Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Taking some time off and taking a trip from the Atlanta area to Myrtle Beach area for the conversions first long journey. Conversion really doing well.
Still have some throttle response tuning to do, but getting there.

Running 65-75+ mph highway speeds. 210 miles out of just over 12 gallons each fill up.

My van looks funny surrounded by all these big motor homes and fifth wheel trailers!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Wow! glad you are finally able to get it out on a proper trip and see how it runs. I have enjoyed following along with your swap and I am looking to start mine soon, which I may need some help with, hope you don't mind if I bounce some questions off you in the future.

Do you think you will be able to bump the MPG with that swap or is 17/18 mpg about its limits?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Congrats!!
How about posting an “outline” of the converversion? Wink
Specs, timeline, costs etc in outline form ?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Interesting first trip, assuming you took the full interstate route from ATL-Myrtle, that's some...spirited...traffic at times and a nerve-y choice for shakedown run- really cool stuff, silverghost.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

I can probably get some better fuel economy with additional improvements to the ECU tuning. At 4K RPM range I’ve got it set kinda rich. I don’t want to go too lean as that can cause some overheating issues.

I will compile a list of components used during the conversion some
time in the near future.

Mostly took interstate. Bypassed Atlanta and went Hwy 20 to 85. Took me over 4 hours
to get to the state line due to traffic congestion. Once in SC it was fairly easy going traffic wise.

RedVanagonGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Awesome swap! Been watching closely. Looking forward to seeing a parts list and hopefully someone starts selling the motor mounts! Just got my rebuilt transmission in from Mr gas in Colorad. Gonna look at a used Honda K24A4 tomorrow. I’ve been looking at ECU options and Haltech looks a little expensive but love that it comes with its own wiring harness. Any chance you’d share that fuel map with me Wink
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

RedVanagonGuy wrote:
Awesome swap! Been watching closely. Looking forward to seeing a parts list and hopefully someone starts selling the motor mounts! Just got my rebuilt transmission in from Mr gas in Colorad. Gonna look at a used Honda K24A4 tomorrow. I’ve been looking at ECU options and Haltech looks a little expensive but love that it comes with its own wiring harness. Any chance you’d share that fuel map with me Wink

Out of curiosity, where did you find a Haltech with a harness?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

It's good to see another conversion option get well underway.

Sodo wrote:
Congrats!!
How about posting an “outline” of the converversion? Wink
Specs, timeline, costs etc in outline form ?

Including hours spent on the wiring harness, etc. I don't think the build thread captured all the hours and sticktoitiveness required to make this work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RedVanagonGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

dublife13 wrote:
RedVanagonGuy wrote:

Out of curiosity, where did you find a Haltech with a harness?

Haltech sells a premium harness as an option with their 1500 ECU https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-150904-elite-1500/

From what I gather Haltech also has a write up on how to change the pins to work with the k series something like this https://support.haltech.com/portal/en/kb/articles/thomas-te

This is the route I’m thinking of going. Maybe someone can talk me into a megasquirt or hondata[/url]
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

Spent the day at Huntington Beach State Park, South Carolina.
It was nice to have a comfortable spot to get out of the wind. Breeze
was quite brisk at times.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Von Westy First Trip Post Conversion Reply with quote

First post-conversion trip complete! 1,018 miles in total. I’d fill up around the 210 mile range, and each fill up was between 12.0 to 12.4 gallons.

MPG suffered as I had some really “spirited” driving coming back home. I was running 75-85mph East of Columbia, SC, to the I-85/Hwy 20 exit.

One mechanical breakdown. An O-ring for the aftermarket power steering adapter failed, causing ATF/power steering fluid to leak out. Found that out making a hard left turn going into the historic district of Georgetown. $2.95 of an assortment of O-rings, a bottle of ATF, and I was back on the road. No further leaks.

So far I’m pretty happy with the results. There’s some improvements that need to be made to the ECU tuning that could help squeeze some more mpg’s, and smoother throttle response, but that’ll come. It accomplished what I needed it to. It got me there and back again, and started each time I turned the key.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: