Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mechanics forum
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Mechanics forum Reply with quote

There are many opinions on this forum and quite a few knowledgeable mechanics out there. With a huge number of people that need HELP.
With a bunch of people just giving advise like in a bar. Some good and some just down right BAD. I think this also causes much of the ruffled feathers out there.
Politics have no business in forums responses and posts deletions when it comes to helping people. This site has been around long enough so that members shouldn't end up Like Runnslikeapennguin did because he took it somewhere else when his car could have been easily trouble shot here. Its always up to the reader what advise he takes, but if he or she doesn't have anything to go on whats he to do?

I think one having some sort of rating system for members who are mechanics and a forum for them would be a great help in the long run for everyone concerned.
Everett you guys have a great site and I find it enjoyable to help the vee dubb scene when I can.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what content would be contained in a Mechanic forum section.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

It sounds like only "rated" mechanics can respond. Kind of like "ask an expert".

What happens when these "experts" go after each others which has happened in the Performance forum?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

It sounds like only "rated" mechanics can respond. Kind of like "ask an expert".

What happens when these "experts" go after each others which has happened in the Performance forum?

oh, you mean like the Type 1 vs Type 4 debates? or any other topic that will bring a variety of opinions?

I don't see how a 'Mechanic's' forum would be any different than the current Performance forum, unless the OP is suggesting a restricted membership...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics forum Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Like Runnslikeapennguin did because he took it somewhere else when his car could have been easily trouble shot here..

I read his thread, he should have posted a question about it instead of ok'ing the work to be done.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

My thinking is kind of like the premium lounge but for members who actually know what the heck they're talking about. They have a place where they bounce questions off each other or post hey "guy" there's a problem over here and who ever has a specialty in a particular field can give sound advice on that particular diagnostic., Be it bodywork, restoration, collision repair, electrical, transmission or engine diagnostic.

Members who post honest questions often get opinions from every angle at once. And the poor guy, if he doesn't have clue. Goes with what ever, possibly making his problems worse. There is an acceptable flow chart for every diagnostic, and Honestly in the two years I've been reading and replying on this forum I have never seen it used. That's not saying it hasn't been, but where?
An example of this is Carburetor help, I've seen Senior members tell posters with honest questions about how to get the dual or single after market carb synced or adjusted. "Your on your own on that one"
Or buy this so and so manual and figure it out for yourself

Recently I received an message that read..

Quote:
Hey,

I have probably a simple motor question for you if you have a minute. I have a 40 horse in a 64 beetle that I bought a few weeks ago. Motor does not smoke or knock. It has a vacuum advance distributor and a 30 pict carb. I have not set the timing with a light or checked the point gap. I have rebuilt the carb. The problem is when I rev the motor parked there is a hesitation/stumble before the motor revs up. Or when when driving it does it when accelerating after changing gears. Is there a simple fix? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

my reply was..Many possibilities do you have tools?

Quote:
I have my fair share of them unless there are some unique ones that I would need.

A dwell meter is good, and timing light better. ?

Quote:
I have neither but I can get either one tomorrow. Do you think that is what the stumbling is? I was told that it sounded like the carb. How many turns do you set the carb jet to?

"It sounds like the carb" is the number one answer for every car problem out there. If you want help I'll give it to you but I really dont have the time to debate it. A >base< setting for that carb is 2 1/4 turns out from stop.
But none of that will do you any good unless your basics are solid,
Vales set cold, spark plugs gaped and clean, dwell, ignition timing,
>Then carb in that order<. Does it smell like turpentine? If the car has been sitting and it has bad gas it will act like this tooo...see where I'm going yet?
Rodney

In this simple feedback loop I still dont know if the car has been sitting for 20 years and "ALL" he needs is to clean his fuel system.

I know every "member" has their strong and weak points and that's what this forum would be for. They could hash it out amongst themselves and figure out bigger problems or wait for that one guy who's not here to often to get to it. But with a rating star or whatever the question poster could honestly see he getting solid advise or just someone giving their opinion. I have seen a sigline that stated that the guy has no idea what he's talking about in the tech and I thought that was the most helpful, cause he was honest.

here is a great example of what BS I am talking about..

Spezialist wrote:
xxxx wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
If you think its not cooling because its too hot outside and everything is tuned correctly then just keep the rpms up, they should be anyway >the rpms that is. cruising at 3500+ is optimum your redline is 5500 for a bone stock engine and a good engine can run at that under full load all day long. If you dont have a tach get one and use the old wires from your oil temp gauge Wink . The tach is the only gauge that vw should have put in the American mrkt. imho

actually the redline is about 3600-4000 roms, depending on the motor (from owners manual)

From personal experience and testing, the best cooling rpm is ~2600-2800. It runs hotter at higher and at lower rpms than that. So if it is a really hot day, and you have a lot of stuff in the bus, don't speed up... you might want to slow down a bit.

2600-2800 rpms is slower than most peoples usual cruising rpms/speed.
Guages are helpful for this... you can see if you drive 5 mph faster, does it runs hotter? cooler? Something to look at on a road trip.
It takes a few minutes for the oil temp guage to show it. Head temps respond faster.

Quote:
1600 DP 34 pict 3
> redline is what?

This poster means well I'm sure, but they have their facts all wrong Redline for a 1600dp engine is 5500. Posting an uninformed rebuttal only confuses anybody that doesn't know better which is 99% of the members.

This site is huge and growing everyday and instead of pointing members to other sites or buy this or that book I feel thesamba could eliminate some of the bs that goes on in the tech "keep that in the rants"

And you shouldnt get threads like this..http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244667
Ask yourself this..why does a poster come on and make two posts about a car problem and never return?

Rodney.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether someone knows what they are talking about is a matter of wild opinion and much argument in every field of expertise. A Forum section would not help with this. A rating system might, although from viewing a rating system used on another site I visit, it requires a certain level of administrative review for it to be accurate.

Why do people post 1 or 2 messages and never return? That is common on every Forum I have ever visited. I have done that myself. Post a question and either get the answer there or figure it out for myself and never post again unless I have another problem, which could be years later.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment, you have a good day.
Edit: I guess my approach was a bit abrasive Wink
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this site is self-correcting enough. A rating system would just add more complexity and politics. We have enough knowledgable users, that any misinformation gets smacked down in short order.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
IMO, this site is self-correcting enough. A rating system would just add more complexity and politics. We have enough knowledgable users, that any misinformation gets smacked down in short order.

You mean to say their no politics in this community? WOW!
wheres that smackdown? Wink

On a funny note, I am seeing the reality of that "forum" it would probably be an echo chamber.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
You mean to say their no politics in this community? WOW!
wheres that smackdown? Wink

I said more. There's already plenty. Wink

Quote:
On a funny note, I am seeing the reality of that "forum" it would probably be an echo chamber.

"Circle-jerk" would have been my description, but yeah.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: