Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So..you've changed your wheels. and used spacers..HOW IS IT?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlueTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: So..you've changed your wheels. and used spacers..HOW IS IT? Reply with quote

IM CURIOUS..

to all the people that have changed wheels and had to use spacers/longer lugs....

are you satisfied with the result?
do you notice any performance issues?
is it fragile?
has anyone used this setup in off-road conditions?
why did you do this instead of buying the rims that fit?

i would really like some input about your results..
thanks.
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used spacers with the 15" Audi 5000 Turbo wheels, on a '87 Syncro Westy. It's been 1 year and 6000 miles, and I have had no issues with them at all. Tire wear is normal, good handling, no tire or slider rub, etc.
Since then I have used the van in some mild to moderate 4wd situations with no problems.
I chose to use spacers because I need to do things in the most difficult way possible...actually, at the time I had more time than money to spend. I saved a few bucks, and made up a few new words.
Overall, I am very happy with the results.
The description of this adventure is on page 11 of the 'Ultimate Wheel Post' - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203519
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works Great
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I currently run 15mm spacers on the front, but will be going to 20mm soon, and longer wheel bolts from ECS.

The rear...well, long story short: at the end of the week it will be anotherh 20mm wider and longer studs, but it'll be because of the disc brake conversion i'm building, not necessarily spacers.

I have taken mine into some offroad situations, and its been airborn before. Its held up very well. I do recomend retorqueing your lugs after a week or so if you use spacers.

Depending on spacer size and wheels, you can see some quicker wear on the wheelbearings, but unless you're going to the extreme, it won't be noticeable.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bern wrote:

Depending on spacer size and wheels, you can see some quicker wear on the wheelbearings, but unless you're going to the extreme, it won't be noticeable.
that extreme might apply too the Ronal wheels with ET20 or less..even with 215 tires, the sliding door will just touch the tire when open
weatherbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16" wheels using the long lug nuts....no problems at all.

I like 16" wheels on my VW. Gives me much more choice when i go to get tires, than 14" tires.

They say if you increase the diameter of your tires, it helps to give more RPM room as well.
Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherbill wrote:

They say if you increase the diameter of your tires, it helps to give more RPM room as well.

Increasing your tire diameter is essentially regearing your van. Bigger tires basically equals taller gears, so your cruising speed will be higher and/or a lower RPM. It doesn't really change your RPM "range" as that has more to do with the motor than the gearing.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Winston: Spacers, Conversion Studs Reply with quote

You can read what I did... On the whole, he runs very well and smoothly. Every now and then I hit a stretch of road that makes Winston vibrate and get nervous, but I think that's just the ghastly state of Colorado roads and the fact that the Michelin Agilis tires he has on him now are more road-sensitive.

They did fine off road, they roll very well, and I'm getting 22mpg. I'll check my torque on the new nuts soon, but they were all fine the first time I did it, and no sign at all of chafing on the insides of the tires.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bern wrote:

I currently run 15mm spacers on the front, but will be going to 20mm soon, and longer wheel bolts from ECS.

The rear...well, long story short: at the end of the week it will be anotherh 20mm wider and longer studs, but it'll be because of the disc brake conversion i'm building, not necessarily spacers.

I have taken mine into some offroad situations, and its been airborn before. Its held up very well. I do recomend retorqueing your lugs after a week or so if you use spacers.

what rims are those?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not completed my own transformation. Should work out fine. I just haven't decided what my overall plan with tires yet. The rims are Passat 5x112 (fit without adapters) the adapters act as spacers. The apapter/spacers are wider for the rear to flush out the wheels to the body.

Some old pics when I did a test bolt-up.

The issue was no clearance on the front-end and needed longer studs in the rear. I wanted the wheels to be further out anyway. Cool This method seemed less dangerous and stronger to me.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
This method seemed less dangerous and stronger to me.

I would agree with this to a point. I personally have run cars with all different thickness's of spacers. The problem is that the thinnest Adapter/spacers (like Van-go has on his) are 20mm thick. If you only need a 5mm spacer, you pretty much stuck.

Here's a scenerio. Say you have a wheel with a 35mm offset and you really need a 30mm offset to make it fit properly. If you decided to run a 20mm thick adapter/spacer, your offset would end up being 15mm which bad. Running a quality 5mm spacer with longer studs/bolts is a much better solution in this case.

But, given another scenerio where the wheels you want to run have a 45mm offset, a 20mm adapter/spacer makes sense because your effective offset becomes 25mm which is much closer to reasonable.

I personally feel comfortable running a spacer up to 20mm thick provided the spacers are of good quality as well as the wheel hardware (which I feel is more important than the spacer). Once you get past 20mm thick spacers, you would be much better off running adapter/spacers.

I have 18mm thick spacers on the rear of my Bus right now and they have been there for years. No problems!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go, what is the offset of your Passat wheels and how thick are your adapter/spacers (if you don't mind me asking)?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I guess that I should try to answer your questions directly.

Quote:
are you satisfied with the result?

Yes! The spacers and long studs in the rear accomplished exactly what I needed them to.

Quote:
do you notice any performance issues?

If by "issues" you mean trouble, no! The only time you might have trouble with the spacers or longer wheels hardware is when they are not used or installed properly or are of poor quality.

Quote:
is it fragile?

No! If quality products are used, the combination is just as sound as the factory set-up.

Quote:
has anyone used this setup in off-road conditions?

I personally have not but have read many, many accounts of people who have. It goes back to the above question, as long as quality hardware is used throughout and it is installed properly, you have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
why did you do this instead of buying the rims that fit?

In general, there are very few wheels that are direct bolt on's. Of those wheels, a fair number are not as good as they could be in terms of offset. Take for instance some of the Ronals and the GoWesty/AT Ilitia wheels. Neither of these have an ideal offset for the Vanagon but they fit and people run them without many issues.

I personally feel that it is better to have a wheel that fits as well as possible even if that means spacers or adapters versus a wheel that bolts on with no spacers or adapters but has the wrong offset.

TheBlueTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. that was great thanks for all the response guys.

so . i dont have to be weldy or crafty to make this happen? i can just buy parts to bolt on?

also.. ONE MORE question.

somebody ..( i forget which shop has a pair of 15'' 5x112 30mm steel wheels.. i think their considered south african steel wheels?

for $89 each..... know anything about these?
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steel rims may prevent you from upgrading to larger front brake rotors/calipers.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
Van-go, what is the offset of your Passat wheels and how thick are your adapter/spacers (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hey Loogy, Those wheels are 45mm offset. The adapter dem.? I'll have to measure em' up. (in the 20mm to 25mm range though)

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
weatherbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what rims are those?

audi 5kQT
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBlueTurtle wrote:
wow. that was great thanks for all the response guys.

so . i dont have to be weldy or crafty to make this happen? i can just buy parts to bolt on?

also.. ONE MORE question.

somebody ..( i forget which shop has a pair of 15'' 5x112 30mm steel wheels.. i think their considered south african steel wheels?

for $89 each..... know anything about these?
you may have difficulty trying to find a shop that has these wheels in stock...they seem to always be on back order
homeydn2nome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: 89 Carat with '07 16" jetta wheels Reply with quote

I want to know if I need 20mm, is it OK to use 1" adapters all the way aound. that brings the wheels out 1/4" more.
I plan to use lug bolts on the front and nuts on the rear to attach the adapters. Then use lug nuts only all the way around to attach the wheels to the studs.
can I just shoot them on with an impact gun? or is torque something which should be measured?
if anyone has done this, please inform me how much fear I should be in.
wheel shops don't want to touch them.
DH
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: