Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In the flesh! (Geekout warning)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: In the flesh! (Geekout warning) Reply with quote

I saw an actual GoWesty Westy yesterday on my way home. Full camper, Rhino-lined rocker panels, GW steel bumpers, 16" GW wheels. It had the temporary plates on, looked brand new, really pretty.
Oh yeah, this was on I-15 S.B. in Draper UT.
</vanageekout>

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
pjackman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are "Rhino-lined rocker panels"? Is that their "black-out treatment"? Is this how to beat lower seam rust?
droogvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to give mine the same rhino-liner treatment this winter. I'm going to pull the kitchen and insulation first to address any issues there before I seal off any lurking water within. I've also got to order new inner door step replacement metal from OEveedub and get those welded in and sealed up. I'm not sure on the bumpers yet. If gowesty ever "engineers" a spare tire carrier that may be an option. I'm thinking of also coating inside and outside of my battery trays. I think some of these bedliners are pretty resistant to battery acid. Has anyone looked at the red syncro westy on gowesty's vehicles for sale page? Expensive but sick! I'm too computer illiterate to post the link, maybe someone else can step in here?
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this one??

http://www.gowesty.com/vehicle_details.php?id=883

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one beautiful van, man! Expensive but, we've come to expect that from GW. I'm sure it's worth it to the right person. Heck, if I was one of those people who doesn't bat an eye at dropping a grand for a hotel suite or feel faint at the thought of eating dinner in a 200-buck-a-plate 4 star restaurant, I'd probably buy it. Gotta love that red paint job.
'96 BMW R1100GS
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry... but man... that van makes jesus cry.

Perhaps he cries because it is so beautiful... but more likely he is crying because it is just so REDicioulous. (pun intended.)

I like my rusty maroon syncro with hackjob feels-like-a-westy-to-me accoutrements.

$60k is just plain stupid for any kind of vehicle - unless it has wings. (which, btw, is my next project Smile )

~jake
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhino Liner or Raptor Liner.

Heculiner too.

All Painable bead liners that in fact work. Used Raptor liner on the interior and exterior (undercarriage). Bear in mind Humidity and temp. when doing this treatment.

It works Only if the paint is prepped properly. Will flake off if not scuffed with 400 grit sanding.

For even a more robust barrier to stave off rust, Paintable sound deadener then the Liner. My thought process was ( especially in the wheel wells) create a "pillow" to take the flying debris the tires, etc. kick up. Under the "pillow" is Chassis saver then POR-15. A Barrier system.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuuuhhhh....it ain't Rhino Lining. I was there at GoWesty last November when I saw a beautiful beige Vanagon from Colorado that they "restored". I saw that rubberized coating....and dreamed of doing it to mine. So I asked the service manager (can't remember his name but he was short and had a beard) if that was Rhino Lining on the beauty and he said, "Nope". He said that GoWesty had thought about using the liner but was concerned it was too thick and would create a water trap. So they went with something thinner. He wasn't sharing much and I left it at that. So whatever it is, I don't think it is Rhino Lining unless he was a tryin' ta trick me.
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:
I don't think it is Rhino Lining unless he was a tryin' ta trick me.

Hmm.... I mean, it all sounds rational to me...

I am admittedly a little jaded with regards to GW... I made a special trip there, in person, on a weekday about 6 months ago, and was summarily taken to the cleaners.

As one small example: I needed a carpet replacement kit (along with about $2k of other things)... and my van was in their parking lot. 7 passenger syncro. I said "look - that's the handsome van right there that needs new carpet, how can I give you my money?" - and the manager said "great, here's what you need". (editorial liberty taken)

24 hours, and 500 miles later I discovered it was actually a westy carpet kit I was sold. (the example list is long, and yes, I am still bitter.)

I digress. sorry about that. I need a beer.

~jake
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been restoring my 89 Westy for the last six months ... I've got a friend who has a GoWesty ... Westy ... it is gorgeous. And no, he did not pay anywhere near $60K.

Having access to my friend's Westy, I've been able to somewhat duplicate some of the upgrades that GoWesty offers --- including the "black out" treatment. So that people understand, GoWesty can do two different things:
- undercoat the under side of your Westy
- apply bedliner to the bottom portion of your exterior

I did the bedliner application - all the way around, including the front and back from the bumper line down. I went to the local Line-X shop (San Jose, CA) and they did the job for $500. The only difference between what my shop did and what GoWesty does is that GoWesty will also "line" the footwells and the "step up to look into the luggage rack" area of the wheel wells. I'm not sure what GoWesty charges for the exterior treatment, but my impression is that they charge way more than $500.

If you're on a tight budget, then I suppose you can do the Rhino route. However, one of the big advantages of the Line-X application is that it is a guaranteed application (they heat the chemicals to 180F as they spray onto your vehicle). They are professionals and they can get the job done in one day.

I also had my Westy painted (after body work, etc.). If you're going to paint or body-shop your Westy, get the body work done first (including sanding, primer, etc.) ... but don't paint! Do the Line-X job before painting, then do the paint. The Line-X guys do not want to apply their product to new paint (over old paint) - just in case the paint is not perfect and ends up peeling.

I've been procrastinating about posting pictures ... I hope to get to it sometime next week.
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=845

"Below are photos of an ‘86 Westy. It has been fitted with a set of GoWesty 1/8” plate steel bumpers, powder coated in a wrinkle finish satin black. This vehicle also has our GoWesty “pre-runner” black-out truck bed-liner type texture coating applied all around the lower body and inside the front door thresholds. There are some subtle details to notice that we have arrived at by trial and error........"

Full description at the link above.

As for the cost:
Quote:
The black-out costs $995 and takes a couple of days to do. On top of that is a couple of hours labor to remove the old bumpers, get it over to the texture coating people, get it back, and install the new bumpers.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Raggamuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily trade a testicle for the red Syncro Westy...HAPPILY! Wink
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if ya wanna talk paint job, here's another tidbit from GoWesty:

Quote:
We get this question all the time: How is it possible that there are companies out there (you know the usual suspects) that advertise "Complete paint jobs for just $999," yet to have one done at GoWesty costs between $8,000 and $12,000? I guess the best sayings I can think of that put this all into perspective are, "There is no free lunch," followed quickly by, "You get what you pay for." If any business claims they can paint any vehicle for that sort of money, it is just BS, plain and simple. In fact, OUR COST for the MATERIALS ALONE for a paint job is over $2500 and rising...

Here again is an area (like the cost of the vehicles we sell) where it would appear GoWesty is cutting a fat hog. An average of $10,000 dollars for a "paint job" does seem ridiculous. But that is not what we are doing. What we are doing, and what the average person EXPECTS when they go in for a "paint job," is this: a complete exterior restoration. The "paint job" itself is just one part of the process, albeit an important one.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The rest of the story:
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=872
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!!! I just looked at the very Syncro this topic is about. No wonder people are talking about trading body parts. It's gorgeous! Cool
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing about the "red syncro" is that even though the guy paid 80k for it, GoWesty DIDN'T paint the interior. It's still the original grey. So for a 10k to 12k paint job, GoWesty is NOT touching the interior? Unbelievable...
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but you might have missed the red seatbelts.

They offset the lack of an actual proper different-color paintjob, don't they?

...to the cleaners...
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is nice. If you want, anybody can make theirs like that. Just add money and testicles.

Personally, I like restoring mine, it is one of the fun parts. Mine is going for new paint in a month or so. Just as soon as Texas cools off a bit. My old paint shop manager, who now reps a paint company, has set up a small side-line custom shop. So he has offered to do the little body touch up and paint, with real paint, after we have disassembled the van. Much better deal in Georgia, without the material restrictions the pervade the west.

You know, I may have Beltmasters re-do my seatbelts in red while I'm out there, they are in Griffin. They owe me. Maybe I'll go for the gold plating on the hardware too.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
.......You know, I may have Beltmasters re-do my seatbelts in red while I'm out there, they are in Griffin. They owe me. Maybe I'll go for the gold plating on the hardware too.

Yikes! Say it an't so Dogpilot! Maybe the red seatbelts, but gold plating?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark, did the thing have Utah temporary stickers? I'm curious whether it's a local purchase or just passing through. It would be interesting to see it up close and drool on the carpet, but definitely too rich for my budget. Besides, I'm with DogPilot: it's nice to have a vehicle to tinker with an get it all dialed in rather than plunking down a 2nd mortgage on somebody else's work. To each his or her own, though; it's great that GoWesty is providing that service for folks that want to go that route.

One detail that bugs me, though, is the fact that they replaced the front seat belts with red webbing and left the back stock black. I know it's a small thing, but I would have wanted to be consistent if I were inclined to go red on the belts at all. More likely I would have stuck with black.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be amazed how many 'shoe shiners' we have, that when they do their seatbelts opt for gold plated fittings. In fact I'm going to get right on it when I finish building this computer for the van:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: