Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Perfect Gas Can?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Perfect Gas Can? Reply with quote

Has anyone found a functional, and by functional I mean storage space, spare gas tank? I need one for a big trip and those 5 gallon military tanks look nice, but how realistic is it for me to lay it down in the storage above the driver seat? If it started leaking.....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...ogId=10101

I did a search here and nothing came up...so, what's everyone using? Any good ideas? Bolting and welding are not options.
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something designed for a boat with an outboard engine.
Lays down flat, vents on top...

http://www.iboats.com/5_subcategories/dm/category_...e.category
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military style cans were an innovation if you where in the Afrika Corps. THey are lousy by modern standards. Normally cheap one leak, the fillers leak, the slosh gas everywhere and scratch up your paint and rack. Personally I despise them.

Modern times have made a host of plastic ones that actually fit in your luggage rack:

http://www.onlyatv.com/fuelpack.php

The other option is the Volvo gas can that fits in the inner portion of your spare tire. It is round and flat to nestle in there and give you a 4 gallon shot o gas. It is a great place to store stuff, and can hold quite a bit.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention that, because I am bringing a boat on the trip, and a 6 gallon tank for it. I was planning on mixing the gas for the 2-stroke when I get to my final destination, just in case I need gas for my van on the way down.

Problem is......I plan on using the boat, and the gas, and will need 5 gallons max to feel safe in case the gas stations are out of gas on the way back.

So you are gonna next say bring two marine tanks, which I could do I guess. I've been wanting an extra tank and maybe now is the time to do it...the spout might be a problem with a marine tank though...
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zohami has the same idea that I have used -

When I drove up to Alaska, I took my outboard motors 5 gallon gas tank. Strapped it to the top and used the tanks fuel hose with the rubber bulb pump(with the motor clip cut off) to Cyphen(sp?) fuel down to the tank filler cap with out having to remove the gas can from the rack. Worked great and it doesn't sit as flat as a Jerry can does on it's side, but beggers can't be choosers. I like the idea of the plastic outboard fuel tank, as it wont scratch the luggage rack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're pulling a boat, why not just throw as many gas cans in there as you want? Seems like a no brainer. Go get a couple five gallon plastic cans for a few bucks each if you want the peace of mind.
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not pulling a boat, it's a rolled up zodiac and I'm going way down baja with my wife and kids, so gas fumes inside are an absolute no no.

I like that kolpin fuel cannister. That is exactly why I posted.

Thanks Dogpilot!
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I forgot about those larger Kolpin fuel packs! They're great. I had two of the Jr packs mounted on my motorcycle for my trip to South America.

Will the large one fit perfectly in the luggage rack?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the iBoat and Kolpin packs look like great solutions. I agree that Kelpin might have a better solution ... w/ multiple (smaller capacity) packs, you don't have to be Superman to get the pack up on the luggage rack. I'd rather lift/stack 2-3 3gal. packs than hoist up one 9gal. pack. Plus I can imagine that it's easier to refuel w/ the smaller packs as well.

The only other idea I would suggest is if you're not towing a boat, you could add a luggage box or "grate" to your tail hitch and put your gasoline tanks there.

Last edited by rockfish on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kolpin packs are pretty nice ... I wonder if they would be willing to make custom sizes, to fit perfectly into the Westy lugage tray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
Will the large one fit perfectly in the luggage rack?

You can see the dimensions here:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4630456
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like this one more, and it still fits in the luggage rack

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=999...0805102498

I'll report back on the results in November.
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice tank...

And I sure like the idea of having an extra 4 gallons of gas, especially in areas where you can go a long time between stations, like down in Mexico in certain areas.

The only thing that concerns me just a bit, is how hardy is the cap on those things? I'd hate to have it over my head in the luggage rack, and then have the dang thing spring a leak!

-t
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I mounted on the side of my top box of my motorcycle are high quality. Though they were not mounted horizontal they did not leak even while baking in the sun. This is a problem with standard plastic Blitz gas cans, but I think that has to do with nozzle inverted in the can. This leads me to wonder though if the Kolpin is on its side will the cap seep gas while its baking in the sun? Possibly. If it stays cool they would never leak. Though how do you keep it cool while on top of your Westy? Don't know. The biggest thing I don't like Kolpin fuel packs are the price. $80 bucks is a lot for a plastic gas can.

So I am starting to lean back towards a $20-25 outboard motor tank and a fuel hose with priming bulb attached to it to cyphen fuel from the luggage rack to the vans fuel tank cap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: