Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 oil pressure questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta-ed wrote:
I have a rebuilt engine in my 86GL, just over 1500 miles on it and for the last 600 or so the oil buzzer comes on briefly when I am in 4th ger and slow down to about 2200 to 2500 RPM. Or if I shift early from 3rd to 4th without running 3rd all the way up to 4000 rpm. Pushing the clutch in and reving the motor a little usually shuts off the buzzer, but it will come back until the rpms rise or I shift to netrual and let the engine idle. Also if I keep the pedal down and get the RPMs up it goes away. This also happens very occasionly when slowing down in 3rd gear. This is always after the motor is warmed up, and yes I am using a Mahn filter and 20-50w oil.

I did have to replace the water pump at about 500 miles and the oil buzzer was going off all the time, but that was because the wire to the sensor had been tucked out of the way of the belts and not plugged in. My mechanic did check the oil pressure and he said it was good at 45psi.

Do I need a new sensor?

This is my scenario too, but I have 60k on a go westy 2.3. What is my first step? Ordered a OP gauge to install and am going to replace the sensors too.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

1) Check your OP with mechanical gauge. Take note of your cold OP and hot OP. You may have to idle for a good while before your motor is 180* + and can get a decently accurate warm OP measurement. Or, take it for a drive and get it up to temp to where you're getting your buzzer, then take note of mechanical gauge pressure.

2) If your OP is bad, you can try a high flow, blueprinted oil pump, installed sans paper gasket (I think GoWesty has a write-up). You can also try shimming your OP relief spring slightly (search for threads).

2.5) If your OP is good, you've got a wiring issue. Potentially/probably bad/dirty grounds. Check/clean all of your grounds.

3) Your motor may have been assembled with poor clearances and just has bad OP. In this case, you need to rebuild or contact the rebuilder to talk about warranty.

Step 1 is to verify with a mechanical gauge what your OP actually is at all normal operating temperatures.
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

So not a happy day today. Shifted to a synthetic 40w oil and my oil warning buzzers starting going crazy between 2200-2800 rpm's. I shifted back to a general 50w and didnt help out much. I finished installing my oil pressure gauge today and gave her a drive. My pressure started out well until i reached operating temps. Then it wouldnt go above 20psi. This motor is a GW with 70k on it. Am I in denial if I think its just the oil pump? Should I try replacing the relief spring? Im looking for a glimmer of hope. Thoughts?

oil pressure at idle: 3-4 psi oil light flickers
3500 rpm: 20psi

91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

I see now this is the same engine that is using oil (another thread....it would probably be best to keep this to one thread somehow). Either the engine has far more miles on it than advertised or it was run out of oil as was was suggested in the other thread. I don't thing throwing an oil pump at it will do much good. What kind of documentation do you have for this engine?
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

yep...this thread is more suiting, thats why I am sticking with this one. As far as documentation. I have the motor receipts and maintenance done since the engine install. I bought if off the second owner who owned it for 20+ years. He was an engineer and maintained the vehicle well. I will try a new pressure spring and see what it does. Guess Im accepting denial....lol

91 SYNCRO
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

Get the new spring and compare the relaxed length to the new one. If the new spring is a little longer, then the new one should help. You can shim it about 1.5 mm with a 1/4" washer too. Easy to try.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

This might be something to look at if your engine was recently rebuilt/sealed. Was the oil pump cover re-sealed?, if so what was the gasket thickness for the oil pump cover?

When I re-sealed mine, the Victor Reinz gasket kit came with a gasket that was 0.014" thick instead of 0.004" thick and I didn't notice it. (First time working on a WBX) Once the engine was warm/hot, the oil pressure light came on at idle. Since in my situation, it was only a re-seal, I realized this issue, must have to do with what I had changed. I pulled the pump cover to find the gasket that was too thick. I then measured the pump gears to the cover plate and found I had the clearance to run without the gasket. I have had no problems since.

I know, bad practice on my part to not check and double check, but I also have never found a gasket that was too thick before.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

So my 2.1 DJ runs perfectly. I've noticed that when you turn the key on the light just flashes on for a split second. It does not stay on with key on and then off once started.
My take is there is something wrong. Shouldn't the light stay on until started? if yes, where should I look?
Any and all comments appreciated.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

Yes, with the key on but engine not running the light should be blinking forever.
The most likely cause is the wiring for the low pressure switch up between the left side pushrods.
A brown wire comes from each of the 2 oil pressure switches.
These 2 brown wires go to a 2 pin connector usually found near the thermostat housing.
That connector is subject to getting corroded contacts and/or damage to the wires so inspect this.
At that 2 pin connector the wires change color and the low pressure switch wire becomes blue/black. That blue/black next goes inside the engine compartment wiring box, to one of the two round pin connectors. That is another place where the problem could be.

Mark
me4ou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 oil pressure questions Reply with quote

You might find this video useful. I started using 10W40 since I struggled a lot with low oil pressure while using 10W40. I guess it might not be well suited for colder climates, but for me it works perfect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl477GxEXFs
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
In those cases the problem isn't the warning system, it's the worn out oil pump, weak relief spring, loosening rod bearings and excessive crankshaft endplay that indicate that the engine is in need of an overhaul..

Thank you for this information. What would you considered excessive crankshaft endplay for a 2.1L with ~ 60K miles?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: