Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big Brakes for an 85
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Big Brakes for an 85 Reply with quote

I know there has been much discussion here regarding brakes, enough to inspire me to want to change mine (thanks alot, samba-teers). I went to the Smallcar site but they've only got the kit for 86 and up. And I don't see them at GW or BusDepot. Any complete kits for an 85? I'm not competent enough to manufacture or hodgepodge something together.

I also see that GW sells the grooved rotors for the 85 and earlier. Would these alone make any significant difference in stopping power? Or should I just install a large anchor coming out of my ass and drop it in emergencies?

Richard
Mikees86TransSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you with regards to a source. I do have a coment on the cross-drilling & slotting of rotors -

Cross-drilling and slotting rotors does not DIRECTLY improve braking in any way, and it actually does to opposite - two rotors, side by side, if exactly the same with the exception that one is cross drilled & slotted? The un-modified rotor will stop better.

Reason being, more surface area / contact between rotor & brake pads. Cross drilling & slotting helps with cooling - so if you race your vanagon on the weekends on slalom courses, the cross-drilled / slotted rotors are necessary - otherwise, FOR A VANAGON, they are just for looks and will, in fact, reduce braking performance.

(Comments above are from real-world experience, and many will not agree - just my 2C)
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the opinion! It was actually your post on brakes that pushed me over the edge to desire big brakes, but I can't find them anywhere for my year.
Your comments on the slotted rotors make sense. Overheating has been an issue, especially when descending from the eastern sierras on these steep and long grades, but overall stopping power is more of an issue for me.
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van-cafe has a good looking big brake kit. im seriously thinking about getting it. also, im seriously not going to use any caps in this post.

:EDIT: So. Besides the fact i'm a moron, i just ordered the V-C setup, should be here friday! Very Happy

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A

Last edited by ProvoCyclist on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowleopard wrote:
I appreciate the opinion! It was actually your post on brakes that pushed me over the edge to desire big brakes, but I can't find them anywhere for my year.
Your comments on the slotted rotors make sense. Overheating has been an issue, especially when descending from the eastern sierras on these steep and long grades, but overall stopping power is more of an issue for me.

You should brake a bit more with your transmission (like the truckers do) to avoid overheating your brake fluid. For a vanagon you should definitely get solid rotors. I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes and I'll either do something home brew or get the Vancafe set.

Good luck..
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
snowleopard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-cafe! I should've looked there first! Going to order those soon.... Big brakes, here I come. On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult do you think this kit is to install? For a newbie to mechanics?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: