Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Fred_e81 wrote:
Good morning,

I currently have 145’s up front on a stock length kingpin front beam. I want a slightly wider tire with about the same or slightly shorter sidewall. What size would you all recommend. I hear that going slightly wider helps w the handling of the bug.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Try a 175/65.
ryansdad03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I had my front beam narrowed years ago and don’t remember how much I had it narrowed. How can I measure what I have to see how much it was narrowed?
62 beetle
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

anyone got pics of Porsche 7 slots or design 90s on their beetle?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Stock adjustments/settings for suspension? Reply with quote

Where might I find a good reference to set the stock ride height/etc for a '64 Beetle?
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I checked owners manual! Page 80 says ground clearance 6”

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/60_65bug_replacement.php
PDF is best way to search

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

wbbbbbbb wrote:
I checked owners manual! Page 80 says ground clearance 6”

Thanks! I need to venture into adjusting my bug's ride height.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Narrow beam question.

I’ve had this narrowed beam for years. Finally getting around to trying to use. Problem is the lower spring plates seem to have the simple 90 degree off??

'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
... 90 degree off??

Look at how the adjusters are oriented; they're about 90° different from one another.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I noticed that. Wtf. How would this have ever worked? I almost thought it was raised for a minute….. well, 1/2 raised

Is it possible they had the dimples 90 degrees out ?

****edit******. Figured it out, Put it together like it should. Found the center location. All 👍🏻 good
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:
lowN2slo wrote:

Front
CB Drop spindles
4 Inch narrowed beam
15 inch Empi 5.5 wide
155's

Rear
Drop plates
185's

I like this look! What drop plates did you use?

Hi, Limebug drop plates - 2inch, Thanks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
I noticed that. Wtf. How would this have ever worked? I almost thought it was raised for a minute….. well, 1/2 raised

Is it possible they had the dimples 90 degrees out ?

****edit******. Figured it out, Put it together like it should. Found the center location. All 👍🏻 good

Did the center anchor have 2 sides threaded for set screws? I could see a setup with one short set screw to hold the bars, then turn the center 90 degrees install the long one (with a flat bottom) to hold the center anchor in place on the beam. This would cause the adjuster to be turned 90 degrees so it is not going to get ripped off if you go too low.
clay showalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Ok I have read all through and love the look of many of the cars. Here is my bone stock, except for the JC Whitney hubcaps. This is survivor that I think has only been painted, just 39,000 miles, no mods, no dents, nothing. I am only looking to do 2.5” drop spindles maybe one notch in the rear and run Empi GT-5 wheels 15x5.5 with 4” backspacing. Can I run 195/65 all the way around or will I have rubbing issues. If so what size would I need to run up front?

clay showalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Can anyone help? I really want to get my new wheels and tires on my bug
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

drop spindles + added width of wider tires: you may run into rubbing issues with the tires. Drop spindles move the wheel out about 3/8" per side. Those wheels will stick out about 1/2-3/4" more than stock also. So you're roughly an inch wider per side than stock.
I know people that've done fine with drop spindles and stock wheels, but with wider wheels and wider tires I think you're getting close
Wily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

clay showalter wrote:
Can anyone help? I really want to get my new wheels and tires on my bug

195 is a wide tire for the front, that wouldt look good Very Happy
i would take 165 max, even 145 is possible...
195 will touch the inner fenders...

I just bought spindels and some 5.5 rims.
The tires i gonne buy are:
front: 145/65
rear:165/80
navyfam2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Assistance Needed....

Currently have a '67 Sunroof Bug with stock errythang...

I just submitted an order with SOA Speed Shop for a 4" narrowed ball joint beam with narrowed tie rod and new ends.
Next to be ordered is the EMPI Wide Five Front Disc Brake Conversion with 2.5" Drop Spindles.
I also intend to put Klassik Rader Falcons (15x5.5) at all 4 corners.

I've looking for a tasteful drop of about 3-4 inches overall (need to be able to navigate speed bumps etc).

What size tires do you all recommend with the intended set up described above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
navyfam2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

navyfam2 wrote:
Assistance Needed....

Disregard, my impatience took over... ordered Continental Eco Contact 145/65R15 for front and 175/55R15 for the rear
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

navyfam2 wrote:
navyfam2 wrote:
Assistance Needed....

Disregard, my impatience took over... ordered Continental Eco Contact 145/65R15 for front and 175/55R15 for the rear

Sorry you didn’t get as fast of a reply on this as needed. For some reason the wheel and tire forum seems to get overlooked a lot. The front tires will work ok but you could have gone a little wider and been ok. I’m not a huge fan of 144’s as I think they are too thin. For the rears you really may want to reconsider. While the width is “ok” you probably would be happier with the overall look of a 205/60/15 or even a 65 series. The 175/55R15 is going to be on the small side. You’re changing the circumference by about 11% which is significant on the rear of the car. For the front it doesn’t matter other than for clearance but on the rear it can affect engine rpm due to gearing. Here is a site that is good for comparing tire sizes.

https://tire-calc.com/comparison/165-80-r15-and-175-55-r15/
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
navyfam2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Sorry you didn’t get as fast of a reply on this as needed. For some reason the wheel and tire forum seems to get overlooked a lot. The front tires will work ok but you could have gone a little wider and been ok. I’m not a huge fan of 144’s as I think they are too thin. For the rears you really may want to reconsider. While the width is “ok” you probably would be happier with the overall look of a 205/60/15 or even a 65 series. The 175/55R15 is going to be on the small side. You’re changing the circumference by about 11% which is significant on the rear of the car. For the front it doesn’t matter other than for clearance but on the rear it can affect engine rpm due to gearing. Here is a site that is good for comparing tire sizes.

I figured my haste would create waste, lol.... they won't be the only set of tires i buy for it, so we will see how it turns out.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

navyfam2 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I figured my haste would create waste, lol.... they won't be the only set of tires i buy for it, so we will see how it turns out.

It’s advice, donas you want, but I would sincerely consider sending the rears back and getting one of the sizes I mentioned. An 11% difference on the rear is significant. And on the asthetic side, will look kinda goofy. Good luck either way.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 113 of 114

Jump to: