Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY PRIOR TO PERFORMING ANY SORT OF ELECTRICAL WORK ON YOUR VEHICLE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR VEHICLE. THIS INFORMATION IS SIMPLY TO BE USED AS A GUIDE FOR REFERENCE.

Now with the legalities out of the way, Laughing

So after browsing around and getting inspiration from several other members ideas, I decided to install some interior lighting above the rear bench seat in my 82 full camper. As with most of the mods on my van, I set out to install the lights with the least possible amount of drilling/bending/cutting or modifying. I like all of my "upgrades" to be reversible, should I ever change my mind, go with different lights, or have to replace the lights down the road. With this in mind, I decided against using recessed lighting as others have done. I just couldn't bring myself to drill the 3" holes into the metal cross member.

After lots of searching, I selected these lights for my install. They are designed for household cabinet use, as they come with a 110v > 12v wall plug adapter, which I simply set aside and had no need to use. I would be wiring the lights directly to the 12v battery. They are full LED, 12v and 4w per light, and came included with a dimmer switch. They had good reviews, and the price was right for $30. Pulled the trigger and got to work 3 days later once I had them in my procession.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZG2369/ref=twister_B07CZGVHQ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First order of business was to find a source of constant 12v power (terminal 30) so that the lights can be used regardless of key position. I chose to splice into the circuit for the kitchen galley light, which on my 82 is run off of fuse 8 up front. I ran my new wire back behind the cardboard trim above the spice rack, to the upper bunk support. I then removed the upper bunk support trim piece via the 4 Phillips head screws. I will be mounting my lights to this removable bar.

Next I position the two lights where I wanted to mount them. I marked the positions and drilled 2 small holes for the wiring to run through.

They lights came with steel base plates that you would normally screw to a wood cabinet. Then the lights (which are magnetic) would stick to them. I tried mounting the lights directly to the rail, since the rail is made of steel. Although they did 'stick', they did not feel secure enough to me. I could have taken apart the lights and added some stronger magnets, but I instead decided to simply use some 3M double sided tape to mount them.

The three lights each came with their own quick disconnect plug end on them, which then plugged into a junction box so that the single power supply could control all of the lights. Since I am only using two lights, and also due to space constraints, I decided to cut off the quick connect ends and simply crimp connect the two lights together. This is what is looked like once the wiring was all finished up.

I decided the best location for the main power switch/dimmer assembly was on the far passenger side of the rail, mounted to the underside with some more 3M tape. In this way, it is easily accessible from the rear bench seat in either bench or bed layout. It is also easily reached from outside the van with the slider door fully open. In this way, you don't have to climb into the van to turn the lights on.

I used a few of the included sticky mounts to help organize the wiring on the underside of the trim piece. Then slid the bar back into place and reinstalled the 4 Phillips screws. And voila! Cheap and efficient lighting for the entire rear of your van!

Here is a photo with the lights at FULL POWER

And another photo at FULL DIM

At night, even the dimmest setting is more than enough to fill the whole van with a nice warm glow.

For the power nerds, here are my current measurements, taken directly at the fuse.

FULL POWER = 0.70 AMPS
HALF POWER = 0.42 AMPS
LOWEST SETTING = 0.07 AMPS

Overall I am very happy with these lights, although I cannot (at this time) comment on their longevity. I see no reason why they would not last for the long haul though. They appear very well made.

In retrospect, this may not have been a fully detailed DIY, but I hope it can help someone out there looking to upgrade the lighting in their van.

Comments, questions, etc all welcome. Happy camping!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

that looks great...nice work.

Do those lights put off a warm light or cold light? I know a lot of LED's were pretty cold at first, but now they have some with a warmer light - a little more yellow -how would you describe it? I know it is pretty near impossible to capture in a photo.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

Nice write up. The results look good. I installed some LED lights in my van and went remote rf controllers. After a few similar projects I ended up with extra remotes. Now I have four remotes to control the lights in the van: the driver's seat, on either side of the slider and from the hatch. It's ridiculous overkill...and always kinda fun.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

I got some remote LED battery powered things...but they were pretty useless, the remotes pretty much never worked, unless I was so close to the light I could just reach out and touch it.

I'd like to get something like these - I just worry about the color temp...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

Frankly, I haven't found any LEDs that have a color temp that I like, including Phillips dimmable LED warm lights for use at home. I dim my incancescents at home to candle-like warmth and LEDs don't come close to my preferred lighting.

For Vanagon use I've added photo gels to the LED fixtures which warms the light considerably although it's still not incandescent quality. I'm obsessive in this regard and it sounds like you may be too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYHVAK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, here's the remote dimmer I've had good luck with. It's RF based so line of sight is not required:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LE8FMYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: camper rear bench seat LED lighting Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Do those lights put off a warm light or cold light? I know a lot of LED's were pretty cold at first, but now they have some with a warmer light - a little more yellow -how would you describe it? I know it is pretty near impossible to capture in a photo.

The lights I got are advertised as 3000k color temp. I'd say this is fairly accurate. They are definitely not "cool white", far from it. I have other LEDS in the van that are rated at 2500-2700k I believe. When I have both sets of lights on, I can tell that these puck lights are "cooler" than my other LEDS. I'm not super picky with the color output, so long as it isn't the harsh cool white, which these definitely are not.

jimf909 wrote:
Nice write up. The results look good. I installed some LED lights in my van and went remote rf controllers. After a few similar projects I ended up with extra remotes. Now I have four remotes to control the lights in the van: the driver's seat, on either side of the slider and from the hatch. It's ridiculous overkill...and always kinda fun.

I've had wireless and battery (like AAA, not car battery) operated lights in the van previously with lousy results. Probably didn't help that they were the $20 walmart set though. Seemed like the remote range was mediocre at best, and the batteries seems to go dead even when the lights were not in use. I probably could have had better luck with a nicer kit, but decided on this route instead. I personally don't mind not having a remote control for them.

I've never thought about using the light filters though, thats something to keep in mind for my future lighting projects.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: