Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pic of the oversize spare tire carrier that Van-Cafe sells? I mean mounted and in use on your van, Van-cafe has a nice static shot onf just the piece itself, but I'm looking for a pic and feedback from someone using this thing in the real world.

Hoping to carry around my spare 27x8.5x14 BFG All-Terrain KO inflated. Can't do it with the stock tray without pinching the radiator hoses and speedo cable.

Tanks in advance!!!! Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to take a pic of mine, but I have a BFG AT mounted on a SA rim, just the like van-cafe pic. It's true you have to keep the spare at 10lbs. I had to bend the mount just slightly to get it to line up, but I like it.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got the SA rims, so that means 15 inch, right??

I'm hoping the 14 inch version I have will mount up without deflating. Hoping to avoid having to carry a compressor.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are creative, you can make your own simply by having access to a oxy acetylene torch. Bend up your frame and weld together. I made my own and chose to let it hang down a bit lower, this enabled me to retain the upper bars, so the hoses can never get pinched, and I run the tire at full PSI
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your really, really, creative nad have access to a bunch of junk, you can make this one for virtually nothing but the cost of screws. I made it in a day with stuff I had laying around. A couple of thousand miles later all is well still. If you want details I'll take more pics. The tire is on a 16" rim at full pressure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a couple of these out of 1/2" bar stock. It's basically identical to the Van Cafe one, with a few minor mods. The tricky part is getting all of the bends to allign properly.
The limiting factor is the space available between the van's frame rails. This space will only accomodate a tire that is so large. I'm not sure what that diameter is off hand, but as long as the outside diameter of the tire will fit in the van's frame space, you can accomodate different tire widths by making the vertical legs of the carrier a bit longer. The ones that I have made were for a Passat steel spare with a 215/75 15 (27 3/4" OD), and a SA alloy with the same sized tire.
BTW, a neat trick to deal with the rubbing of the steering shaft on the tire sidewall is to split a piece of polybutylene pipe lengthwise, and install it as a sleve on the steering shaft, then raised the spare into place. Works like a charm.
It's a pretty easy job. Cost- $11. Very Happy
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Syncro, it had a new BFG AT KO 27.5X8.50X14 in the original carrier. Maybe the Sycnro carrier has a larger holder than 2WD? ---->I'm certain that someone on this list knows.

Here is a link to some pictures of the mod and technique that I used to retain the original carrier - not sure if this will work on the 2WD. For the most part it looks and fits like original, and at FULL inflation. You have to shove the tire away from the steering knuckle, thus far it has not migrated back. I can feel the coolant hoses resting on the tire but they are not collapsed they are at full diameter. Good luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2357729#2357729

Tom

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

I just got the VanCafe Oversize Spare Tire Carrier so I can fit in my old BFG AT 215/75/15 tires; at full inflation the tire seemed to not go in, reduce to 30 psi and I could get the tire in with an extended bolt on the front, however the tire interferes with shifting, I can't get it into reverse.

For now I'm running my 14" spare.

Peter at VC suggests either a drop down bracket, (something I make?)? or hitting the OEM hinge mounts down with a sledge. Seems slightly stupid to have to modify to use an aftermarket product!?

Here it is:

How I have it attached now:

the front bolt:

Anyone out there using the VC Oversize Carrier AND BFG AT KO's that got it to fit? If so how?

Thanks

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like this, for the reat mount.
just choose the size you need
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not deflate the spare and carry a 12V air pump? air pump is always useful..
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
What about something like this, for the reat mount.
just choose the size you need

I like this idea, are you thinking that we could put the open threaded ends through each of the hinges?

I am also open to carrying a 12v air pump, I used this earlier this year when I did get a flat in the Trinity Alps of CA and my above wheel was deflated.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:

I like this idea, are you thinking that we could put the open threaded ends through each of the hinges?

Yep, one leg thru each tube, just use the size that gives you the drop you need
There are also the square type, and if sliding or noise becomes an issue, you could use a metal or plastic tube to space it.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Van-Cafe oversize spare tire carrier. Problem is, the tire, a P225/70R14 with full rubber, is not clamped in like the original clamshell and clamp arrangement did. Is it supposed to bounce around in there or should it be held down? Is there a good known solution for this? There are hoses and a speedometer cable in there I wouldn’t want to see damaged by the spare moving around.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the OEM carrier to hold a (new, 0 miles) 27"+ tire (BFG 215/75R15). This tire is right at the limit of fitting - if it was 1/4" bigger, it would NOT fit. And due to manufacturing tolerances it may not fit in ALL vans. I like that the clamshell protects the spare sidewall from being cut.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7279860#7279860

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

Reviving this from the dead. Special thanks to Sodo and Ben T for pioneering and documenting this...

I am in the process of fitting a 215/65/16" Nokian Rotiiva tire in the stock location of a syncro. The tire is mounted on a 16" Mercedes steelie Rim at a 27" overall diameter.

Step one was to trim the clamshell:

Step 2 was to lower the front of the clamshell: Ben T was kind enough to provide a bolt and spacer that was 1.5" longer along with a hook of the corresponding length.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1927581

I found that when inflated - the tire would sit on top of the crossmember and be in direct contact with the steering shaft.

The only way around this was to deflate the tire completely, drop the rear of the clamshell using 2" brackets and then squish the tire to clear the crossmember.

I am somewhat concerned about storing the tire in a deformed state as well as the loss of clearance from the 2" brackets..

However the tire does clear the steering shaft now

May have to investigate either a Van Cafe or Burley steering shaft protector, or see if there is a custom/alternate solution available...
Several people here have used nylon protectors - would love to hear some feedback on that as well...

Last edited by baltik on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

SUBscribed Smile
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I finally got mine to work. This is with a fully-inflated 215/70/15 Geolandar and 15x7 Ronal wheel.

I used U-bolts from Home Depot to drop down the back; they rattled a bit so I slid a couple of pieces of hose over them. Once I was able to wedge the spare in, I realized that the U-bolts probably weren't necessary, until...

I saw that dropping the back down created enough of an angle to where I didn't have to use a longer bolt or sleeve for the front. It's secured with the OEM bolt, clips into the springy hook thing, and fits nice and snug.

No rubbing on the steering shaft and no pinching of coolant hoses.

Dave Vickery's advice on this was (as usual) spot on...It feels like it won't wedge into the back, but keep working it, and it'll finally press in back there.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I finally got mine to work. This is with a fully-inflated 215/70/15 Geolandar and 15x7 Ronal wheel.

I used U-bolts from Home Depot to drop down the back; they rattled a bit so I slid a couple of pieces of hose over them. Once I was able to wedge the spare in, I realized that the U-bolts probably weren't necessary, until...

I saw that dropping the back down created enough of an angle to where I didn't have to use a longer bolt or sleeve for the front. It's secured with the OEM bolt, clips into the springy hook thing, and fits nice and snug.

No rubbing on the steering shaft and no pinching of coolant hoses.

Dave Vickery's advice on this was (as usual) spot on...It feels like it won't wedge into the back, but keep working it, and it'll finally press in back there.

That's awsome man.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

I just installed a swing away on the rear and want to post my experience with the vancafe oversized spare tire holder before I forget the details it took to make it work for me. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

215/75/15 Firestone Destination AT on 15" Mefro steelies - new spare, full tread (used spare in the photo, but the new one fit)
Aired way down (5-10psi?)

On my '82 there's just barely room between the rails, but you can jam it up there. You can see how the flange on the rail sits in the groove of the tire.

I couldn't make it work without a ~1.5" long sleeve to drop the front down, similar to what BenT is selling, but I found one at the local big box hardware store. Also needed a longer bolt and a big washer.

I bought the burley steering shaft protector bracket from vancafe, but there was so little clearance that installing the bracket would have just made it worse. I didn't have any rubbing issues with that shaft. YMMV

Last tip is to push the coolant hoses up there and make sure you don't pinch them when shoving the spare between the rails.

I went with a swing away in the end and am looking forward to cutting down a 55gal barrel and having some storage for random stuff under the front.

jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Van-Cafe extended spare tire carrier Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Reviving this from the dead. Special thanks to Sodo and Ben T for pioneering and documenting this...

I am in the process of fitting a 215/65/16" Nokian Rotiiva tire in the stock location of a syncro. The tire is mounted on a 16" Mercedes steelie Rim at a 27" overall diameter.

Step one was to trim the clamshell:

Step 2 was to lower the front of the clamshell: Ben T was kind enough to provide a bolt and spacer that was 1.5" longer along with a hook of the corresponding length.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1927581

I found that when inflated - the tire would sit on top of the crossmember and be in direct contact with the steering shaft.

The only way around this was to deflate the tire completely, drop the rear of the clamshell using 2" brackets and then squish the tire to clear the crossmember.

I am somewhat concerned about storing the tire in a deformed state as well as the loss of clearance from the 2" brackets..

However the tire does clear the steering shaft now

May have to investigate either a Van Cafe or Burley steering shaft protector, or see if there is a custom/alternate solution available...
Several people here have used nylon protectors - would love to hear some feedback on that as well...

@Baltik - Wondering if you can provide details on the rim width in the photo. I have exactly the same tires in place on a 16x7.5 inch rim. Do you have it on 6.5 width? If you could provide details on the year model Mercedes you are using would be awesome too!

I've created a modified tire carrier (welded steel) and had to build a shifter shaft guard to make it work.

Thanks!

~Jason
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: