Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
ezcamper wrote:
yes, the new German production and the stainless steel reproduction caps have the 3 raised tabs.

Does this mean, the original ones can't be distinguished from the new german reproduction ones?

The new ones are painted gray on the back and probably don't have a date stamp, or at least, don't have a date stamp from back in the day! Also, assuming you're talking about the ones supplied by Mid America, they arrive bare and are "triple chromed" afterwards. So, the quality of chrome is potentially different than originals.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/chrome-hub-cap-353755-4

So, no Very Happy
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
"triple chromed"

If done properly this is the correct way: nickel against bare etched steel, copper against nickel, chrome on top.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
jjjjack wrote:
"triple chromed"

If done properly this is the correct way: nickel against bare etched steel, copper against nickel, chrome on top.

Sure, but at that point the whole NOS "chain of custody" breaks down because someone other than VW or one of its original subcontractors is involved with a significant part of the work (QC?).

I'm not saying it's bad or anything. I have a set of these and they are excellent. Just responding to the question of whether they are are identical.
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

how about a sticker

or not?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to decode the stamps? I've never seen a full set with the same numbers either.
Rob E UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Is the Grey meant to be gloss, satin or matt?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Rob E UK wrote:
Is the Grey meant to be gloss, satin or matt?

Lind posted recently his super nice original cap look glossy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting an old discussion, but all the links in this discussion have expired. I am trying to find either NOS or really nice original chrome hubcaps for my 1967 21 window deluxe microbus that we are restoring to be at a concours level. You all probably already know this, but just in case this particular bus has 14" wheels, although maybe that doesn't make a difference when it comes to the hubcaps. Everything on my bus so far is original or NOS and I am trying to keep it that way where at all possible/practical. If I knew the exact name of these types of hubcaps, I think that I might have a better chance at finding them in the classified ads as there are a myriad of hubcap styles available. I suppose also if there are "Quality German reproductions" that can't be distinguished from NOS, then those certainly would be acceptable. So my two questions are:

1) What is the proper name for the hubcap that came on the 1967 21 window deluxe microbus?

2) Are there any present day sources for these chromed hubcaps, either original, NOS, or quality German reproductions?

Thank you in advance if anyone is still tuned into or interested in this discussion.

Sincerely,

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Hubcaps can be found at wolfsburg West and I guess they are pretty good quality but big $$.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bus_brake/hub_cap.cfm

The classifieds for the split beetles through the 67 beetles might be the best source for the chrome ones as they will all fit any wide five wheel regardless of wheel size. The exception is a 67 beetle which was the first year for the flat ones. You need the dome shaped chrome ones.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...n%5B%5D=27

Unless you find NOS ones you'll likely need to rechrome the ones you do find and that will run anywhere from $100 -$150 each.

I think it is hard to discern chrome originals from the repros from a picture. It's quite easy if you can hold them and feel the weight difference, the crispness of the pressings and the nubs on the edge. Also, the little holes on the rim tend to be smaller on repros than originals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

If you’re doing a concourse level restoration, you should be able to verify everything is correct. Some stuff vendors sell may say it fits and has the right part number... but won’t be correct. You are going to have to do a lot of research and look at highly original ‘67 buses.

A parts list would be indispensable.
Quote:
1) What is the proper name for the hubcap that came on the 1967 21 window deluxe microbus?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Hubcaps can be found at wolfsburg West and I guess they are pretty good quality but big $$.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bus_brake/hub_cap.cfm

The German ones from WW are super nice and feel as heavy as originals.
I haven't weighed them against an original but did see them and felt them in person.

As easy_e posted, the formal name is "hub cap"

I see Airhead parts has an ad here and they are cheaper
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2040783
I don't know if these are the same exact caps or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Airhead is free shipping over $25 right now too. I just ordered some.
Will post some pics next to NOS when they arrive.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

I bought a set of genuine VW chrome repros (new manufacture) here in the UK. They're the ones that are painted grey on the inside described earlier in this thread.

The quality is hit and miss. I had to send the first set back as three had visible pits and pimples in the chrome. The second set I got were better, but still not defect-free.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I haven't weighed them against an original but did see them and felt them in person.

Everett,
Do you know if these have the rim tabs on them like originals?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

What's a "rim tab" on a hub cap?
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
What's a "rim tab" on a hub cap?

My word for it. Not sure what the correct term for it is. I believe they help keep the cap in place by gripping the rim lip. It is sort of hard to see on this painted cap, but they are there on original hubcaps.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Everett,
Do you know if these have the rim tabs on them like originals?

Yes, I remember they did have the little nubs on them too
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

So far the choices from a desire for originality standpoint are:

1) NOS, but none available

2) Re-chrome my dilapidated original ones for $175-$200. Quoted by the shop that is restoring, bright dipping and anodizing my Lemmerz beauty rings (which, by the way is even more than re-chroming).

3) Find really nice ones for sale, also non-existent

4) Airhead Parts for $84.50

5) Wolfsburg West Tripple Chrome version for $125
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113601151WW

From reading the earlier posts in this thread, I have understood that all need to have the three rectangular raised tabs (aka nubs, rim tabs), and the originals might have slightly larger holes for the hubcap puller. Also, they should have crisp edges around the logo, and originals may or may not have a production number stamped on the outer edge, but otherwise have no other markings or stamps to claim they are original. Unless of course they have a sticker or came in the original box, but those don't go on the bus.

Would someone looking at or judging a bus in a show really be able to tell the difference between any of the above five options?

I guess it largely depends upon how OCD you want to be about making the statement "It's all original."

Thank you!

Scott
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Hubcaps are really tough to deal with if you want anywhere near perfection. The closer you look at chrome, the more imperfections you see.

The crispness of the VW stampings depends on the usage wear of the die that pressed it. There are original caps with very crisp pressings, and ones with much softer pressings.

I have been specifically collecting hubcaps for 20 years, and I don't yet have a full perfect set of 4. I have over 250 caps, and I am willing to pay good money for nice caps, but they just don't show up very often.

The good news is that there are not really any concourse bus shows where there is any judging on such matters. Bus owners are pretty nutty, but there are not enough that are nutty in that specific direction to support any concourse judging. Also, the people who could recognize the difference between repro/rechrome/original are more likely to be ogling some original unrestored bus than inspecting flaws on a restored bus.

The bad news is that perfection is judged by the individual bus' owner who knows all the flaws in their own bus. Many people come to hate their beautiful restored buses for many reasons and then sell them. Some of these reasons have to do with imperfections that are there or the possibility of damage and normal wear and tear of driving a car.

One nice thing about hubcaps is that they come on and off quite easily, so you can go one direction and then change them out without any rework. Unless your caps are total garbage, nobody will notice anyway.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: NOS hubcaps and How to identify original hub caps Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
One nice thing about hubcaps is that they come on and off quite easily, so you can go one direction and then change them out without any rework. Unless your caps are total garbage, nobody will notice anyway.

Another thing is that the crappier hub caps will sometimes detach themselves from your VW and voluntarily depart your restoration...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: