Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Cleaner and Crankcase Vent Hose Q's (74 dual carbs)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Air Cleaner and Crankcase Vent Hose Q's (74 dual carbs) Reply with quote

i am trying to get my 74 back to as close to stock as possible. i have the stock air filter with stock dual carbs.
in referencing the below pic:
where does hose #17 go? i know it attaches to the intake of the air filter, but where does the other end attach?
where does hose #27 vent to? the air filter somewhere?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also, on the left side carb, there is a vent on the top of the carb. where does that vent to, as in where would the hose from that vent attach to?

links to previous threads or actual pics would be greatly appreciated.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHosesCarb.html

amskeptic has a bunch of highlighted overhead pics in the gallery somewhere that might also be helpful (none include hot pants).

Last edited by mattcuddy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 goes into the area above the battery. this hose is designed to allow cooler air into the intake as the engine warms up. it draws air from directly below the side vent on the body. this hose is completely NLA and is not a size that is easy to find for any other application - 63mm diameter. this is an important hose and i know from personal experience that having it intact will lower engine temperatures.

27 is attached to the air box, top right side there is a nipple.

the vent on the top of the left carb is attached to #20 in the diagram, via a rubber elbow (16). it is an important part of the central idle circuit.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i found this pic to be very helpful:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=62423
i am running the later style paper element filter assembly, so ratwell's pics, while great, were not 100% accurate to what i have.

scott, where exactly does that #17 hose attach? is there a flange on the body that i do not see/can not feel? could i just run a hose over towards the battery?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 doesn't attach to anything at the end away from the filter housing. it simply ends in the open space above the battery. i believe it is held by a zip-tie. also, if you don't have #19, the #17 hose will not fit, 19 is an adapter of sorts.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a ratwell pic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that hose just ending in space seems so un-VW-like to me.

thanks for all the help, i appreciate it. being a bay newbie-tard and all, this sure helps me a lot.

Last edited by hazetguy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
that hose just ending in space seems so un-VW-like to me.

indeed. but that is how it was done.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Air Cleaner and Crankcase Vent Hose Q's (74 dual carbs) Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
17 goes into the area above the battery. this hose is designed to allow cooler air into the intake as the engine warms up. it draws air from directly below the side vent on the body. this hose is completely NLA and is not a size that is easy to find for any other application - 63mm diameter. this is an important hose and i know from personal experience that having it intact will lower engine temperatures

germansupplyscott wrote:
17 doesn't attach to anything at the end away from the filter housing. it simply ends in the open space above the battery. i believe it is held by a zip-tie. also, if you don't have #19, the #17 hose will not fit, 19 is an adapter of sorts.

What is the external diameter of the air-filter housing spigot, onto which the adapter, Item No. 19 is fitted?

If it either 55 mm or 60 mm, then there are commonly available hoses, of this internal diameter, which could be used in place of Item Nos. 17 & 19.

Alternatively, fabricate a home-made adapter, whose external diameter, corresponds to the internal diameter, of a commonly available hose.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
scott, where exactly does that #17 hose attach? is there a flange on the body that i do not see/can not feel? could i just run a hose over towards the battery?

That hose attaches to brackets on the gas tank hose section in the corner above/in front of the battery. Some 74 Buses have the brackets, some don't. I had two identical orange 74 Westies once, one had them, one didn't. The one that had them was an April 74, the one without was a January 74 IIRC. I've never seen the #17 hose before--glad to know what those brackets were for!

Later

Mel
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another of Colin's fine pics. It gives a little more detail to the hoses, as they are color coded.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/152097.jpg

My '72 has those brackets. I didn't have a clue what they were for. Thanks for the pics guys. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Air Cleaner and Crankcase Vent Hose Q's (74 dual carbs) Reply with quote

Sunshine_the_bus wrote:
Here's another of Colin's fine pics. It gives a little more detail to the hoses, as they are color coded.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/152097.jpg

My '72 has those brackets. I didn't have a clue what they were for. Thanks for the pics guys. Peace!

I notice from the illustration, that the engine pictured, had an ignition vacuum retard connection and Exhaust Gas Recirculation connections, not found on the British specification, 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2, AP-sereies engines, with twin-Solex carburettors.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for all the info. i went to the junkyard this afternoon, and found some ducting that i believe was in a mercedes, under the dash. it is close enough to fit on the air filter piece after i cut a couple slots in the end that fits over the opening. pretty close, and it will work for now, until a better substitute can be found.

NASkeet wrote:
What is the external diameter of the air-filter housing spigot, onto which the adapter, Item No. 19 is fitted?

the opening on my filter housing spigot has an o.d. of 64mm.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could of just stuck the hose in the hacked in ECU holder. Wink Smile

or is it actually originally a FI bus? looks like the lower pressing and mount hole are there?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure whether or not it was a FI bus originally. it is a late may production, original california car.
i kinda think it was FI based on a few things, but then on the other hand i am not totally convinced.
the gas tank is a fuel injected tank (inlet and outlet on bottom).
it has that hacked ecu hole, but it is hacked, and hard to tell if it was originally there.
there appeared to be original wiring for FI in the harness, but that was so messed up it was hard to tell if it was original or not.
i did get some FI parts with it when i bought it. not enough to make a complete set up, and it appeared to be a hodgepodge of early and late FI stuff. (i have sold all the FI parts). the bracket for the FI air filter box was crudely welded to the body, which led me to think the FI may have been added later?
the gas pedal pivot had an adjuster screw on it, and i was thinking the other day while driving it, that the screw may be a limiting stop for fuel injected return tension.
something else i noticed, on the gas pedal, where the rod attaches, there is an ovalled slot, not the usual round hole. now i have seen ovalled out pedal holes before, but this looks like a factory, elongated slot. i don't know why that would be like that, but that is the way it is.
regardless, i put the dual carbs on it, and am going that route for now.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i am not sure whether or not it was a FI bus originally.

no mount for the air filter housing, so probably not FI.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, that is also part of my dilemma. when i got the bus, it had a bracket, but it was welded in there very poorly, definitely did not look factory, looked more like a bad day with a broken mig welder. i removed the bracket (by hand), ground down the poor welds and primered over the area, so it does not look like a bracket was ever there.

the vin is 2342164931, and again was originally sold in california. i looked somewhere, maybe in the m codes or something, and it was past a certain cut-off for meeting emissions or something like that, i forget, it's been a while, but maybe that was for egr stuff.
i think it is strange that there is a FI gas tank, which is about the only thing left on the bus that leads me to believe it was originally an FI bus.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
17 goes into the area above the battery. this hose is designed to allow cooler air into the intake as the engine warms up. it draws air from directly below the side vent on the body. this hose is completely NLA and is not a size that is easy to find for any other application - 63mm diameter. this is an important hose and i know from personal experience that having it intact will lower engine temperatures.

through samba, all things are possible. (i recently bought this from the classifieds. NOS hose, with both plastic end pieces.)

installation and pics soon.
Salt n Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

through samba, all things are possible. (i recently bought this from the classifieds. NOS hose, with both plastic end pieces.)

installation and pics soon.[/quote]

Oh man!!!... I've been looking for that piece forever!... it's the only piece I'm missing Sad The original (previous) owner was really good about keeping it all stock/original, but I guess this piece got removed and lost or damaged along the way.

I guess I have to check the classifieds more often!

'77 Westfalia (1998-2003)
'71 Weekender (rust in peace)
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazetguy, If your bus is a 74, then it definitely is a dual carb engine. Look on the left door jamb, you should see a sticker with printing and some perforatinos that will tell what year you have. If built between August 1, 1973 and July31, 1974, then you have a 1974. !974 busses came stock with dual carbs, FI came in 1975. By the way how is the barndoor coming along? Glad to see you in here, got anymore type 3 parts? Good Luck with your bus!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: