Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajmarqueling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

2-lo wrote:
Spec’s so far are 6” jerfab bagged beam (he must have built mine with his eyes closed as nothing fits) 1.25” pie cut frame head, UJ steering, lower column bearing, 2” tank raise, mini tubs in the works, 155/60/15 ports walls and 15x4.5’s with moon discs, rear is fresh kustoms adjustable 1-6” drop plates, shaved bump stops, Monroe 5752 shocks with custom bump stops, 1” wheels spacers, 185/60/15 with porta walls on 15x4.5 wheels with moon discs. Still a few things to finish, will be doing flat pans, maybe smoothies 5.5x15 in the rear, maybe rear bags and probably taller tires all round but the look pretty much where I want it for now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

did you cut your port a walls down? they look thinner than the standard 2" ones
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlashTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Have been trying to find a post here that tells me what needs to be done to fit 15x7 rim with a backspacing of 3.75 in the front of a beetle but havent found anything. And what tires should be used to make it work good, anyone?
2-lo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Quote:

did you cut your port a walls down? they look thinner than the standard 2" ones

They are standard 2" porta walls, something about the moondisc's make them look different, a lot of people ask me if im running 16 or 17" wheels for the same reason but they're just stock 66 steels with the usual 145/185 15" tires.[/quote]
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hello

I'm a newbie, and I am not a fan with Low bug, drop spindles etc. I want my bug back in stock (factory). I got a 1963 Bug with lower Front suspension etc, So I want to set my Bug to Standard stock condition.

Can someone tell me, what details the stock should be?
Front/Rear Axle beam? Shocks, Tires (measurement)? etc, etc.

or I need to be my bug looks like the Picture I attached below.
Picture i got from internet/google for refferences. Is that 'stock'?

Thank's in advance

best rgrds
-daru-

dale-j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

[
Quote:
quote="centerpunch"]Just bought this '67 via oldbug.com.

It had stock steelies on front, widened ones on back, with 165-60-15 and 185-60-15 tires, which really don't fill the wheelwells.

I bought Vintage 190 alloy wheels, 4.5F and 5.5R, with 175-65-15 and 195-65-15 tires.

Car has dropped spindles but standard width beam I think.

Not sure I like the rears- pretty close to sticking out- I may go to 4.5" wheels and 175-65 all around.

Centerpunch, a set of short axles and tubes from an early swingaxle car (66 and earlier) would pull those back an inch and they would be perfect. You'd just need the axles themselves and the tubes, your bearings and brake backing plates etc. should all switch over. '67 was a bit of an odd year and your bearing caps may be different, so to be safe get the matching bearing caps with your short tubes. A good opportunity to put some new German one piece swingaxle boots on and yes you will need a pair of rear axle seal kits. I would highly recommend upgrading to the Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90 GL-5 gear oil while you're in there, it shifts amazingly in the '66 swing tranny I have in my car.

On the other hand, if you don't like the idea of putting long axles on you could run a set of the 4.5s in back and send me the 5.5's for my car Wink

Cheers.

Steve
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

daru wrote:
Front/Rear Axle beam? Shocks, Tires (measurement)?

You can find many of your answers by exploring this site, such as by searching the technical section and other threads for stock tire sizes and perhaps even vehicle heights.

To undo the lowering job, start in the rear by raising the spring plates one notch, and see what it looks like. There's really no way to know what the PO did, so it will involve some trial-and-error (experimenting). Do you know how to turn notches in the rear? If not, start searching threads just like you's search the Web.

For the front, figure out what the PO did, and undo it. That will be a good start.

Did you already search the previous 108 pages of this thread? You're asking questions that have been asked and answered countless times in this Website. You will learn a lot more by spending time reading other people's posts and experiences, as many more aspects of the job are explored and discussed in many of those threads...rather than you asking the questions here. You may get people to answer your question, but that's just one answer, when there's a whole history and background to the "what's" and "whys." For example, search the "Lowering" threads, and you can see what people are doing, and you can easily teach yourself how to "undo" what they're doing (that's just one example).
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hello Busstom,

Thank you for your respond.
Yes I start to search in this forum, many information here that i can learn

Best rgrds
daru

Busstom wrote:
daru wrote:
Front/Rear Axle beam? Shocks, Tires (measurement)?

You can find many of your answers by exploring this site, such as by searching the technical section and other threads for stock tire sizes and perhaps even vehicle heights.

To undo the lowering job, start in the rear by raising the spring plates one notch, and see what it looks like. There's really no way to know what the PO did, so it will involve some trial-and-error (experimenting). Do you know how to turn notches in the rear? If not, start searching threads just like you's search the Web.

For the front, figure out what the PO did, and undo it. That will be a good start.

Did you already search the previous 108 pages of this thread? You're asking questions that have been asked and answered countless times in this Website. You will learn a lot more by spending time reading other people's posts and experiences, as many more aspects of the job are explored and discussed in many of those threads...rather than you asking the questions here. You may get people to answer your question, but that's just one answer, when there's a whole history and background to the "what's" and "whys." For example, search the "Lowering" threads, and you can see what people are doing, and you can easily teach yourself how to "undo" what they're doing (that's just one example).
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

You're welcome. And so to not confuse you, I should clarify something I wrote that is written inaccurately: to RAISE the rear of your vehicle, you should LOWER your spring plates...not "raise" the spring plates, as I originally typed. You may have understood what I meant, but I worded it incorrectly.

And once you lower your spring plates, you'll find them a bit difficult to install all the way on, because they will interfere with the lower hardstop tab on the torsion housing...but that is normal, as there is some preload in the upward direction.

Good luck!
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Question for everyone. After browsing through the forums and searching far and wide, I'm narrowing down my front end setup. If anyone has experience with these combos, let me know if they work or don't work! The car is a 1966 Beetle, stock beam, 2.5" drop spindles (CB Performance). Tire/wheel choices are:

Empi GT-5 wheels (5.5x15, 3.75" backspacing):
Thinking I could run either 175/60r15, 175/65r15, or 185/60r15 without rubbing, any other ideas or comments?

Alternatively, aftermarket 4.5x15 steel wheels from CIP1 with 175/60r15, 175/65r15. Or some other recommended size.

I own the GT-5 wheels, so that would be my first choice to run those and just change tire size. Thanks for any feedback! no matter what the front is, I'm probably going to change my rear tires to 195/60r15 or 195/65r15. Assuming those fit fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

You’re going to want and stay the same diameter as a 165sr15 in the rear. I would suggest a 205/60/15 tire.

For the front, I had drop spindles with a narrowed/adjustable beam and rubbed with 185/60’s in the front until I got custom backspaced wheels. With just dropped spindles you may be ok. But if you want any lower you will have to get a norrowed beam.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
You’re going to want and stay the same diameter as a 165sr15 in the rear. I would suggest a 205/60/15 tire.

For the front, I had drop spindles with a narrowed/adjustable beam and rubbed with 185/60’s in the front until I got custom backspaced wheels. With just dropped spindles you may be ok. But if you want any lower you will have to get a norrowed beam.

I'm only interested in running drop spindles, so no worries there. Where were your tires rubbing if you had a narrowed beam? I know the 185/65r15s I have now rub on the outer fender if I put on the drop spindles. I was also considering 205/60's for the rear. Thanks!
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Tried a set of 185/60r15s, haven't been able to drive much past the parking lot at my apartment but they don't appear to rub!

SingallZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

72 Canadian Standard beetle (back dated fenders, I know, not year correct but I like em Smile )

FRONT
2” Narrowed adjustable ball joint beam
2.5” drop spindles
15X6 Widened rims
195X55X15 tires
Total Drop 3”

REAR
Swing axle with Limebug 2” drop adjustable spring plates
15X7 Widened rims
205X55X15 tires
Total drop 2.5”

Last edited by SingallZ on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
IRQVET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I have to admit that I get really bored with cookie cutter bug builds. The standard 2.5 inch drop on empi wheels is a little long in the tooth IMHO; been seeing those mod's since I went to my first VW show in the mid 90's.

So I like it when I see something out of the box. Do SOMETHING different, anything different is what I'm always thinking. (Which is probably why I'm drawn to patina monsters and Rat Rods) Then something comes your way when you pause, but in a good way. That's what happen when I came across this picture. Nice job bro, I really dig this ride. It's subtle, but different.

Page 99

Amaze65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

here's my 65 vert.

front:
4" Oldspeed adjustable beam with shocks
2.5 dropped spindles
empi disc brakes
1 set caster shims
175/60/15

rear:
1 click
drum brakes
195/60/15
Empi BRMs all around

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Looking good!!!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hello, I just lowered the front of my 1966 beetle. It has a narrowed adjustable beam and 2.5” dropped spindles. I’m running stock rims with drum brakes. Tires are 165/80R15. The issue I have is rubbing on the fenders. What is the solution narrower tires? Thanks
1997 Jetta "the red car"
2001 Jetta 1.8 "the blue car"
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Hello, I just lowered the front of my 1966 beetle. It has a narrowed adjustable beam and 2.5” dropped spindles. I’m running stock rims with drum brakes. Tires are 165/80R15. The issue I have is rubbing on the fenders. What is the solution narrower tires? Thanks

Yes, smaller tires, different offset rims, not using drop spindles, etc. just the little things.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
1966type1 wrote:

Yes, smaller tires, different offset rims, not using drop spindles, etc. just the little things.

What size tire would you suggest. I’m still learning about tire sizes
1997 Jetta "the red car"
2001 Jetta 1.8 "the blue car"
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
1966type1 wrote:

What size tire would you suggest. I’m still learning about tire sizes

I’m no expert either but maybe 145/65/15 at the most. It all depends on your likings. Personally, my tire have got to have lots of meat Very Happy on em
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 109 of 114

Jump to: