Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

I rode over and checked out these rear sliders at VC today. Black frames, locks similar to the vanagon ones(not like the weird GW version) looks like a decent product.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2591_1324/sliding_rear_window_drivers_side.html
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2592_1324/sliding_rear_window_passenger_side.html
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

^^^^^
Looks identical to the ones RMW sells (makes?):
http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/253847765_p/253847765.htm
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^^^

They are. These are made in Europe and have just started to be imported. The quality is really nice.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Any chance of getting some made with the knob on the far back?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These were available as an option in Europe. The back pane slides forward, the knob is in the far back acute angle of the glass. Another picture:

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Any chance of getting some made with the knob on the far back?

These were available as an option in Europe. The back pane slides forward, the knob is in the far back acute angle of the glass. Another picture:

Not likely. They make hundreds of these at a time to hit the very attractive price point they have found. They wouldn't be interested in a custom. These are manufactured in Europe too. I know you have a tin top but this window with the latch in the back wouldn't work with a Westy cabinet which would be the other challenge for them to consider manufacturing it.
[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Are these new sliding rear windows available with a screen or compatible with this one designed for the oem sliding windows?: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1665_175/right-sliding-window-screen-westy-pop-top-only.html

No mention of it on the VC or RMW sites.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Are these new sliding rear windows available with a screen or compatible with this one designed for the oem sliding windows?: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1665_175/right-sliding-window-screen-westy-pop-top-only.html

No mention of it on the VC or RMW sites.

There are two types of oem middle sliding windows: One for the Carat and regular Vanagon types that has a 50% opening. They have the locking knob in the forward corner of the glass and obviously cannot have a screen pernanently attached as it would interfere with the knob. These rear sliders are of the same type.

Campers have a slider with smaller opening (about 30%) due to the locking knob beeing located further back on the glass. This is done in order to fit a screen pernanently to the window and still beeing able to open and close the window.

So the answer is no, these rear sliders are not compatible with the permanently mounted screens. There are however screens available designeds to be fitted after the window is opened, and removed when closing the window.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation. Do you have a source for the screens that can be fitted after the windows are open? I'm surprised VC and RMW don't have them offered as options.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Although these are for the middle windows they likely will also work with the new rear sliders.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1774570

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Talk to Abel... if he isn't already making a screen that will work for these windows, I'm sure he can get some fabricated.

http://texasvanagons.com/texasvanagons-bug-screens/

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

The screens are also available with louvers for rainy days :

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....255000002A
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Can someone confirm how these new windows open? Are the latches at the front on both sides and the window opening at the back or does it differ depending on the side.

There was a comment in another thread that the passenger side opening is at the rear, so it would open behind the the seat, which isn't what I would want.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Can someone confirm how these new windows open? Are the latches at the front on both sides and the window opening at the back or does it differ depending on the side.

The latches are toward the front, and the front part of the window slides back. So the window openings are more toward the center of the van.

The window can 'park' in multiple spots. I like how they've kept the latch mechanism similar to stock. Quality is good, although the frame and channeling isn't perfectly straight. Mine slides pretty tight. Shouldn't be an issue.

I picked one up for the driver's side last weekend, got it tinted this week, and plan to install it tomorrow. Not opening it for a week (because of the tint) will take a bit of self control.

As a side note, parallel parking a vanagon at night with limo tint windows is kind of hard. Embarassed

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

There was a comment in another thread that the passenger side opening is at the rear, so it would open behind the the seat, which isn't what I would want.

I have a pair mounted in a van if you want to check them out. Let me know.
[email protected]

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Although these are for the middle windows they likely will also work with the new rear sliders.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1774570

the screens seen like a nice addition, I sleep in my tin top at times and like the idea of bug free ventalation. however with the large opening covered with screen, it would be very easy for a crook to punch thru the screen and reach in to unlock the sliding door or even the front doors.

Id like to see a solution for the window opening that moves the opening towards the rear, combine that with a smaller opening that is screened in and you have a winner I think, security, ventalation and bug proof.

I like the idea of the rearside windows opening as this keeps a crook at greater than arms length from the door locks. id prefer that the two panes of glass be staggered such that wind from forward driving wont tend to blow in the gap between panes (ie outer most pane be forawrd of inner most pane) screens would be nice to have, but the screen issues is minor for many DIY folks compaired to making a window frame and cutting glass. the jail bar idea is classy, like the old microbuses had, and not only would prevent heads from being wacked by the door, but also help keep baggage from falling out of the rear cargo area.

of course cost is a real concern. right now I really need to save for a new paint job, and that is a lot of dough.

many nice ideas here.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fabricate rear side windows that open? Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^^^

They are. These are made in Europe and have just started to be imported. The quality is really nice.

These are very tempting. My backseat passengers and dog would love them. My only concern is giving up the window vents, I've always read they provide superior ventilation. How noticeable would it be getting rid of them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixing my pics in this thread
to note this DIY method is nearly free.. the example below utilizes mixing a westy & pass middle glass. BUT it can be done entirely with a passenger van 50/50 middle window. it allows enough slide to allow the same sized final opening.. just with more glass overlap.
so a 50/50 window is all you need outside of a filler panel that I made from 1/8masonite and a skin of aluminum flashing.. which you can get in brown/silver and maybe black.

essentially what you are doing is squeezing the window shorter.

danfromsyr wrote:
I should add note that I already had a fixed rear piece of solid glass to use as a guide & template.
if you don't have a spare, then you'll need to remove your rear glass in order to match up the outer profile to make your filler piece.
my pieces went in tight, so I could recommend to make it slightly smaller than the OEM glass. say 1/8" or so to allow easier install of the rubber seal.. the window is held in afterall by the whole perimiter of the seal so even if it's a little loose, it'll set in and seal fine.

to make a rear portion slider like mine above
I used the Drivers side slider section from a Passanger van (50/50 window)
and a Drivers side fixed section from a Westfalia (30/70 window)

If you were going to make a rear slider window with the front half that opens, you would want the donating parts from the Passanger side.
*unless you were also making one of these for the driver's rear corner.

this did cause some confusion to my at times befuddled mind. but in the end It worked out.

If you're in doubt of ability to make a filler piece, then the $70 kit offered by spitsnrovers might not be a bad deal.
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/slider.htm

Hmm, looks like his just shortens a single stock Passanger van 50/50 middle window. allowing more overlap and less window opening than the mix&match of 2 donor windows (1westy/1pass van) but I had already pulled my Driverside middle window to install the Bay Jalousie window for more ventillation & rain protection.

Quote:

But here is my version.
The route I chose was to shorten a standard Vanagon sliding-door slider-window, and keep the corners at the original radii. This would eliminate the need to rebend the anodized aluminum channel to fit the two non-square corners at the rear of the window, and having to splice a piece of channel into the back end to account for the longer diagonal.

In this version a black plastic filler was made to replace the vent unit that was originally there.

A modification kit consisting of the machined black plastic filler piece, new fuzzy weather strip and 10 page instructions with measurements and photos is available for $70. Contact me by emailing Mail Us. Payment can be made by PayPal

*edit, Hmm looking at each closer the allowable window opening is the same if you use Westy &Pass glass or just shorten the Pass frame with both Pass window pieces. the only differance is there is more of an overlap, the amount of opening is determined by when the sliding portion (Pass slider glass) hits the rubber bumper in the shortened frame. which is the same in both versions.. so no need to use a Westy short piece other than asthetics or personal choice.

these images are of just a modified pass van slider. showing opening & overlapp.
Open

Closed

here are images from my DIY modification to make a rear corner sliding window so that my canine co-pilot can look out and get fresh air from the back bed.. also nice to have open while sleeping (w/screen over)
Used MDF hardboard for inside filler piece covered with a thin sheet of Stainless, but aluminum flashing would work well
stock frame is cut 8 & 1/8" shorter, make sure you plan to seal the cuts with a quality clear glue/silicon sealer. the lower cut frame will leak inside otherwise.
this is assembled in reverse to allow rear most section to slide open for canine access from back cushion.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: