Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcsme2008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

FRONT SUSPENSION: DubAir Suspension / ViAir Compression / 2gal Tank
McPherson Air Shocks
3” Narrowed Beam
Nankang AS-1 / 175 55
Smoothies 15x5
REAR SUSPENSION: AtomWerk Adjustable Spring Plate
Doetsch Tech Progressive Gas Shocks
Nankang SP-9 / 195 65
DeepVeez Widen Smoothies 15x7

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

CLEvwLAND wrote:
Here is my 1965 Sea Blue VW Beetle

With the help of this thread, I was able to dial-in my suspension to exactly what I was looking for. This is my first post on TheSamba, so thank you everyone.

Front:
- 2 1/2" drop spindles
- 2" narrowed adjustable beam
- Drum brakes all the way around
- 135's with 2" white wall inserts

Rear:
- Combination of inner and outer splines (basically 2 outer)
- OEM spring plates - not notched
- 165's with 2" white wall inserts

Very nice car!

Front a rears are 5,5s?
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

sixty-seven on 17 inch Porsche Cayennes 205/40's upfront and 215/40's out back. If you're curios, yes it rubs everywhere if you just look at it.
5 inch narrowed beam w/disks up front.
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I have read through so many pages of this thread and I am still scratching my head on a few details.

I have a a '64 mostly stock beetle. Previous owner converted to drum brake 4x130 - I am likely going to convert back to wide 5

Planning for a mild lowering. From what I gather drop spindles will give the ride quality, but fender rubbing is likely going to be an issue. Therefore I need a narrowed beam.

Again, thinking mild, I am leaning to a 2" narrowed beam. However, does this mean I need different length tie rods, shock mounts relocated... etc??? What other "things" do I need to complete this job?

Thanks in advance for any more detailed information someone is willing to share. In an ideal world, I would have a checklist to cross off. I want to maintain quality - do it right, but not slammed, stanced negative camber type build.

Thanks again Cool Cool Cool Cool
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

For a two in narrowed beam you will need narrowed a sway bar, narrowed tie rod bar, and that should be it.

Most aftermarket narrowed beams will come with narrowed or thinned shock tower mounts so no, there wont be any issues there.

You can cut the tie rod ends your self and tap them, or you can buy them from most vendors.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
For a two in narrowed beam you will need narrowed a sway bar, narrowed tie rod bar, and that should be it.

Most aftermarket narrowed beams will come with narrowed or thinned shock tower mounts so no, there wont be any issues there.

You can cut the tie rod ends your self and tap them, or you can buy them from most vendors.

This makes sense to me - thank you, Chickensoup.

I want to keep all stock / original parts that way. It might cost extra money but it will make me happier in the long run knowing I can go back to stock, original if I ever choose. So will purchase beam, sway bar, tie rod bar and tie rods.

Are shorter shocks required or just optional?

Thanks again! Surprised Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Kblack1101 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I want to keep all stock / original parts that way. It might cost extra money but it will make me happier in the long run knowing I can go back to stock, original if I ever choose. So will purchase beam, sway bar, tie rod bar and tie rods.

hi, shorter shock are only used with a beam that has adjusters welded into the torsion housing. this is because on an adjustable beam, you lower and raise your car by rotating the torsion bars inside the beam, thus tilting up and down the trailing arms. imagine having someone press down on the front of the car, and then being able to lock it in that position. this limits the amount of travel the trailing arms can move, so you need a shorter shock to keep from bottoming out, as well as keep the compression rates correct.

if you only have drop spindles, then you need stock length shocks.

if you have both, then you need shorter shock.

drop spindles lower the car by raising the spindle position, it doesnt affect the suspension aspect of things, only the brake and wheel assembly. drop spindles are the way to go. but most kits will alter the track width by widening it half an inch or so.

hope this helps,
take care
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

My 65 Beetle

4” narrowed beam with upper shock mounts grafted into the body structure.

Rear is one outer notch

6” original Fuchs all the way around. 185’s up front and 215’s in the rear

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Cal Look Perfection!!!!!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
InDaWeeds67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Kblack1101 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

If you intend to get drop spindles, keep in mind you may want to be sure you get a beam that is narrowed for drop spindles. Some beams will drop the front by 2 inches, that combined with 2.5 from the drop spindles has you low straight out of the box. When you get one that is for drop spindles it has less adjustment, however, it has already accounted for the drop spindles.
I just went through this, I bought my bug with drop spindles and a 5" beam and it is low at its highest point, 23" from the ground to the front fender (measuring from the wheel centerline). I ordered a 2' Empi beam for drop spindles this week.
I could have something wrong but I am sure someone will let me know.
Good luck, Paul
veedubbug72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
1962 Anthracite Grey L469 bug.

Front:
3,5 Inch narrowed beam
2 Inch dropped spindles
5,0x17 ET25 - 2-piece customs with 165/45 17

Rear:
2 Inch drop plates ("short" transmission)
7,0x17 ET0 - 2-piece customs with 195/45 17

This looks amazing. well done.
Freeflydenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

After 111 pages I still can't figure out what tire size I want. Definitely a helpful thread though!
centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I finally removed the 5.5 rear wheels and the 175/65-15 front and 195/65-15 rear tires I put on 2.5 years ago.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8852817#8852817

I never liked the way the rears protruded slightly from the fenders, and never liked the different tire diameters front and rear.
(I'm not from the old school, I'm from the school they tore down when they built the old school.)

I bought two more alloy 4.5" wheels, and four 185/70-15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tires (plus a 155-15 for a spare), and now I am very happy with my vintage car's vintage appearance.

lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Front
CB Drop spindles
4 Inch narrowed beam
15 inch Empi 5.5 wide
155's

Rear
Drop plates
185's

Last edited by lowN2slo on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

2 1/2 drop in the rear? The rear looks good man.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Yes Limebug drop plates! Tks!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Front:
2” narrow beam with adjusters
CB dropped spindles
Porsche 996 brakes
18”x7.5” Boxster rims
205/40 tires......will be switched out to 215/35

I can lower the front just a tad more b4 the backs of the Porsche 993 headlights become an interference issue with the tires.

Rear:
Transform 5speed swingaxle(long axle)...adding adjustable springplates later
CB rear disc brakes...switching to Porsche Boxster later
18”x9” Boxster rims
245/35 tires......will be switched out to 255/35

front fenders are steel widened 1”
rear fenders are CCC 1.25” wider than stock.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hausey187 wrote:

65 bug
stock width adjusable front beam
back dropped one click
original drums all around
195/55/15 front
195/60/15 back
JGE Raders

me like.

happen to have a pic of the front? thanks

edit- found it

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

My current tires scrub so imma have to go smaller but heres the specs for the front.

Stock drums
Stock width
5.5x15 356 clone rims
Beam adjusters
Terrible empi lowered oil shocks
Nanking 165r15 875

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

This is a shot of my 60 from years ago, adjustable beam up front and two outside notches in the rear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 111 of 114

Jump to: