Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreadlocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a working TSII id wire a double throw relay up to it, NC to the TS2 & NO to the Pot.. Then put a switch next to pot, flip it on to shut off the TS2 and go manual...

I have a Wideband o2 on mine and this does seem worthy of exploring; I know exactly what my AFR is.

-R
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnlynch47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to replace the sensor and it broke off, and I just didnt want to pull the motor (yet) to fix it. So I am bypassing it with the switch, just to follow up, before I knew the sensor was bad I tried to adjust the throttle. I then discovered the sensor was bad, figured out this switch, it started and ran great like I said at 2500ohms. I then was driving home and remembered the throttle adjust, so I made sure it had warmed up then set the swictch to 50 ohms (ran terribly) adjusted the trottle so it ran nice, now it works like a champ. Im going to drive it for a bit to see if there are any other problems before I pull the motor (or pay someone to pull it) to get the hole rethreaded (easy out did not work) and anything else that needs fixin. so there ya go. anything you feel like im missing?

"I've got a good heart, but this heart can get ugly" Rapper DMX

"Bring your face over here so I can smack it" My Mom

1977 Sage Green Westy up in this!
her name is Velma
1994 Chevy Silverado - Mater
2006 Kia Sedona - Pearl
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlynch47 wrote:
I tried to replace the sensor and it broke off, and I just didnt want to pull the motor (yet) to fix it. So I am bypassing it with the switch, just to follow up, before I knew the sensor was bad I tried to adjust the throttle. I then discovered the sensor was bad, figured out this switch, it started and ran great like I said at 2500ohms. I then was driving home and remembered the throttle adjust, so I made sure it had warmed up then set the swictch to 50 ohms (ran terribly) adjusted the trottle so it ran nice, now it works like a champ. Im going to drive it for a bit to see if there are any other problems before I pull the motor (or pay someone to pull it) to get the hole rethreaded (easy out did not work) and anything else that needs fixin. so there ya go. anything you feel like im missing?

You can easily drill and tap the hole on the #4 cylinder with the engine in place. The function will be the same. You may already have a hole on the #2 cylinder, it will work as well.
johnlynch47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALLLYYYY?! Are there any dementions forth coming? or am I to eyeball it? Anyone have pics?

"I've got a good heart, but this heart can get ugly" Rapper DMX

"Bring your face over here so I can smack it" My Mom

1977 Sage Green Westy up in this!
her name is Velma
1994 Chevy Silverado - Mater
2006 Kia Sedona - Pearl
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlynch47 wrote:
REALLLYYYY?! Are there any dementions forth coming? or am I to eyeball it? Anyone have pics?

You just need to remove the screw that holds the tin down on #4 and drill and tap the hole for a 10mm x 1 mm bolt thread.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I was just recently linked to this thread by Danfromsyr (thanks Dan!). This is a great option for anyone driving an aircooled Vangon, as they are the hottest of the hot!! I have an 81 aircooled vanagon Westy, with California emissions. I have a working temp2, but am unable to reign in CHT. I have tried MANY things, without success. I am going to install this modification with a 5000ohm pot. From radio shack. My plan is to simply unplug the working temp2 and tape up the end. I will attach a wire to the temp2 harness connection and run it to the dash and attach it to the pot. I plan to ground the pot. On one of the open key on the grounding rings under the dash.
My primary question is this, I have a whole reel of 14gauge wire. Will this gauge wire work for this purpose. Also, is my wiring/grounding design feasible? Thanks

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I'm very intrigued by the idea of a manual TSII option. That's right up my alley!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Ye olde thread bump.....

VWinVT wrote:
I know this is an older thread, but I was just recently linked to this thread by Danfromsyr (thanks Dan!). This is a great option for anyone driving an aircooled Vangon, as they are the hottest of the hot!! I have an 81 aircooled vanagon Westy, with California emissions. I have a working temp2, but am unable to reign in CHT. I have tried MANY things, without success. I am going to install this modification with a 5000ohm pot. From radio shack. My plan is to simply unplug the working temp2 and tape up the end. I will attach a wire to the temp2 harness connection and run it to the dash and attach it to the pot. I plan to ground the pot. On one of the open key on the grounding rings under the dash.
My primary question is this, I have a whole reel of 14gauge wire. Will this gauge wire work for this purpose. Also, is my wiring/grounding design feasible? Thanks

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Here's an old thread where Zeen made a temporary TSII sensor out of a Radio Shack variable potentiometer.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248511&highlight=radio+shack+potentiometer

I was glad to see this thread on "manual Temp Sensor II being quoted this week in the thread about the scarcity of TS2 replacement parts -- I've been running a potentiometer on my dash for nearly 2 years.

It looks like Radio Shack sells the one I used for $3.49: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-5k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometers?variant=5717291205

The potentiometer from Radio Shack goes up to 5,000 ohms and I add in about 1/3 of that into the TS2 circuit during an uphill run (or slightly in advance of the hill) and it can cool my CHT temps by 30 degrees.

I attached the potentiometer under my dash using a small angle bracket I had laying around. I connected it to the TS2 circuit using a piece of 2 strand lamp wire (14 gauge, I think).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had Colin tune my AFM in 2014 but even after that I found my cylinder head temperatures go over 400 degrees (Dakota Digital gauge) on long uphill grades on the highway. I also have a dash mounted vacuum gauge and my vacuum is always between 17 and 20 inches at idle, my fuel pressure is good, and my timing is good, so using this manual TS2 is the last step of a long process to bring my CHT temps down.

I only resort to using this manual TS2 when I see the temps going over 390 degrees. Having it installed gives me a lot of peace of mind on longer trips.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

anyone with a catalytic converter needs to know this strategy won't work without burning out the catalytic and everything else around it. They turn cherry red when too much unburned fuel goes thru them. Even at 13.3:1 or so at freeway speeds I can see the slight deterioration in mine just in 4500 miles. And that is 18 - 20 MPG.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

You know, a much better solution to all this theorizing is installing a wideband O2 sensor with a gauge, such as the innovate MTX-L. I have one and I've noticed that the fuel/air mix changes with the seasons. I can precisely tune the mix on the AFM to my liking and keep an eye on the mixture all the time. It's the ultimate gauge.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
57babywindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

I just did this on my '75 Bus. Radio Shack 5k ohms potentiometer. It cost me about $4. I used some wire I had in the garage. Tested it at the motor before running it to the dash. Drilled and mounted it next to the headlight switch. It works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

57babywindow wrote:
I just did this on my '75 Bus. Radio Shack 5k ohms potentiometer. It cost me about $4. I used some wire I had in the garage. Tested it at the motor before running it to the dash. Drilled and mounted it next to the headlight switch. It works great.

Long time lurked? First post in ten years? Nice!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Run the stock TSII signal up to a switch on the dash, so you can toggle between the stock TSII signal and the potentiometer.

I also run an Innovate MTX-L so I know what the adjustments are doing to the mixture.

In short, I'll run the stock TSII signal most of the time for in town driving, but toggle over to the potentiometer when I hit higher speeds on the highway so I can richen up the mixture.

It really helps identify the ranges in which your motor is happiest when you have the MTX-L to tell you the current mixture while you adjust. You can then adjust the AFM itself to a better middle-ground point, which makes adjustments with the potentiometer much easier.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

I'm not much of an electrician, but can follow directions and this just makes sense. I really would stop worrying if I could drop 30 degrees when needed. I see the radio shack potentiometer and will buy the 5k one. Any chance you can share a picture of your setup Chris and also your switch? They're cheap enough, I'll buy them for when Colin shows up, we have this as an option.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
I'm not much of an electrician, but can follow directions and this just makes sense. I really would stop worrying if I could drop 30 degrees when needed. I see the radio shack potentiometer and will buy the 5k one. Any chance you can share a picture of your setup Chris and also your switch? They're cheap enough, I'll buy them for when Colin shows up, we have this as an option.

Link

At work at the moment, but I have this I can share.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Love this, thanks a lot, I'm gonna give it a shot
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Wow, this thread was a game changer for me. I've been battling high CHT's since a recent rebuild. A visit from Colin helped us address the AFM mixture a little, but like Chris, the temps were still pretty high. I installed the potentiometer under the dash and use it on hills. It is amazing, I haul my loaded bus up hills that before would break 440 degrees. With a little dialing-in, I can get the temps to stay below 410 and even lower if I want. With enough ohms, the temps actually drop on big climbs! I don't use it too much, but wow this is a tremendous relief!
One thing I did notice is that there is a slight loss of power the more you increase the ohms and it richens up. I didn't expect that, but small compromise. It truly expands my bussing abilities! I'm not terrified of big hills and higher speeds.
Thanks for the hook-up on this, I love it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for posting your experience with it! I'm considering doing it just to have a "back up" if my ts2 fails.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Temperature Control Knob (manual Temp sensor II) Reply with quote

Dude, I'm telling you, this thing is AWESOME! I ran up and down 89 at 65mph and saw 410 and lower! You know how 89 can get, those hills are looooooong!
A true horizon-extender this hack is!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: