Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

What about a 165/55 or 175/55? Where are the rubbing? Do they need to be narrower or just shorter? Based on the height of the 145/65, either of these would be close.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

What about a 165/55 or 175/55? Where are the rubbing? Do they need to be narrower or just shorter? Based on the height of the 145/65, either of these would be close.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Update:
Took front from 145/65 (too bumpy), to 175/65 (rubbing @ stops, slight dips or bumps), and ended up with 175/55s. Only very occasional rub on left fender. I believe because the lip of the fender @ 10 o'clock is untucked and sticks out. (it's visible in the close-up pics).

Wider footprint on road = much noticeable improvement in grabbing road, and for some reason, bumps in road (live in country with beat up pavement) are greatly buffered.
So, at least with only the driver in the car, I'm loving the improvement in comfort. I'll add a 230# passenger to see how that goes... but very happy.

(I had a sweet lowered bug 20 years ago, and only recently remembered that it had wider tires than what was allowed on the rims. But the car hugged the road like a slot car. If only I could locate those old service receipts)
mal-practice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

So here is mine.

Front;

Standard width beam with adjuster nearly all the way up
145/15 on stock rims

Rear;

Adjusted 1 notch
165/15 on stock rims

Drives pretty well with no rubbing at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to remove the decals, band the rear wheels to 6", paint them deep red with portwalls and maybe drop the front slightly more, maybe with drop spindles.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest tire size? I've bought some 15"x5" radar rims and the tires I have now are Michelin 15x5 .Should I just go with same size?im looking for a 2" whitewall also.Ive got 2.5 "drop spindle and a 4" narrowed airkewld front end installed in pics with drum brakes.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I like 195/70 rears and 145 fronts on something like yours.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Buguy thanks for response any suggestions on a whitewall tire?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

https://callitw.com/index.php?route=mobile_store/home

http://www.dbtires.com

http://www.widewhitetires.com/American-Classic-Low-Profile-Whitewall-Tires.html

https://www.cokertire.com
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I was going to buy white walls for my last one. They are pricey. I liked the radials that looked like bias
SeamusBlack32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

1968 Standard

Front:
Stock beam
2.5" drop spindles
Disc conversion
New shocks
145/15

Rear:
Stock height
Stock wheels
165/15

For the future. Possibly adjusters up front. One click on the back. Sprintstar wheels. 195s for the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Swabyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Newbie here that could do with some advice.

I've just purchased a 1970 Karmann Beetle cab with stock suspension etc. It has Beetle marathon wheels on it at the moment with all 4 tyres the same, all 165/15.

I want to put some original wheels on it and the wheel company are selling the following for the car;

2x 4.5 for the front with 155/60R15 and 2x 5.5 for the rear with 185/65R15.

My question is, is it ok having the wheel and tyres sizes that different on the front and rear for my model of car, or is it quite normal rather than being all the same?

Thanks in advance
Ken
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Typically staggered wheel/tire sizes are to accommodate lowering. If it's stock height and staying that way, no real reason not to have stock sized tires.
AutoExpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

cb 4" narrowed, adj beam, drop spindles, one inner spline with stock plates, 135 on 4.5 and 205/65 on 5.5 black SprintStars. Studded drums.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

That's a good looking ride. Have any side shots?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Here's my 72 standard bug
Front
- stock width adjustable beam
2.5" dropped spindles
165/65/15 tyres
4.5" marathon wheels
Rear
- 2" dropped adjustable rear spring plates
195/55/15 tyres
4.5" marathon wheels soon to have a 1.5" band put on them to give them a deeper dish look

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
That's a good looking ride. Have any side shots?

Its for sale on CL, lots more pictures.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Front: 3" German beam, shock towers narrowed and leaned out, 2.5" spindles and 5x130 disc kit from CB, torsion adjusters, 5.5" Fuchs, 195/50-15 tires.

Rear: One outer splines, early 6" Fuchs 195/60-15 tires, bump stops removed.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I took the 165's off the rear of my bug and put on 205/65's. Thought I'd share a pic of the difference in case anyone wondered. And just a note, the 205 is mounted and has 30 psi in it and the 165 is off the rim.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

205/60's are probably going to be closer in size.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Yeah I actually wanted them to be a bit taller than they are. I have a turbo motor and the low gears don't load it very well. I'm still rockin the original 6v trsns. So I was hoping to "gear it up" a little with the tires. I was 2 outer splines down in the back and I raised it to only one down. Had a bit more camber than I like.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 104 of 114

Jump to: