Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been busy working on the 71 Notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

Just paying a visit, Buddy. How's Krunchy?
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:

As far as I know, he's doing fine, as I sold him about 7 years ago. Last time I saw him, he had a layer of dirt/thick dust on him, but was still complete.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
DONGKG wrote:

As far as I know, he's doing fine, as I sold him about 7 years ago. Last time I saw him, he had a layer of dirt/thick dust on him, but was still complete.

Oh may..! that is, I don't know, cool or what? But what is good is that he is being kept properly.. so to speak!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
After losing two months of precious salt-free summer driving time to chasing gremlins in Krunchy's F.I. system, I've decided to make the switch to carbs.

I fiddled, tested, swapped, retested, bought , swapped, traded, and did I say, retested all the F.I. components, and still the gremlin came back.

Years ago I had a '72 Squareback I tried to migrate to FI. Ultimately, we were able to determine that the ECU was faulty, and even then, it was not cost effective to do anything about that.

Well, I just finished going through the thread, and what a huge amount of seriously inspiring work. I keep getting more and more excited about the efforts I'm about to be able to make on mine!

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
After losing two months of precious salt-free summer driving time to chasing gremlins in Krunchy's F.I. system, I've decided to make the switch to carbs.

I fiddled, tested, swapped, retested, bought , swapped, traded, and did I say, retested all the F.I. components, and still the gremlin came back.

Years ago I had a '72 Squareback I tried to migrate to FI. Ultimately, we were able to determine that the ECU was faulty, and even then, it was not cost effective to do anything about that.

Well, I just finished going through the thread, and what a huge amount of seriously inspiring work. I keep getting more and more excited about the efforts I'm about to be able to make on mine!

The guy I sold it to ended up going with a set of Weber 34ICTs, so he could drive it as the FI kept giving him trouble. I had re-installed the FI back on it, and it ran really good before I sold the car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Wendell Harvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

Bob, I'm referring to the area under the wing window that the rubber sits in.
On a 1961 VW sedan such as mine, the rubber mounts to the door, not to the wing window unfortunately I'm told. So if i mount the rubber in the door, there's nothing for it to rest on as the previous owner cut it out to make room for the one peace window to travel thru. I think it might look like a flat channel that just supports the wing window rubber and have a hole in it for the wing window pivit post at the bottom of the window to pass thru. How can you show me or tell me what it looks like so i can fabricate a new peace of metal and installl it?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

I hate to pass the buck on this, but you might want to direct this question to the 1500 club. I only say that, as the tab you're talking about is actually a combination of the inner door skin and outer door skin being spot welded together to form a "u" shaped part. I have no idea on the depth of it, as I'd never see a pre-65 door set up under the wing window. I was just going off later models that I commonly work on. Maybe Jason (Notchboy) or Jack (IBJack) or Pedro can help you out with either photos or some measurements.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I hate to pass the buck on this, but you might want to direct this question to the 1500 club. I only say that, as the tab you're talking about is actually a combination of the inner door skin and outer door skin being spot welded together to form a "u" shaped part. I have no idea on the depth of it, as I'd never see a pre-65 door set up under the wing window. I was just going off later models that I commonly work on. Maybe Jason (Notchboy) or Jack (IBJack) or Pedro can help you out with either photos or some measurements.

This probably the wrong thread for this topic.

But, I can probably help. Mine is an early '63 and I have all of it apart.

The vent wing is different to later ones, but only slightly. The rubber does mount to the wing. But there is a difference on the doors regarding the depth of the tabs connecting inner and outer parts of the door. I can take pictures and measurements later today.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

Wendell Harvey wrote:
Bob, I'm referring to the area under the wing window that the rubber sits in.
On a 1961 VW sedan such as mine, the rubber mounts to the door, not to the wing window unfortunately I'm told. So if i mount the rubber in the door, there's nothing for it to rest on as the previous owner cut it out to make room for the one peace window to travel thru. I think it might look like a flat channel that just supports the wing window rubber and have a hole in it for the wing window pivit post at the bottom of the window to pass thru. How can you show me or tell me what it looks like so i can fabricate a new peace of metal and installl it?

Wendell owns a 61 VW sedan, so I'm wondering if the Type 1 & 3 wing windows are the same?
It sounds like his vent windows don't have metal frames?
Seems like he needs a good used set of doors if he wants stock windows in his bug again.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Been busy working on the 71 Notch Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

This probably the wrong thread for this topic.

But, I can probably help. Mine is an early '63 and I have all of it apart.

The vent wing is different to later ones, but only slightly. The rubber does mount to the wing. But there is a difference on the doors regarding the depth of the tabs connecting inner and outer parts of the door. I can take pictures and measurements later today.

I have no problem with questions being asked in this thread, even if it's not related to my old car.
Michael, if you want to post pics and dimensions, go right ahead. It wouldn't be the first time this thread has gotten off track. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Jump to:
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: