Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found a spent condom under our Z-Bed in our 69, Also found the wrapper under the jump seat. The brand was "Fish Skins". Shocked
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as exciting as some, but I'm still "peeling back the layers" of my '85 Westy.

In the rear shelf, I found what I thought was a "prop" for the rear hatch. It wasn't until I picked it up that I found it had a spike on one end and a cap on the other.

It turned out to be a military road flare. I put it back on the shelf. I figured it might come in handy someday.

After all, it is a 22 year old Vanagon.
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american and canadian coins, dried (looked pressed) leaves, toothbrush in the luggage rack, incense sticks, buttons, lots of dirt. There is a badge from a Europe to Africa airstream caravan with registration number in the parcel tray over the stove:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Adventures in the Archaeology of the Vanagon Reply with quote

Take a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159921

Nothing on that scale since then. I looked under the front two seats with considerable trepidation.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 86 vanagon in ok shape a year ago. This spring I noticed there were ants in the van. After watching them crawl to the front passenger area, I pulled up the floorboards up and found a large ant population. After a good attack of Raid and a good vacuming, I think they are all ex ants.
camrenj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have ants living in the back of my 70 bug for awhile. I have no idea how they got there or where they ended up moving to. One day they just showed up a month or two later they where all gone. Oh well they could have atleast sprung for gas Evil or Very Mad little bastards!
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time last night trying to resurrect the fridge and stove on my '85.

While poking around, I found a spoon that had a very hard, green growth on it and two 45 RPM records, Ronnie Milsap and Vince Gill. Huh? This one must have been owned by C&W fans.

There were also two antique flyers underneath the seat from some town in Ohio. That and one usable scrub brush.

A Westy is like an old house. Probably unique in the automotive world. You move into an old house, you find out a lot about how people lived. Same with This Old Westy.
redstripe GTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sales brochure was included in the paperwork The dealership is about 90 minutes from me and is in the city where I purchased it. When I showed it to the parts department at the local dealer here it turns out that Nigel's dad and this guy have a auto leasing business together and he remembers selling the truck back in '85.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img]

If you look closely there is even a payment schedule and everything

1985 Doublecab Transporter
redstripe GTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more shots
[img][/img]

spaceman3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: gross stuff Reply with quote

Grossest thing i found was only after i put the heating on and this terrible unearthly smell of death filled the cab. It turned out to be a couple of dead birds stuck in near the rear heater. I think from the old owners cat who had buit up quiet a collection there.
Best find ever though was in my first ever a bay window 1969 purchased quite a few years ago.
We found a couple of wrapped purple om's tucked under the bench seat on the way to glastonbury festival. It was a very interesting weekend. I never did thank the original owner but we were glad we found them before taking the van into europe that summer.
spaceman3
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found $14 in old crusty bills in my $900 van Smile Not much, but as a percentage, not a bad discount!

A friend picked up a Westy that had been parked on a farm, unused, for several years. The mice had completely taken over and used the entire thing for stolen dog food storage. Every panel, duct, frame member, nook & cranny were stuffed full of the stuff. Plus the engine was out so the transmission was full of mouse poop.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday while taking out the kitchen unit on my '87 westy, i found several green pennies, some yosemite park playing cards, a .25 cent from Canada, a couple of crayons, and a flattened penny from one of those penny flattening machines from Yosemite park. oh, and some more rust behind the kitchen
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some of what I found when I removed the interior to deal with some seam rust issues:

Also when I first got the van: 1 used condom in the overhead compartment, a small roach (of the smoking kind) in the rear ashtray, some misc receipts, and of course the one common thing you probably find in all of these: petrified french fries
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redstripe GTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearing of all these spent condoms makes me glad I don't have beds. Yuck!

Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a cardboard box under the rear seat FULL of 50s / 60s VW literature, brochures, etc. Sold on eBay & paid for the van!

Pending Postings -
Audi 5000CS Rear Disc Brake Conversion
Front Skid-Plate, bumper, winch install
Full Body Brush Guard

..........Spacers Bad, Bery, Bery Bad.........
concept1car
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy got a rental car recently & there was a full ziplock baggie of pot & a little grinder. He was furious because he's an ex-con & that would be an extra bad thing for him if he were pulled over!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jsul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I initially got my van, I spent about a week taking out the entire back seat console. What I found in the cracks on each side of the seat seriously fu**ed me up in how I portrayed my van. I found about 50 condom wrappers, a few photographs of some white guys moshing, a little pocket crucifix (to go along with the fish that was stuck on the back) about a pint of an anonymous goop/slime, an exploded banana boat sunscreen tube, and a giant hunting-like knife. There was also a U2 CD, but I was too freaked out by the other stuff to really care.

Those seat cracks though, jeez. I know how easy stuff is to get lost down there. Since I got the van, I've dropped my harmonica, capo, and a York patty down onto the driver's side, and not wanting to take another week to get that seat out, I've just let them rot.
tsyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to change out the heater fan and on behind the housing i found a lollipop, tequila flavored with a worm in it. I guess the po went to baja . I was almost tempted to taste that molten mess. Candy with a worm????
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found lots of goodies under the seat of my van when I got it, mainly dried up food, a few hot wheels cars and early 90's Taco Bell kids meal toys. My parents have owned it since day one so all of the toys were my brother's and mine from way back when. Kinda fun, I come across all these buried treasures that I inadvertently left for myself 15 years ago.
This is also why I would probably burn the thing to the ground if I found condom wrappers under the seats Shocked .

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloNyWesty wrote:
I purchased a 78 westy about 10 years ago from an elderly couple..they took beutiful care of the ride. But about a mnth later i'm out camping with my girlfriend. And to our horror we unearthed a dryed up tube of KY jelly under the lower mattress. Well the idea of geriatric sex occuring on this very spot killed the mood for that weekend..........

Believe me, the mood will return ... just give it a few years.

Rich
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: