Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need mechanic in VA/DC area to sort out my '86 fuel inject'n
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Need mechanic in VA/DC area to sort out my '86 fuel inject'n Reply with quote

Vanagon runs rough, sometimes drops to 3 cyl (when cold, even falls to 2 cyl!), seems to run rich. Anyone know a shop on the west side of DC-- or even nearly there? Can't keep using it like this, and the one shop I know (Paul's in Annandale VA) says he can't get to it/me till well into Oct. HELP!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Vanagon...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should send a pm to fellow member Alaric.H. He's in Oakton and knows his way around a van Wink
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it by we will get that silly thing sorted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valleywestys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion for Alaric.H.....
stubear334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but the best mechanic on these old Vanagons, is this forum, buying all new f.i. sensors, replacing the grounds, and check the O2 wires. Of course new plugs, wires, cap/rotor helps as well. You can replace all f.i. parts for around $1,000 USD. Sounds drastic, but after owning 3 f.i. vehicles over 20 years old, I found that almost every sensor is putting out bad readings & every actuator is half-functioning. Put the mechanic labor money into parts,parts, parts!

The fuel injection parts are dirt cheap on these vehicles. Start with the cheapest & work your way up. The vehicle will run better, better, better.

-Stu
andrescs86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need mechanic in VA/DC area to sort out my '86 fuel inject'n Reply with quote

Hello! is Alaric.H still working on Vanagons?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need mechanic in VA/DC area to sort out my '86 fuel inject'n Reply with quote

No longer in Oakton. Its a shame.

Try googling Pauls Auto Service in Annandale. I have 0 experience with them and the original owner sold it, but there are still VWs and one or two vanagons there. Maybe give them a call. Otherwise closest will be Keith at Valley Westy aka Complete Auto care in staunton, va or Kevin at vanagonrepair.com.

What kind of problems are you experiencing?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need mechanic in VA/DC area to sort out my '86 fuel inject'n Reply with quote

Yeah, sadly, Alaric went south- literally: GA/FL. But he sold his lift and more to his most regular assistant, Cabot Boyd. He's across the Wilson Bridge from Alexandria and south about 5 miles, in Fort Washington, at 202-320-2411. Best reached by text, but try the voice thing, too. Sadly, he doesn't have a loaner van to get you home, then back a day (or 2) later, which Aleric usually had available.
And the trouble w/Paul's is that the owner seems to be semi-retired. Spring to fall wait times can be weeks (he literally takes 3-day weekends at a beach cabin), and even winter it's not an in-and-out deal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: