Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identify a bus...?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Help identify a bus...? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I normally wander about in the vanagon site, courtesy of my 82 (assertive note of togetherness: Air Cooled Rules!), but recently came across a slide of the origin of my love affair with VW busses. Wondering if you all could help me identify year/model.

The pic is taken in 67 or so; My Mom and my older brother, and behind them the ghost that haunts my dreams ~

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lanval.de.logres/LanvalSBusses/photo#5095817443768036802

I've a couple of pix from the back, but not very useful (unless you want the original color of the drapes/cushions).

Thanks,

Lanval
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify a bus...? Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Greetings all,

I normally wander about in the vanagon site, courtesy of my 82 (assertive note of togetherness: Air Cooled Rules!), but recently came across a slide of the origin of my love affair with VW busses. Wondering if you all could help me identify year/model.

The pic is taken in 67 or so; My Mom and my older brother, and behind them the ghost that haunts my dreams ~

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lanval.de.logres/LanvalSBusses/photo#5095817443768036802

I've a couple of pix from the back, but not very useful (unless you want the original color of the drapes/cushions).

Thanks,

Lanval

That's a U.S. spec late-'67 pop-top Westfalia camper. Cool pic!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want those curtains!
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, late 67. It has reverse lights. I would say the color is pearl white. Roof Rack must be original but I see no tent rail m coded C42 I think. Pop Top no Tent. Roof Rack Dealer Option??? unknown

Post the other pics...

PS - Definitely a great bus, just camped in mine (67 westy) / (on my 5.5 acres with my 5 yr old son). Pretty sad when it takes the 5 yr old old to ask when can we go camping (he just really wants to sleep in the bus). NOT A BAD THING!!!

Last edited by abuspilot on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool pic! Looks just like my own Pearl White '66 SO-42(minus 41 years of wear!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more pix added, more coming later in the week. Background - Mom is preggers with me (due June 68 ) by which time my Dad was stationed in Vietnam (flew jets for the Marines).

The pic is thus probably late fall of 67. Paternal Grandmother and brother round out the family. Don't remember the dog's name, might be Lady.

Pix are at the same link.

Thanks for the warm reception ~ I bought my '82 so I can spend time with my family, see the great US. My 4 yr old, loves, no LOVES the bus, aka, The Beach Bus - you can see the beginnings of my semi-resto at the same link. Just go up a step, and check out my Westy links. Three Westys in one spot.

Course, now I'm on the look out for a barn door baby.... there's a reason the word 'cool' is in air-cooled Twisted Evil

Best,

Lanval
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovin the other pictures too!

Here is a pic of our Westy when it was new, also back in 67...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those old photos have a certain look to them that you can't seem to get nowadays...not sure what it is...
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door/shelf is bottom line, ultra-cool. Coupled with the icebox... makes me wanna put on some Bossa-Nova, mix cocktails and dance in the eternal twilight...

As for the pix, I won't bore you with the ultra-academic version, but the colors fade over time, giving the picture a softer, 'washed' feeling. It's one of the reasons that B/W photos from even earlier eras (the golden age of Hollywood for example) can seem so much more crisp and 'modern' if that's the right word.

There is also something to be said about the equipment, which, if it lacks the digital clarity of modern photography, adds a bit of 'warmth' by virtue of its lack of crystalline effect. I have many, many photos taken as slides by my family in the 50s and 60s, and though the color has degraded, the quality of the original film was sufficient (remember when America was a great industrial nation, capable of creating the products the world wanted?) to give a lustre which is retained, in spite of its age.

Or so it seems to me, anyway.

More pix to come, gotta sleep, gotta work, gotta get money to throw at the Westy.

Thanks for the positive interest, guys.

Best to all,

Lanval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: