Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock diesel westys
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jaholer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Stock diesel westys Reply with quote

Confused I am curious as to why these vehicles are so expensive? We bought one from the original owner about 5yrs ago for $800.00. The engine was perfect as was the camping equipment. Very little rust AND a espar heater that worked. Now the interior was rotted due to a window left open for 5yrs and the cooling system and brakes were shot as well as the canvas. But, under all that was a GREAT van! I see absolute junk priced in the thousands why? We fixed all this and was lacking a paint job (not even an absolut must) and was happy to get $4k when we sold it. (Baby on the way)Now, I don't intend to upset anyone by this post and I'm the stupid one for ever selling my van but, If someone out there has a stock running diesel westy for a cheap price let me know. Please within reasonable distance of east TN. Thanks to all
P.S. how many of ya'll are still driving a stock diesel? Everyone rags on them but I found it very adequit for our needs. I never tried the interstate though.

Last edited by jaholer on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biodiesel is why.
Sorry about your luck but the sticker shock from selling and trying to buy a few years later is why most people don't recommend selling in the first place.
Place a wanted ad in the classifieds, it's free, you aren't supposed to beg for a deal in the forums.
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: diesel Reply with quote

I have also heard the California guys like em due to the fact you can put different powerplants in them and not have to worry about smog since the diesels are not required to smog......or so I have heard Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: diesel Reply with quote

914 mike wrote:
I have also heard the California guys like em due to the fact you can put different powerplants in them and not have to worry about smog since the diesels are not required to smog......or so I have heard Cool

Yeah, beat up ones are always on sale here in Northern California for $ 6,000 and up. Crazy.

Here's a non-westy for way too much..

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/978064658.html

and an adventure-wagon high-roof..... for too much.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/978654293.html

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That passenger one is over priced, IMO, but I think that AW is actually on the low side of what it should be considering what it is if it's as clean and straight on the other side and the inside... If it's all clean and functional I'd think $12,000 would be more appropriate.

Andrew
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that's been around for a while: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=630647

I wonder what might be hiding underneath that truck-bed liner?

There's some probably very serious rust happening below the hook ups.

My diesel westy was 2750 on ebay, with some rust, bad brakes, a really dirty interior, etc . . . obviously it hadn't been maintained well for a while. Low mileage though. Rolling Eyes

Probably the first owner was afraid to drive it, on account of the outrageous slowness. I can imagine the kids complaining: "But it's SOO slow--what if our friends see us? We don't even WANT to go camping!"

Maybe it would have made more sense for me to buy a westy with a blown engine and convert it to turbo diesel. That's something to consider.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
That passenger one is over priced, IMO, but I think that AW is actually on the low side of what it should be considering what it is if it's as clean and straight on the other side and the inside... If it's all clean and functional I'd think $12,000 would be more appropriate.

Andrew

Yeah, that thing is a 1.9td. 10,500 is more than fair if it's in good shape.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
Here's one that's been around for a while: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=630647

I wonder what might be hiding underneath that truck-bed liner?

There's some probably very serious rust happening below the hook ups.

And I just noticed that it doesn't have the black plastic heater-vent thing between the front seats.

'Dealer-maintained' means jack-sh*t to me. I'd prefer a van that was maintained by a knowledgeable owner.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: It looks like it might just be black paint on the bottom . . .
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed a 1~2 year only model that is far more sought after for it's tidbits for engine swaps fetches quite a top dollar for the many years of careful care you are seeking.

try www.craigshelper.com for your area often.

Here's an example of too much money but justifiable when you think of it as a survivor.

http://westky.craigslist.org/cto/947489258.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock diesel westys Reply with quote

[quote="jaholer"]Confused I am curious as to why these vehicles are so expensive? We bought one from the original owner about 5yrs ago for $800.00.quote]

I am not sure of the percentage of diesels that were sold here, but they were only available a few years. That in itself makes them rare. They will run on WVO or biodiesel. They are also good candidates for TD and TDI upgrades. Stock diesels while down on power can be low maintenance and more reliable than the earlier air cooled and later water cooled engines. All of these reasons contribute to the increased value of the Diesel Vanagon. I would not part with ours for any amount of money. Cool
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how about this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=724067

Maybe they meant "twelve hundred" ?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the ad linked above:

Very well kept 1982 Vanagon Diesel 1.6 L ,4 speed standard transmission,all original,168,000 miles in excellent running condition.Radiator re-cored 2 months ago, gets about 45 miles per gallon.Interior clean with original Vanagon mats, carpet, sink,stove and refrigerator. Definately a collectors item.A few small tings on the body.New headlights,wiper blades and mirrors.

wow 45 MPG!!!! no wonder they want $12,000 for it! Laughing
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah, yeah, i saw that too!

It sure is a 'collectors' item!'
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question for anyone with a stock diesel westy or anyone that is knowledgeable about the 1.9TD engine...

On the stock diesels, there is a choke cable assembly; a cold start lever that needs to pulled out to start the engine and then pushed back in once the engine has been running. It affects the amount of fuel being delivered to the vehicle. It has a pull-out handle on the RH side below the steering wheel on the interior of the stock diesels.

I have been told that this choke cable is now obsolete.
Does anyone know why?

I really want to run it from my engine up to the interior similar to the stock diesel setup as it will start better in cold weather and then once pushed back in, I should be able to get better fuel mileage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
Here's a question for anyone with a stock diesel westy or anyone that is knowledgeable about the 1.9TD engine...

On the stock diesels, there is a choke cable assembly; a cold start lever that needs to pulled out to start the engine and then pushed back in once the engine has been running. It affects the amount of fuel being delivered to the vehicle. It has a pull-out handle on the RH side below the steering wheel on the interior of the stock diesels.

Does anyone know why?

I really want to run it from my engine up to the interior similar to the stock diesel setup as it will start better in cold weather and then once pushed back in, I should be able to get better fuel mileage.
its the pump advance for very cold start ups. once it starts push it back in. the new fast glow plugs was the reason its obsolete Wink so i'm told
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922

Last edited by devesvws on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know why?
bd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock diesel westies...synonym for slow?
Wink
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Bus-Vana...enameZWDVW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: