Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Sliding door Reply with quote

What year Vanagons have the same side slider door as an 84?

I believe I read here awhile back in an unrelated topic (can't remember the topic to search it on) that mentioned a difference in door sizes for the side slider door.

I have a small dent in mine (lower left) that I cannot get to unless I have a body shop weld some rods onto it and pull it out. Perhaps buying a good slider door is cheaper, so I'm trying to find what year(s) are compatable with an 84 Vanagon.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they are all the same, except for colors. I happen to have a charcoal with silver stripe slider sitting in my garage in very good shape. It came off of a 1987 van. I have been thinking about how to get rid of it but I really don't want to ship it. Wanna pick it up???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot, it is in Milwaukee, WI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out at my local pick your part that an 85 vanagon has a different slider door handle/lock mechanism than my 82. Don't know if his helps but it's a start....

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that '80- early '85 were the same and late '85-up were the same but the two styles are not interchangeable. There was a mid-year change in 1985. I'm not sure exactly where the cut-off was so you would be safe looking for any '80-'84 door.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliding doors are different starting in 1985.

Easy to tell the difference;
Late (post 1985) sliding doors have the latch at the rear of the door. and have rubber flap on the rear of the door frame at the latch.

Early doors through 1984 have the latch on the front of the door, and also the outside door handle is longer.

They do not interchange. (without a welder).

The later doors are an improvement, easier to adjust, close easier, etc. That said the early doors work just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camo westy wrote:
The sliding doors are different starting in 1985.

Easy to tell the difference;
Late (post 1985) sliding doors have the latch at the rear of the door. and have rubber flap on the rear of the door frame at the latch.

Early doors through 1984 have the latch on the front of the door, and also the outside door handle is longer.

They do not interchange. (without a welder).

The later doors are an improvement, easier to adjust, close easier, etc. That said the early doors work just fine.

what's involved in swapping doors? i have an 83 and would love a better sliding door.
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliders look the same. The latches are totally different. I would not jump on this swap, and I am a project junkie with welding/bodywork skills.

Now the inner rails on the 85 and later vans have the Much Improved curtain hangers... there is a project worth doing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: