Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

havanablue wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found this writting under the luggage rack plastic last week when I was changing the poptop seals. I had two German girls I work with translate:

Hellos from (unknown city)??? Death to FC Bayern

Bayern is the middle part of Germany. They said Germany has three parts to it. upper, middle, and lower.

FC Bayern is the Munich Soccer Team or Football Club of Bayern.

They said that there a couple of letters they were not taught in school. They grew up in Germany and are 40ish. They were pretty certain an "old timer" wrote it and was probably traveling from (unknown city)??? to watch a soccer game that day.

Thought I would share...

Matt[/img]

"Grüße aus Anderlecht tot dem FC Bayern"

"Greetings from Anderlecht kill FC Bayern"

The "ß", called "es-zed" in German, is roughly a double "s". It's seen on older street signs (e.g., Bahnhofstraße) but otherwise not commonly used. "Grüsse" or "Grüss" or "Gruesse" (ue for the ü) are all accepted forms. There's even debate about the capital G (capitals usually mark nouns), with some people leaving it lower case.

Anderlecht is in Belgium.

Munich is not, not, not in central Germany! It's in the southern part of the country, in the state of Baveria (or "Bayern"). The Baverians are very particular about being distinct from the rest of Germany. They're not quite as bad as the Quebecois, but close.

FC Bayern is the football ("soccer" in the US) team everybody loves to hate. It's safe to say the best way to describe most FC Bayern matches is "FC Bayern and someone else get on the pitch, FC Bayern kicks the ball around and wins." Truly, even their bench warmers are mostly better players than most players in the 1. Bundesliga ("erste Bundesliga" or "first [national] league" - there are three pro leagues, with, at the end of the season, the best two teams in second and third leagues moving up a league , and the worst two, in all leagues, dropping down a league).

OK - TMI. [/grin]

Tchüß und schöne Grüße aus Skippack, PA (Seeya and nice greetings from...) Wink

Last edited by RBEmerson on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found between the block and firewall... Shocked

At the time, the other engine grounds were toast, meaning the full charging return was through this miserable excuse for a ground wire (note burned end...). The only thing that saved the Westy was the battery ground was so poor it acted as a current limiter.

Last edited by RBEmerson on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see some XKCD fans here.

Not a decaying raccoon but when I was in college back in the late 60s, a fellow in the dorm offered me a ride into to town in his Splitty. The entire back was filled with a mountain of trash, pretty much up to the windows (come to think of it, it looked a lot like his dorm room). I opened the door, grabbed the panic bar and was about to hop into the passenger side when I saw a mess of...something…there in the middle of the seat.

The guy saw the look on my face and said (and I quote), "Don't worry. It's only a taco." He picked it up and tossed it into the back with everything else. Just then, I suddenly remembered that I needed to get something from my room and hey, no problem, I'll catch a ride with someone later.

Thinking back on it now, I feel bad for van.
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of black widows. I hate black widows...
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK, they hate you, too.

Haters gotta hate and all that... Wink
mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I'm sure they do! They can probably feel the ground shake when I step on their brothers.

One dropped right next to my head when I was messing around with the transmission. Not cool...
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but when I was in college back in the late 60s, a fellow in the dorm offered me a ride into to town in his Splitty. The entire back was filled with a mountain of trash, pretty much up to the windows (come to think of it, it looked a lot like his dorm room). I opened the door, grabbed the panic bar and was about to hop into the passenger side when I saw a mess of...something…there in the middle of the seat.

"You can get anything you want...
"At Alice's Restaurant...'
"You can get anything you want...
"At Alice's Restaurant...

And aftermath. Hence, the reason for him not getting rid of the garbage.

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the really scary part... This past weekend, at the Philadelphia Folk Festival, Arlo Guthry did the 50th anniversary performance of Alice's Restaurant. Shocked
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

The window sticker thread made me think of this thread and the coolest thing I found in my van. Wedged behind the glove box, the warranty book showing 1992 purchase and regular service inspections through 2000 at the original dealer.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Wedged behind the glove box, the warranty book showing 1992 purchase and regular service inspections through 2000 at the original dealer.

Very cool.

Weirdest and coolest thing I've found was the shed skin of a snake behind the rear hatch panel.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Not my van. On my way to work one day I spotted a van on a lot so decided to go back at lunch to see it. The lady unlocked it for me and watched for a few minutes while I checked it out and then told me to bring the key back to her when I was done. She was about halfway across the lot when I called out to her, "Did any of you look under the back seat?" I'd have liked to look through everything but had to get back to work.

creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

My current Bus of 14 years was very clean when I bought it and I have always kept it clean. However, in 1991 I bought a '71 Neptune Blue camper which was in very good shape, but in my initial cleaning of it, I found many joint roaches. In my previous '67 camper, there were even more joint roaches and a partially used bottle of patchouli oil.

Last edited by creative native on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Just curious, there're some posts in the first page that mention a "driver box" or "driver storage compartment" - are they referring to the auxiliary battery spot under the driver seat?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Just curious, there're some posts in the first page that mention a "driver box" or "driver storage compartment" - are they referring to the auxiliary battery spot under the driver seat?

Probably, yes. However, there are a couple 'hidden' compartments to both battery and driver aux-battery locations.. They are perhaps like a couple small pizza boxes tall that goes forward at the top. It is possible to use a mirror to look in there and see if anything is hidden.

Some people make an opening in the front of these, like at the back side of your knees as you sit in the seat like when you are driving.

Look on page 3 of this link, about half way down where the pictures are not photobucket crapy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

-bobby
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

I keep all my small parts in the called secret compartment driver's side. Ignition switch ,spare blue cap, rescue tape, bag of clamps, bag of hose patches, bag of lug nuts/ bolts if I have to use my mis-matched spare, etc.

My amp is in the space under the passenger seat.

There's a surprising amount of room there.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Razor blades. I found at least ten old, rusty razor blades between the back seat and the engine in my Syncro.

On one hand, it could have been as simple as somebody dropped a box of blades back there, yet they were all unsheathed. Perhaps they were scraping off old tint? Maybe the owner shaved with an old timey razor? Painting supplies?

On the other hand, a van full of rusty old razor blades conjures up images of all kinds of nefarious activities. Late nights with piles of Bolivian marching powder, perhaps. The mind wanders. In any case, after I found the first two or three I was very, very careful with my hands during that initial interior removal and cleaning.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Our 1st westy ( 81 )had milk eggs butter etc. in the running fridge, a new toaster and assorted camping tools ie ax small shovel

current westy joker (84) when purchased, had assorted tools haynes manual hunting knife and pinkish liquid in the h20 tank Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Well, the PO, Mr Lopez, drove my '87 Westy all over North and South America.

Along with a bunch of spare parts, like new clutch master and slave, belts, all kinds of repair bits for odd repairs, and a multitude of kitchen stuff like a coffee grinder, house current single burner table top stove, remarkable added lights, and a variety of interesting mods. But by far the most interesting was a hand made beaded necklace. I got in touch with the daughters of Mr Lopez, to return this precious family piece, bought along their travels when the girls were kids.

-bobby

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
Our 1st westy ( 81 )had milk eggs butter etc. in the running fridge ...

Your new van was probably recently stolen from a PNW driveway. Did the seller insist on cash?

the joker wrote:
... and pinkish liquid in the h20 tank Shocked

Perhaps RV water-system antifreeze? Quite common in the northern climes:

https://www.amazon.com/Antifreeze-Coolant-1-gal-RT...18-2946302
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the weirdest/ grossest/ coolest thing you've found... Reply with quote

Bought a Subaru Outback as a donor for $200 AUD, while cleaning it out got $52 in change (we have $1 and $2 coins here). 25% discount!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: