Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more crappy linkages!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: No more crappy linkages! Reply with quote

Finally went ahead and purchased the CSP Bellcrank linkage for my 44IDF's.

The CB Performance hex bar linkage has pissed me off for the last time. It worked great for the first year or so but is now starting to wear very quickly. So much so that the carbs cannot be synchronized to open at the same time. The right carb leads the left by about 500rpms. There isn't enough adjustment to remedy it. The left carb is "sticky" about 40% of the time on decelleration....when the engine is warmed. Overall it's very sloppy. Low RPM driving is done on the right side of the engine. Laughing

Can't wait to get the CSP installed and be done with these issues!

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

pikeman48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought CSP linkage for my Kads.The quality and design was worth the cash!!! Cool
sand rail-stripped and scrapped
1968 Empi Sportster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeeaaat. Confused I just bought the CB linkage. Just my luck.
Paul Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the CB hex kit for years. I replace the ball studs every couple of years with no other problems. I must have an early unit. (with the steel hex shaft)
Paul
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Rag wrote:
Greeeaaat. Confused I just bought the CB linkage. Just my luck.

When it works, it works great. I could "make" mine work again, but it's not worth the effort. It's hit and miss with how fast they wear....from what I've heard.

Previous:

57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Wilson wrote:
I have used the CB hex kit for years. I replace the ball studs every couple of years with no other problems. I must have an early unit. (with the steel hex shaft)
Paul

That's it? Just the ball studs? I can deal with that I guess.
Michael Fischer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to grease the ball studs everyonce in awhile. Amsoil grease is the best. Expect to replace those and the hexbar every so often.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the same CB linkage with same ball ends since 1987 on one of my engines, and many others for that matter. Yes the ends are worn now but the system has never been a problem. It's all in the set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the CB linkage kit, the crossbar I got is steel...I like it..I had the CSP also, had to run the extra spring on the bell crank, still wasn't enough had to run another off one of the carbs..also the accel cable was too long also
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I'm having with my CB linkage, is that extension rod on the left carb. Because the linkage is attached directly to the right carb, the carb begins to open as soon and you push the hex bar. The left carb however, flexes that extension since it stands off of the throttle arm. I can't get it to work completely right, i just ordered the push/pull style today. It's fine when you are cruising around, but mines so bad that when you floor it, the right carb snaps open, and the left carb lags seriously behind. When I try and start out from a stop I have to rev it up to get the carbs to run semi-even and be able to start off. not cool for around town, light to light. It is a good quality linakge though, I have the full set with the filter bases and those things are THICK!!!
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
The problem I'm having with my CB linkage, is that extension rod on the left carb. Because the linkage is attached directly to the right carb, the carb begins to open as soon and you push the hex bar. The left carb however, flexes that extension since it stands off of the throttle arm.

That's EXACTLY what mine is doing.

Quote:
It's fine when you are cruising around, but mines so bad that when you floor it, the right carb snaps open, and the left carb lags seriously behind. When I try and start out from a stop I have to rev it up to get the carbs to run semi-even and be able to start off.

Hey me too. Like I said, till 1500rpms is all the right carb action. Laughing

Previous:

66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so much of it is in the geometry. It has to be exact. Linkage on both sides need to be the same. The levers on the throttle have to be the same length. One or two degrees off on the linkage rods has a huge effect
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
The problem I'm having with my CB linkage, is that extension rod on the left carb. Because the linkage is attached directly to the right carb, the carb begins to open as soon and you push the hex bar. The left carb however, flexes that extension since it stands off of the throttle arm. I can't get it to work completely right, i just ordered the push/pull style today. It's fine when you are cruising around, but mines so bad that when you floor it, the right carb snaps open, and the left carb lags seriously behind. When I try and start out from a stop I have to rev it up to get the carbs to run semi-even and be able to start off. not cool for around town, light to light. It is a good quality linakge though, I have the full set with the filter bases and those things are THICK!!!

To make the linkage work, try the following; First you need to synch the idle on both carbs, do this with the linkage disconnected. Second adjust the ball screws so that there is zero play in the hex bar from side to side with the engine cold, not tight just zero. Third attach the linkage to the carbs, and slide the arms on the hex bar side to side so that the link adjusting bars that connect to the carbs sit vertical, should one carb be a little off from full open to closed slide the arm on the hex bar slightly left to right to find the "sweet spot". Forth screw in or out both of the link bars so that the arms on the hex linkage bar are just up from being flat about 10* up leaving a small amount of thread for adjustment. Fifth pushing on the throttle cable arm in the same way as the cable pulls on it, adjust (turn) only one link bar so that both carbs open at exactly the same time, you need to duplicate how the throttle cable will actuate this as closely as possible, very important.
Now any idle adjustments you make in the future to one carb you do the same to the other and your linkage will stay in synch for a long time. Also you need to use a heavy bearing grease on the ball screws, and anti-seize on the threads of the link bars.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After two months..

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/linkage.wmv

Replaced the hexbar with a harder piece and that helped. Then I got tired of constantly fussing with it after the downrod joints and other parts started to slop.. went to CSP and never looked back.
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
After two months..
http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/linkage.wmv

You don't want to even see mine. Laughing

Quote:
so much of it is in the geometry. It has to be exact. Linkage on both sides need to be the same. The levers on the throttle have to be the same length. One or two degrees off on the linkage rods has a huge effect

I had mine perfectly synched and geometry was good. I haven't touched them since (8-10months) and it's all gone to hell. There isn't enough adjustment anymore on the downrods to compensate for the slop.

Previous:

lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running CSP linkage on 3 VW's and I won't use anything else. It's extremely smooth, easy to setup and it doesn't go out of adjustment. 5 seasons in a sandrail and I have never had to touch the linkage.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M. wrote:
You don't want to even see mine.

Well, remember mine was after 2 months of driving the shit out of the car. I can synch linkage, it's no mystery to me, I know all about geometry, greasing the joints, etc. The crossbar they use on these kits (at least the "newer" ones compared to that which some have mentioned) isn't very good material and grooves out pretty quick. I think the folks that have run it for years oughta give us a little video like the one I did, to see what theirs does. If theirs are tight, I'd call it a materials issue. I do know that when I changed to harder hex bar steel, it stopped. I used stainless, which has a pretty good resistance to wear and machining for that matter. After that it didn't wear anything like the original bar. I also know that the hole drilled was not sloppy to start with - I had it drilled for basically zero clearance. Point loading is a bitch.
RockNbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
Then I got tired of constantly fussing with it after the downrod joints and other parts started to slop.. went to CSP and never looked back.

I agree with Mark, the CSP solved the linkage problems that I had. However, I did change the CSP over to Heim joints before I install it, just to be on the pro-active side.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you guys using for the return spring action? I fabbed up a lever that bolted to rear of one carb's throttle shaft(out of eyesight) with a spring. Any other ideas? Does the little "clock type spring" they sell work?

Anyone have a direct link to buy the csp linkage. The last CSP linkage I bought from Art Tharen, the IDA god, just because he happened to have it.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i modified my centerpull linkage to work with two stock beetle carb springs. They are pretty strong and can be obtained easily...

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: