Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VA VW owners - change date on title?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcurry wrote:
The next shop will most likely pass it without checking, provided you don't say anything to them about the other shop.

one small thing to avoid this very scenario in Va, the inspector is supposed to remove your current inspection decal before he even pulls the vehicle into the inspection bay. if the car doesn't pass for any reason he installs a pink(our safety inspection stickers are yellow) rejection sticker....

GEX has. Just sayin
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if my post/s contributed to the failure of this thread, I apologize.

I thought the OP's question was answered and another subject, semi-related, had come up.

I went to DMV enforcement when I had a problem getting a title for my late father's Saab 9-5. The license plate agency wouldn't issue me a title, told me to go to Alabama and get a title there, come back and they would then issue the title. DMV happened by the shop that afternoon and I talked to him about it. He called the LP agent and I drove back over, got my title and was outta there in 15 minutes.

Recently, the owner of my dealership bought two Model A replicas, Glassics, and one title was screwed up...VIN didn't match. DMV enforcement came in and verified the VIN on the car, returned to their office and investigated the problem. After two weeks, they returned and gave the owner an updated title.

My recommendation:

Verify the VIN on the car (pan and windshield) match the title and well as each other. Don't go to the vehicle license plate agent (if it works in VA as it does in NC), but go to the local DMV office...with the car. Explain the problem. Have the numbers on the car accessible where they can easily verify the VINs are correct. Have them sign off on it and call the LP office.

With that phone call and paperwork, you should be able to have it corrected.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcurry wrote:

My recommendation:

Verify the VIN on the car (pan and windshield) match the title and well as each other. Don't go to the vehicle license plate agent (if it works in VA as it does in NC), but go to the local DMV office...with the car. Explain the problem. Have the numbers on the car accessible where they can easily verify the VINs are correct. Have them sign off on it and call the LP office.

With that phone call and paperwork, you should be able to have it corrected.

I'm with JW here. verify VIN's, then go to the DMV(we don't have a separate license plate agency) and pick up required paperwork. you will need to have the vehicle inspected by a state police officer(they usually will come to you if you call and make appointment) that will sign off that the VIN numbers are matching and he will also make sure there are no reports of that VIN as stolen. once paperwork is complete and signed off you will need to return to the DMV to complete the transaction. It can't possibly hurt to have copies of chasis numbers for the production year that your vehicle falls into.

GEX has. Just sayin
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
jwcurry wrote:
Scott H wrote:

That being said, it's my opinion that minumum safety inspections should be done on any vehicle that is used on any public highways. My '72 is now exempt from all inspections in North Carolina but it should not be, IMO.

You can still have yours inspected....as DMV told me...it is elective.

But...let's face facts. Even when DMV undercover is in the building (they're easy to spot), the inspections are a joke. Basically, you have to make sure the lights operate, the wipers wipe and the brakes stop the vehicle. Doesn't even matter if the brakes are almost shot, they only have to stop the vehicle. Now, you are supposed to lift the front off the ground and check the front end, but no one wants to go through that just on speculation that you may sell something...and may not, since most people will try to get a second opinion. The next shop will most likely pass it without checking, provided you don't say anything to them about the other shop.

here in Va(as big of a scam as NOVA airhead thinks it is) the state police regulate the shops...of course there are shops where they don't check things, especially for friends...thank God for them or i'd have had to walk for many years because i hate bumpers on my bugs and i have been known to remove the decklid and not provide an alternate sourse of light to the rear plate) but the state police send in average folks with their personal cars to be inspected....this is why you may see certain shops that lose their license from time to time....
NOVA airhead made a big deal about it because he feels its a rip off and a joke.... i personally feel(since i never really stated) very similar to Scott and a few others....i think the way they do it may not be best but it will help catch the most obvious things, which is what affects me the most as i drive down the road.

In NC, DMV enforcement have more authority, technically, than the troopers.

DMV undercover works the same here in NC. DMV undercover will send in officer from out of the area or send in a retired LEO. They just are not smart about it. One pickup truck we pulled in for inspection had the windshield sticker fall off as we drove it in. That was a clue. DMV also will "rig" a car to fail as another way of spot checking. They just can't rig it in a way that it is unsafe to drive.

DMV is easy to spot if you know what to look for and if you ask, they have to tell you they are DMV.

Oh, and in NC, DMV undercover have a quota of shops to check per day. I found that out when I refused to do an inspection five minutes before closing and offered to set an appointment to have it done, the legal alternative. After a few words were exchanged, he pulled his badge, said he had to have two more shops to meet his quota and that I would do the inspection. I refused to budge from my position. He reported me, I explained to the investigator what happened...and that the undercover agent pulled his badge. Guess who got in trouble.

Ironically, I work in the guy's district now and we get along great..he is the one who straightened out the Saab problem.
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having once bought a stolen car, I can tell you, it is best to find out if there is a problem as early as possible. Finding out thirty days later, at 2am, with ten police officers surrounding your home isn't the best way.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcurry wrote:
Oh, and in NC, DMV undercover have a quota of shops to check per day. I found that out when I refused to do an inspection five minutes before closing and offered to set an appointment to have it done, the legal alternative. After a few words were exchanged, he pulled his badge, said he had to have two more shops to meet his quota and that I would do the inspection. I refused to budge from my position. He reported me, I explained to the investigator what happened...and that the undercover agent pulled his badge. Guess who got in trouble.

Ironically, I work in the guy's district now and we get along great..he is the one who straightened out the Saab problem.

Va does that little trick too..show up at closing time hoping the inspector will hurry through the inspection so they can write him for violations. a good friend of mine was locking the gate at his shop at 5pm closing time...a lady came in with a late 70's monte carlo begging for inspection...this man is known in the area for being strict and for checking everything required... he told her he couldn't do it, but gave in when she gave him a story about having to go on a trip with her children the next morning and not wanting to get a ticket...he pulled her car in and did a thorough in spection, then had his license yanked because he didn't physically pull a front wheel to check the brake pad thickness. she had crager wheels on the car and the pads were visible, but that didn't matter.... he won't do another rush inspection.

GEX has. Just sayin
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned up this thread. From now on, keep your petty sniping reserved for email or PMing.

It doesn't belong in this forum.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Fixing the date on title? Reply with quote

My 1969 was mis-titled as a 1971 when I bought it. Still able to register it as an antique, I asked the Florida DMV how much it would cost to re-title it correctly. Answer - $125 and a short trip to Melbourne, FL. Not worth my time or trouble, I went ahead and titled it as a '71. Oh well, not sure what the costs are for other states, but if they're anything similar, yours may be worth the extra cost.

Best of luck.
Fahrvergnügen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
State inspections are a waste of time. Its a way for the politicians and bureaucrats to pretend they are doing something about "automotive safety" and a make work program for mechanics. States that have no state inspection have no higher accident rates than states that do.

Requring inspections on cars in VA with antique plates defeats the purpose of the plates. Most inspectors don't keep track as to what was required for a certain year car. It will just create a lot of hassles for the owners of older vehicles

It's my understanding that there is no need of a mechanic certifying that the car meets safety requirements for it's year of manufacture. The requirement is that you provide a notarized form (below) to DMV that it meets the requirements

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/vsa10b.pdf
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the date on title? Reply with quote

Beaboy wrote:
My 1969 was mis-titled as a 1971 when I bought it. Still able to register it as an antique, I asked the Florida DMV how much it would cost to re-title it correctly. Answer - $125 and a short trip to Melbourne, FL. Not worth my time or trouble, I went ahead and titled it as a '71. Oh well, not sure what the costs are for other states, but if they're anything similar, yours may be worth the extra cost.

Best of luck.

My 69 is titled as an 81. Insurance had a slight problem because beetles weren't made (for the US) in 81. The PO said that he purchased the car 5 years ago from someone in CA who said it came from Mexico. I don't know. I just would like to straighten this out.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahrvergnügen wrote:

It's my understanding that there is no need of a mechanic certifying that the car meets safety requirements for it's year of manufacture. The requirement is that you provide a notarized form (below) to DMV that it meets the requirements

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/vsa10b.pdf

that is how it is now.(as of July). there are those that are pushing for a full yearly safety inspection for antique vehicles. that is what i stated earlier before NOVA airhead wigged out(possibly due to just not understanding). It would make the car subject to the same things all daily drivers are. ( there is a long list of requirements here: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm )

GEX has. Just sayin
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure what all the laws are that changed for the antique plates , i know they now ask you to show them the vin for your daily driver before they'll give you the black tags . inspection has never been a big deal in va tho , lights , brakes , horn , if that stuff is broken enough to fail you shouldn't be driving it anyway .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fahrvergnügen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a68veedub wrote:
inspection has never been a big deal in va tho , lights , brakes , horn , if that stuff is broken enough to fail you shouldn't be driving it anyway .

X2 on that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: