Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upper Bed, How to make it comfy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Hi there,

My upper bed is not comfortable.

What have people done to make it still just an easy flip and ready to sleep or go (depending on the direction your going)?

Has anybody made the hinge bigger for a thicker mattress that folds like the old one?

I looked for a thread but could not find it here (bad searches, perhaps?).

Thank you!
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Full size bed mattress toppers work really well.

A 2" one like this makes it nice up top, and you can use it down below too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Milliard-Memory-Foam-Matt...4&th=1

If you camp in cold weather avoid the memory foam toppers though. They are like rocks when cold.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

I have an duplicate set of upper pads with covers.
I double them up when I need to be up top. When not in use, they store on the bottom.
Xevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I have an duplicate set of upper pads with covers.
I double them up when I need to be up top. When not in use, they store on the bottom.

My problem with foam, is where to store it when not in use. I don’t want to haul around a foam burrito that gets in my way. Wellington may have solved this issue if I understand correctly. I could take a foam topper and cut the width into 3 sections. Two sections could fit behind the folded top bed area with pop top down. The third section could lay flat on the bottom rear cushion allowing me to pack things on top of rear cushion. I believe the foam against the fabric texture of the top bunk would keep the 3 sections of foam from shifting. I might play around with that idea. To the OP, Currently I use a thick old school Colman sleeping bag and use it like a mattress pad. It works well and folds up or rolls up smallish and out of the way.
Foam would be even better. Thanks for the idea Wellington.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
I dont hate anyone on the Samba - except for Xevin - who brought me cold coffee in the morning.

[email protected] wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

I have the 2" GW topper and really like it on the bottom bunk. The 1" version can remain stored on the upper bunk with the top closed according to the website. I am sure even the 1" would be a decent improvement.

Link - https://www.gowesty.com/product/mattress-toppers/4272/mattress-topper-upper-lower-bed-vanagon
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Just realized the error in my thinking...

Last edited by Hatterasker on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

i use a thick comforter and an amount Southern Comfort. even a gravel parking lot can be comfortable in the proper proportions of comforter and Southern Comfort.
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
i use a thick comforter and an amount Southern Comfort. even a gravel parking lot can be comfortable in the proper proportions of comforter and Southern Comfort.

I believe that is what is known as a Southern Comforter.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

one option that may or may not work for you.
the upper bed can be left out flat.. this will allow a much thicker mattress to be left up there with the roof down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Perhaps a consideration is with the foam itself. I have had an experience with real latex mattresses that blew my mind. The idea of leaving the upper bunk flat was not even in my ability of thought until I saw one of the Daves' having it down with the top down... Never occurred to me. Get a real latex mattress company on the line and ask them about options. Ours had 7 layers of varying thicknesses of pad stacked up for the best support, so I know they make thinner and thicker pieces with different densities. Personally, I was overjoyed with one my former spouse bought, never slept better in my life. She didn't like it for some other strange reason, and sent it back. I'd certainly entertain keeping a top bunk flat, with a thicker real latex pad, if I were doing more 'family' camping. As is, I'm only up there for an hour or 3 perhaps twice a summer, and if so, I steal the lower bed's 2" memory foam pad.

I guess you'd be sewing a new cover, if you were going to be getting thicker than stock. But, perhaps a real latex pad in stock depth would suit your needs as well.

-bobby
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the upper bed can be left out flat.. this will allow a much thicker mattress to be left up there with the roof down.

I do this. Leave the bed open and you have 3" of extra storage space up there while driving. Especially if you don't have rear passengers you won't even notice. When you get to camp pop the top and fold it back.
Trueblue77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

I use a Klymit V double sleeping pad. Fits perfectly.

https://klymit.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/double-v-sleeping-pad?variant=31722979885146
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

I have the grandkids sleep up there. Never heard them complain about it and the dog and I get the thick mattress down below.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

I do this. Leave the bed open and you have 3" of extra storage space up there while driving. Especially if you don't have rear passengers you won't even notice. When you get to camp pop the top and fold it back.

x2

I found that 2" memory foam up top is <just> more than allows the board to fold back and
the top to latch, but more than enough to comfy it up for my not-quite-60-year-old bones.
I love leaving the first floor in living room mode...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
I love leaving the first floor in living room mode...

I think I agree with you on the living room mode. I also use the way back like a small pickup truck bed for gear and stuff when I'm on the road.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

^^^ Same! Very Happy

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

I leave the back empty so I can access the engine bay constantly.

Sad
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

KLYMIT Double V Sleeping Pad, 2 Person, Double Wide (47 inches)

the best air mattress for the Westy!
I have one for the top bunk and one for down below.

Stores super compact, very comfy.
I did try lugging around a memory foam mattress,
Memory foam is simply too large to store out of the way.

my luck with other cheaper inflatable mattressess is dismal.
They ALL go flat when you least want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YP8JVG5/ref=twister_B0835RQR6J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Skizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

A friend is an avid backpacker. Before a trip, he sleeps on a board at home, so he's used to it. YMMV.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed, How to make it comfy? Reply with quote

Skizer wrote:
A friend is an avid backpacker. Before a trip, he sleeps on a board at home, so he's used to it. YMMV.

some of my best nights sleep have been when backpacking. i think your friend needs a better sleeping pad or maybe a hammock...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: