Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy heater
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Westy heater Reply with quote

I have bought tons of stuff for the bus at places like Home Depot, Frys Electronics, a solar electric website (for the automatic transfer switch) various websites...the wall light switches came from some electronics house in Australia, things come from all over.

Just getting all the parts necessary to install the gas heater correctly has been a huge effort. I've collected parts from all regions of the country as well as Canada to get this thing installed as it would have been back in 67. I'm still waiting for the definitive answer on what color the fan blade should be. Rolling Eyes

I could not imagine restoring campers for a living. I would be eating Top Ramen because I will spend as much time as necessary locating the perfect part or making sure that if I make a modification or improvement, it is as undetectable as possible. Now that I am most of the way through the journey with this bus, I have formed the opinion that restoration of a stock bug is exponentially easier (well, maybe not a split). Old buses (especially campers with all their oddball parts) are a real challenge if you're picky.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Just getting all the parts necessary to install the gas heater correctly has been a huge effort. I've collected parts from all regions of the country as well as Canada to get this thing installed as it would have been back in 67. I'm still waiting for the definitive answer on what color the fan blade should be. Rolling Eyes

Bug choke cable will work for the heat regulator and the fan would be orange if it was 12volt or silver/grey if 6volt. '67 is kind of an odd year though, I think i have a 12 volt heater with a silver fan- i'd have to rip it apart to see what year it is.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I was able to get a bowden cable from a 68 bus so it has the same rubber knob as my 67 has. Used a lighted defroster switch with rubber knob from a fat chick beetle for the on/off switch--just buffed the defrost symbol off--it glows green when the unit is on. The cable and switch are mounted on either side of the heat control knob.

My heater came out of a bay bus so it had the orange fan and the wrong (too-short) base with the stupid little adaptor extension thing, but does have the diaphragm pump. I would like to find an early splitbus base so that I don't have to modify/lengthen the bay base. I don't mind doing it but it is always easier to use a factory part.

Hardest heater part to find was the little gizmo that changes the rectangular duct to adapt it to the three inch round corrugated tubing under the bed. The one I did get was beat up pretty bad, but after sandblasting and the old "Mario treatment" it looks perfect.

(sorry for going OT)
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Luckily I was able to get a bowden cable from a 68 bus so it has the same rubber knob as my 67 has. Used a lighted defroster switch with rubber knob from a fat chick beetle for the on/off switch--just buffed the defrost symbol off--it glows green when the unit is on. The cable and switch are mounted on either side of the heat control knob.

My heater came out of a bay bus so it had the orange fan and the wrong (too-short) base with the stupid little adaptor extension thing, but does have the diaphragm pump. I would like to find an early splitbus base so that I don't have to modify/lengthen the bay base. I don't mind doing it but it is always easier to use a factory part.

Hardest heater part to find was the little gizmo that changes the rectangular duct to adapt it to the three inch round corrugated tubing under the bed. The one I did get was beat up pretty bad, but after sandblasting and the old "Mario treatment" it looks perfect.

(sorry for going OT)

If you need the measurements for the stand let me know.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the definitive answer on what color the fan blade should be

This is an og '67 Westy heater 12 volt.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Major Woody
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the definitive answer on what color the fan blade should be

This is an og '67 Westy heater 12 volt.

Do you have any better pictures of your heater??? I look forward to the day I can get mine going and in the bus..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I hope no one gets dissed for hijacking the thread momentarily but the heater's all tucked away in that storage bin alongside its 6 volt compatriot. Try the gallery but if you can't find anything pipe up and I'll drag it all out for a photo shoot.
Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for moving back to the BN4 discussion...
Here is the heater that came with my 67:

Annie Dillard

55 Rag Top
67 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: