Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI - Where's The Quality?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: TMI - Where's The Quality? Reply with quote

I'm extremely disappointed with the TMI panels I've just received. The fits are poor and the freakin' molding holes are aligned so poorly that the molding doesn't cover the seams property. This is only what I've discovered so far. I don't know where they make these things, but if they're fabricating them in Corona, maybe they ought to find someone in China. So I asked the question a few weeks back, TMI or Sewfine? I don't know about Sewfine, but I doubt that I'd ever order TMI panels again.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you talked to TMI about this, or are you just venting your frustrations here?
beetlecrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sewfine is the way to go, it costs abit more but its well worth it, i was not disappointed when i received mine recently. i still have the tmi panels i bought first sitting in the garage and decided not to use,
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazetguy...I'm venting AND I do plan to forward this thread to their QC department. Everything they sent is fixable...drilling new holes for the molding, cutting down the panel, re-stapling the bead along the top that had come undone on 3 of the pieces. My point is that for the $$$ they're charging ($1000 for all panels), they're not putting out a very good product. I'm winding up re-doing a lot of their work and that ain't right.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever hear the saying "if we've made you happy, tell your friends. if we've made you unhappy, tell us"

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
did you ever hear the saying "if we've made you happy, tell your friends. if we've made you unhappy, tell us"

Telling them might fall on deaf ears. There have issues with their 2/3rds middle seat cover not being right for the back rest and it still goes on.

Now to be fair, I've covered my passenger seat, back seat and am finishing my my middle seat. I've been real pleased with the outcome. Plus the front door panels worked out real well for my. But I am pissed that they've never fixed the screw-up for the middle seat backrest cover.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is their return policy?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
Hazetguy...I'm venting AND I do plan to forward this thread to their QC department. Everything they sent is fixable...drilling new holes for the molding, cutting down the panel, re-stapling the bead along the top that had come undone on 3 of the pieces. My point is that for the $$$ they're charging ($1000 for all panels), they're not putting out a very good product. I'm winding up re-doing a lot of their work and that ain't right.

wow, you are going to forward this thread to them. whoopee. way to stick it to `em.

here's a radical suggestion: how about picking up the phone and calling them!
classictint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have called Octavio's $3,800 Complete with a real German wool headliner..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjpaterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Octavio Reply with quote

Donde esta Octavio?
classictint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Octavio Reply with quote

sjpaterson wrote:
Donde esta Octavio?

Orange,Ca 92867 (714) 516-9756
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
jazzed wrote:

wow, you are going to forward this thread to them. whoopee. way to stick it to `em.

here's a radical suggestion: how about picking up the phone and calling them!

Well, you don't call yourself Mr Negativity for nothing, do you? I don't really understand the point of your posts here. I'm trying to share a bad experience with the VW community. What are you trying to accomplish?
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

And did you ever hear the saying, "Do it right the first time"? Sorry guys, it ain't my job to ride herd on their QC department. I guess I could have just rolled over and not said anything to anyone and let y'all think that TMI stuff is always perfect. I don't have the time to send this stuff back. I waited 6 weeks for it to show up and, as I've previously mentioned, I've been able to re-tweak it and make it work (so far). My only point is that I got a bad shipment and I don't enjoy re-doing other peoples' work, especially given what they charge. If you've got a problem with that then do something constructive instead of chewin' on my a#$. Or do you guys work for TMI?
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Telling them might fall on deaf ears. There have issues with their 2/3rds middle seat cover not being right for the back rest and it still goes on.

Uh, oh. I bought one of those, too. Thanks for the warning.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
Well, you don't call yourself Mr Negativity for nothing, do you? I don't really understand the point of your posts here. I'm trying to share a bad experience with the VW community. What are you trying to accomplish?

my point is that this is not the right place to get results. if you are upset, how does a thread in a forum resolve your issues with TMI? i don't think anyone here works for TMI, and forwarding them a link to this thread seems kinda ridiculous, since who knows who may or may not read it there. you need to pick up the phone and discuss this with a person there. who knows, maybe they will do something to fix your particular problem or make it right somehow.

yeah, mr. negativity works pretty well for me. if all you want to hear is sympathy and viewpoints that are exactly like how you feel, you are better off not posting, because there is bound to be someone who may not agree with you. counterpoints hurt sometime.

if you want to share a bad experience, fine, i can appreciate that. there is a forum for doing such a thing:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

thanks for the "warning" i guess. i haven't held TMI in high regard, ever, and i don't buy their stuff. i've seen it, sold it, and have not really been impressed.
and since we are throwing around random sayings, i will add this: you get what you pay for.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
jazzed wrote:

my point is that this is not the right place to get results. if you are upset, how does a thread in a forum resolve your issues with TMI? i don't think anyone here works for TMI, and forwarding them a link to this thread seems kinda ridiculous, since who knows who may or may not read it there. you need to pick up the phone and discuss this with a person there. who knows, maybe they will do something to fix your particular problem or make it right somehow.

yeah, mr. negativity works pretty well for me. if all you want to hear is sympathy and viewpoints that are exactly like how you feel, you are better off not posting, because there is bound to be someone who may not agree with you. counterpoints hurt sometime.

if you want to share a bad experience, fine, i can appreciate that. there is a forum for doing such a thing:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

thanks for the "warning" i guess. i haven't held TMI in high regard, ever, and i don't buy their stuff. i've seen it, sold it, and have not really been impressed.
and since we are throwing around random sayings, i will add this: you get what you pay for.

My original post wasn't made to resolve my issues. I took care of those myself. I do think that if someone is putting out a not so good product (and you apparently agree), that others should be aware. Call it a public service announcement. As far as sympathy goes, my wife does pretty well with that when she needs to, so I wasn't really soliciting it here. Regarding getting what I pay for, I'm afraid TMI is the only game in town for my interior; we don't have Lenny's and Octavios up here that I'm aware of, and Sewfine doesn't make the color I needed.

Anyways, I've heard what you have to say. Peace, and I'll say hi to James McMurtry for you next time I see him at the Continental in Austin.
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that after dealing with OG upholstery that the TMI stuff is much better. Although I wonder if the TMI stuff will last the 40 some odd years that the OG stuff has.

It's just a bit frustrating that they have some issues that they seem to refuse to fix. They are obviously a big company and VW's really are a small market.

Great upholstery can cost an arm and a leg. Just do a search here on West Coast Classic. Me I don't own a VW that would justify that level of quality. So I deal with the poor man's company for upholstery. And for the most part I looked of really decent OG stuff that I could rework. I like that the best.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
and I'll say hi to James McMurtry for you next time I see him at the Continental in Austin.

good. ask him to play more than one date this month here in central california! Wink one show is never enough.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my water blue door panels and arm rests the quality seems ok.
voltman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: tmi panels Reply with quote

I too am extremely disappointed with tmi, "fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me", While their material is ok ,which is bought from another company, their backing for the panels is cheap and will soak up water in a heartbeat.Also the back seat padding for ghia is nothing but a piece of cheap rectangular foam about 1 inch thick.
So go to sewfine and spend a little more and be happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: