Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transporter Front Disc Brake Conversion, Step by Step
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magician wrote:
Great conversion. I am recently back into a T3. What are the odds this conversion would also work on a 2wd?

It will work on a 2WD Vanagon as long as you can get ahold of a pair of South African front hubs. They resemble the Syncro hubs, but are of course free wheeling hubs with conventional bearings. It is possible to get a machinist to machine down the center section of a standard 2WD rotor into a seperate hub. However, it is hard to find a machinist who will do this from what I've heard.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pleasecheck again, the G60 caliper has two pistons in each, however the pistons measure 36mm and 44mm each

Oops - you are absolutely correct.

Quote:
What are the odds this conversion would also work on a 2wd?

It won't due to 1 pc front hub/rotor on 2wd Vanagons.

Quote:
(Regarding 15% lost side threads)...However, in this case, the main concern is not thread strength, but if the bolt can keep its tightness.

That is my opinion exactly - the metal is all strong enough, just needs to be tight, and this "stays" better than a nut on the end IN MY OPINION (as in I don't want to argue)

Quote:
By the way this whole set up you desribed is being sold on e-bay by someone regularly, starting bid is 500$, with a buy it now of 550$. All work ,mods done , just bolt it on.

That was me - there was no interest shown, and, at $500, it just didn't pay for the time involved
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

However, in this case, the main concern is not thread strength, but if the bolt can keep its tightness. I don't think there is much stretch in a big bolt like that, therefore I would use loctite (blue) to be sure it stays tight.......

I guess I should have been more clear about what I meant. When I said "thread strength", I meant the threads in the caliper carrier not being strong enough to allow the the bolt to be torqued (strecthed) enough to keep the bolt tight without failure (or at least radical distortion of the threads).

If your comfortable with it, cool!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT carrier 8N0-615-125, A8 disc 312mm 8D0-615-301J. I got this from an Audi site as an upgrate to 5000. Therefore the same mod to the carrier should put this massive rotor on a syncro,if you can fit it in the rim, my 303mm just fits my 16" rim.
udarlag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: VW syncro motor fan Reply with quote

Why after I change new motor fan it still makes noise when is on? Thank you!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: caliper hangers Reply with quote

Mike,
Nice work.
One question, were the hangers included with the calipers when you purchased them or did you have to find them on your own.

dylan
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carriers were included. I purchased allparts from www.rockauto.com, parts are here next day, and the prices are really good.

I will be starting my rear brake conversion to Disk. There is another really good thread on this now, I just can't get myself to use spacers in the rotors.
bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Wheels for Audi Big Brakes Reply with quote

Mike,

What wheels are you using with your Audi big brake upgrade?
1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
kayakmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Disc brake upgrade front and rear. Brake pedal question? Reply with quote

Just finished having my Small car aftermarket brakes professionally installed and they look great. and they should soon provide excellent stopping power. Problem is, that my engage point on my brake pedal has dropped considerably. It feels that I almost have my foot to the floorboard before I feel the brakes grab. I couple quick pumps of the pedal and it feels more like normal but as soon as I got to brake again it the same issue. Are my larger calipers needing more fluid to go through the system thereby makeing me press further to move more fluid? Were my new brakes possibly not bled well enough? Might this issue go away as the system builds up more pressure? Imput please.

'87 GL Syncro (conversion)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pros didn't bleed your brakes correctly and there is still have air in the system. The pumping up the pedal is a dead give away of air.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: