Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Sail?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Anyone Sail? Reply with quote

Not VW related, but I have this "other hobby" called sailing, and I have a Victory Sailboat, 21 foot fiberglass sloop, the earliest ones were made from chopper-gun construction in the late 50's, when fiberglass was just beginning to take off (cutting edge technology). Mine is a 1968, boat #552, and was laid up at Coronado Yachts. All were Southern CA boats, so you don't see any on the east coast although some did go to Oklahoma and Texas? Beautiful, classic lines....Is there anybody that sails sailboats here, or does small boat repair, etc.?

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone Sail? Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
Is there anybody that sails sailboats here, or does small boat repair, etc.?

I've done _lots_ of 'glass repair on my 28' power-boat, before I sold that hole in the water to some other sucker!

I've built several cedar stip canoes, first from a kit then from plans.

I've built a Sailfish... I bought as an started then abandoned "kit". It came out nice.

Now, I work on "bigger boats".

--
The Sea's in my veins,
the tradition remains... etc.
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunfish are cool! Where are you located?

Here's a question for you...what would you use to adhere teak to another wood surface, and fiberglass?

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed relentlessly in High School mostly class racing on oklahoma lakes then competively in College 420s and Lasers. A friend of mine and I started the Sailing Club at the University of Oklahoma (CIRCA 1983) Local guy donated a Dragon (30' loa x 6.5' beam) wood hull and mast. Boat sailed in the 1963 Olympics. It was awesome to race because the numbers were so bad and the boat was pretty fast. We won a lot.

Owned a Hobie 16 and a Laser when I lived in Pensacola.

Haven't sailded much since.

Wood to wood I'd use a decent wood glue the varnish the shit out of it.

Wood to anything else I'd bolt/screw through with some decent size "washer" or custom made plate to reinforce then cap the bolts holes either permanently or with something removable.

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen a sail boat on TV once, Thats my history on sailing. Crying or Very sad
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to sail, and I grew up with most of my sailing experience on 31' O'Day. Sailed on many others C&C, Tartans, etc. I have a Vanguard 15 right now that is in desperate need of hull repair, but the damn VW keeps getting in my way. My wife keeps on asking me when am I going to do something with it. Smile

One of my Dad's friends had a Snark which he got from Kool cigs. This thing was a blast, it was a styrofoam hull that he glassed over. I can't tell you how many times I had to right that thing back over.

I can't give you much advice on your technical questions. I used to work part-time at a full service marina doing all the crap jobs. At one time I had a purple tint to me from all the bottoms I had to sand. I don't miss those days. One thing I do remember is the full timers there loved two part epoxy. I swore they used it on everything.

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COFBack wrote:
Sailed relentlessly in High School mostly class racing on oklahoma lakes then competively in College 420s and Lasers. A friend of mine and I started the Sailing Club at the University of Oklahoma (CIRCA 1983) Local guy donated a Dragon (30' loa x 6.5' beam) wood hull and mast. Boat sailed in the 1963 Olympics. It was awesome to race because the numbers were so bad and the boat was pretty fast. We won a lot.

Wood to anything else I'd bolt/screw through with some decent size "washer" or custom made plate to reinforce then cap the bolts holes either permanently or with something removable.

i was a member of the ou sailing club in '83 also Shocked if you had curly hair i remember you. i entered one regatta at dirtybird and came in last Laughing i could sail but i knew nothing about tactics. i've sailed hobie 14's, 16's and 18's, sunfish, lazer and a couple of others. i owned a viper 15 that was built in texas but i sold it about 8 years ago. i miss it too...
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaherbie wrote:
COFBack wrote:

i was a member of the ou sailing club in '83 also Shocked if you had curly hair i remember you. i entered one regatta at dirtybird and came in last Laughing i could sail but i knew nothing about tactics. i've sailed hobie 14's, 16's and 18's, sunfish, lazer and a couple of others. i owned a viper 15 that was built in texas but i sold it about 8 years ago. i miss it too...

HOLY SHIT, BJH That is wild.

Don't have curly hair though, I did have a buddy from texas come up and skipper a race for us out at dirtybird, would have been in the summer of 84.

I lived on Garfield, we kept the Dragon in our front yard over through the spring working on it until we dropped it in T-bird, that summer.

Professor Howard (can't remember his last name) was the faculty sponsor, he raced a Santana 20 out there. My roomate T-boned him on a start once, kinda funny.

small world.

Robert

Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COFBack wrote:

Donated a Dragon? Those boats are awesome, not really big here but pretty big in Europe, georgeous sloop and fast! My buddy's grandfather sailed one, and pretty much sailed everything else. COFBack, the Victory 21 sloop class was really big in the 60's into the 80's, do you remember them in Oklahoma/Texas?

Rolla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 25 Catalina, my brother has a 25 Duff (I think), and my other brother has a 22 Catalina. I used to race Lasers and J30’s at the Naval Academy. I am also part of the Royal Annapolis Sailing club and various other clubs in the Annapolis region. I actually was home on leave about 6 months ago and entered in a race located in southern Ga. called Smooch on the Hooch…we got 2nd out of the 3 boats in our class, LOL.

Cheer’s for Vdubs and Sailing, two hobbies that let you enjoy life!
SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:

Just a few miles awauy from the festering boil in the rectum of the US (AKA "Memphis, TN")

Don't sail here though, left my boats in NH, we do most of our sailing/paddling in Bear Brook State Park, Allenstown, NH

Typ311Dave wrote:

Here's a question for you...what would you use to adhere teak to another wood surface, and fiberglass?

For what purpose?

For something like a vaneer, I'd wide it down extra good wth acetone to try and get as much of the oils off of it and them use something like Gorilla Glue ( a moisture cured pulyuretane glue) to advere it.
1974 Super Beetle, ("Put-Putt")
1971 Super Beetle Convertable (a bare shell.)
1987 Volvo 745Ti 835k Mi. "Grouchy"
1988 Volvo 764Ti 380k Mi. "Speedy"
1988 Volvo 765Ti 160k Mi. "Road Trip!!!"
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
Donated a Dragon?

Went went our begging for money and/or boats to all the OKC and Tulsa Clubs. This guy said he had a boat he would donate. Hadn't been in the water for a decade. We took it not knowing what we were getting into. When it was all done it was a beautiful boat. Fun to sail and the club was so small it was like a bunch of kids having their own personal yacht. It was nice

Typ311Dave wrote:
COFBack, the Victory 21 sloop class was really big in the 60's into the 80's, do you remember them in Oklahoma/Texas?

Not specifically. If I class raced it was Laser, 420s, 470s, J boats. At that time I didn't own anything. I just went down to the Hefner Yacht Club and hung out with a pair of gloves. Never had to wait long.

I did the same when I got down to Pensacola hoping to learn some ocean racing, but the first guy I hooked up with was a flaming asshole skipper. I raced twice with him, then bought my Hobie. Raced it a couple times but it was old and worn.

Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandSquid wrote:
Typ311Dave wrote:

Just a few miles awauy from the festering boil in the rectum of the US (AKA "Memphis, TN")

Don't sail here though, left my boats in NH, we do most of our sailing/paddling in Bear Brook State Park, Allenstown, NH

Typ311Dave wrote:

For what purpose?

For something like a vaneer, I'd wide it down extra good wth acetone to try and get as much of the oils off of it and them use something like Gorilla Glue ( a moisture cured pulyuretane glue) to advere it.

I have a fiberglass sliding cuddy hatch on my Victory sailboat, doesn't pop up, it just slides fore and aft, the wood slats that the rails are screwed into are broken, so my neighbor who's a woodworker, milled out 2 pieces of teak just like the originals, and now I have to adhere the teak pieces to what looks like wood that is formed into the fiberglass, so I can screw the rails on then I could slide it back on the cuddy top.

Was thinking of lightly chiseling out the old epoxy, and sanding it smoth and using Gorilla Glue, but didn't know if that would work or if I should use something more powerful.

SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
Was thinking of lightly chiseling out the old epoxy, and sanding it smoth and using Gorilla Glue, but didn't know if that would work or if I should use something more powerful.

That'd do it, so long as you get all the oils off the wood before the glue goes on. Gorilla Glue is really strong stuff, but be careful not to over-do it. the stuff foams and oozes like crazy and is a b!tch to get off. I wipe it on and squeegee the excess off with a creadit card type of scraper.. You want just a very thin film. If you think you don't have enough, you probably have too much. practive on some scrap to get a feel for cleaning off the oils, and how much it's going to ooze and foam.
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandSquid wrote:
Typ311Dave wrote:

That'd do it, so long as you get all the oils off the wood before the glue goes on. Gorilla Glue is really strong stuff, but be careful not to over-do it. the stuff foams and oozes like crazy and is a b!tch to get off. I wipe it on and squeegee the excess off with a creadit card type of scraper.. You want just a very thin film. If you think you don't have enough, you probably have too much. practive on some scrap to get a feel for cleaning off the oils, and how much it's going to ooze and foam.

See that's the thing right there, my neighbor told me that teak is oily, and we even considered going with oak....that's too late now, but how do you get the oils off the wood?

Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
SandSquid wrote:
Typ311Dave wrote:

See that's the thing right there, my neighbor told me that teak is oily, and we even considered going with oak....that's too late now, but how do you get the oils off the wood?

The surface oil will evaporate after a few days outdoors, while the oil that remains below the surface will endure, enabling the wood's unmatched durability. Hence the reason teak was used instead of oak. Don't get me wrong oak is good, but teak can handle the elements much better.

All Guard has some very good teak cleaning products. If I recall correcty (from the crap jobs I had to do above) it removes mostly debris and surface oils. Hopefully enough for your application.

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
SandSquid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:

See that's the thing right there, my neighbor told me that teak is oily,

It is oily, but that is a good thing, for the most part.

Quote:
and we even considered going with oak....?

maybe white oak, but never red oak.

Quote:
but how do you get the oils off the wood?

wipe down w/ acetone.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a few crusing boats (C&C's) and raced PHRF fleets before discovering fleet racing crewing in a Melges 24. I've since bought a J24 of my own.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious - A Type 3 guy and a Melgi/J24 Sailor! - I'm impressed!

Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
Envious - A Type 3 guy and a Melgi/J24 Sailor! - I'm impressed!
Is Melgi the plural of Melges Very Happy
Here's my J....whiplash
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: