall, that rooftop tent and a rack to hold it would probably get it up to 10 feet or more

2) I would be worried about making it top-heavy. That said, I've seen photos somewhere here of someone carrying a canoe on their NAHT, so maybe not such a big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deedee22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

3dig wrote:
I too have been very interested in a modified hightop for my van as you can see from the following link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575530&highlight=

the addition of an additional roof tent is a possibility as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8355350&highlight=#8355350

I am finally in a position to mock one of these up on my 87 westy, and hope to sell a few if things work out.

I am 6'-2 as well, and want something just a bit taller than I am.

cheers

I just read the whole thing and am very interested. I spend a lot of time up in Bellingham (I'm in seattle) and would be happy to bring mine up there to get fitted. Also I'd be happy to give a deposit too. So let me know. The #10 is killer. Wow. Very impressed.
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

Deedee22 wrote:
I have two small kids and plan on doing some long road trips with my two young kids and wife. I'm just finishing the Subaru 2.5 conversion on an 87 GL. Man it took way way longer than I had thought, but it looks like we're closing in and I'm starting to dream about constant upgrades and trips and pouring money into all the things that I've never heard of that go out on a 30 yr vehicle. I'm about 6'2 and like the idea of the extra storage of the high top as well as being able to stand up in there and also sleeping the two kids (though it'll most likely be storage on the long road trips I assume.
So that said, what do people think about having the NAHT along with this thing strapped on top of it?
http://newatlas.com/ikamper-skycamp-roof-tent/48146/
It kind of feels like I can have my high top and my pop top too? Or would that just be ridiculous? Or is it not ridiculous? Or is it ridiculous but but in a good way? I'm a newborn in the ways of the Vanagon but dangit I have spirit and enthusiasm and am in it for the long haul.

We live in our naht full time, here's my thoughts:
1. The fiberglass version would never support that tent with out some exterior racking for support.
2. I'm 6'1" and the wife 6' there's plenty of room to stand, stretch etc in the naht.
3. Adding the pop top is asking for water intrusion problems, the best part about the naht is true four season living. The only advantage i see with a poptop is ventilation for condesation management but during heavy condesation times, i.e. Cold temps or wet weather you wouldn't want to pop it anyway.
Deedee22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

Yeah at this point I'm really just hoping I can get one from 3dig. Since I live so close his would be perfect.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Curious about combining a high top with a rooftop tent Reply with quote

Deedee,

Im ready to get this ball rolling, lets continue this chat via email.
I will send you my address.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: