Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safares......where are they?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jovialj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: the blue meanie Reply with quote

um, s'more pics of the meanie, i luv her, we got such a great deal!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i guess i gotta take more pics, silly digital cameras are battery anihilators! im not sure about the rail there, ill have to confer with the hubby...
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daylan wrote:
Kirk wrote:
daylan wrote:
I just bought one. In great shape. Would like to know where to get top parts for it. 1970 bus converted in 1975

You just bought a Riviera, not a Safari. Still cool though.

I'am sorry to tell you this but if you look just above and behind the right wheel opening you will see the Safare' manufacturers plaque Rolling Eyes

Maybe there is a tag, like you said, it was converted in '75. So prior to that, it had a Safari top? Are you wanting parts for that Riviera top, or parts to convert it back when you ask for help to find "top parts for it"?

Mayhap I misunderstood your question. Still, nice bus.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
98XJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Logo Reply with quote

Jovialj is there any way you could take a close up picture of the Safare' logo in the center of the passenger door? Does it seem to be original paint on the logo? After some recent buffing I discovered what is left of the logos on mine, and I am looking to repaint them. This would be much appreciated. Thanks.
racecar67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kirk"][quote="daylan"]
Kirk wrote:
daylan wrote:
I just bought one. In great shape. Would like to know where to get top parts for it. 1970 bus converted in 1975

Maybe there is a tag, like you said, it was converted in '75. So prior to that, it had a Safari top? Are you wanting parts for that Riviera top, or parts to convert it back when you ask for help to find "top parts for it"?

Mayhap I misunderstood your question. Still, nice bus.

No The top is in great shape. IJust would like to know where I could find the canvas when the time comes
, . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
Philippians 4:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jovialj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Safare 73 Reply with quote

the decal on both front doors of the van

is that the one?
98XJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Logo Reply with quote

Thats the one, I really appreciate that, I've been looking for a good picture of that everywhere. Thanks again!
jovialj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: safare plate Reply with quote

heres the pic of our plate

and heres some interior

sorry, i have a crappy camera and i wont be able to take a better picture of the plate or the decal
racecar67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose I could get some pictures of the rear shelf area from one of you guys. I have the cover But I have no idea how it should look. I know I am missing some parts. Oh and buy the way never trust the punk at the tire store to move your bus. Mine now has to be towed to my local VW shop to have the shifter fixed. Idiot did not know where reverse was so he tried to force it into a gear that did not exist. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweetybird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: 76 Safare' Reply with quote

I just bought a 76 Safare' in Los Angeles and drove it back to Atlanta. I had a couple of minor breakdowns on the way back. It was fun driving at 60 mph and taking my time. I'll have to gut this one since the wood is all original and has dry rotted in many places. I hope to use this site to get some ideas for the interior. One question. Do all Safare' models only come with a 15 gallon gas tank?[/url]
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Safares....where are they? Reply with quote

tweetybird-

Safare Custom Campers modified VW buses by installing a hitop or poptop, fresh & grey water tanks, and camper interior. I don't believe they, or any other camper maker, modified the VW's fuel storage capacity.

Please post good photo coverage of your Safare and its features as it is now for the record. Good, full frame, clean with no reflections photos of a Safare decal and the manufacturer's tag are good too.

For fuel tank capacity, click on the following (at top of page): Technical, Manuals, Type 2, 1976 Owner's Manual, (find page 64).

Welcome to the club. Roll on.

'73 Safare poptop

A society is as lax as its language.

Last edited by Buscuss on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jovino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Safare Trip Reply with quote

15 gallons sounds about rightI'm planning trip myself in my Safare from San Diego to Florida. I'll be eventually gutting mine when it gets to Florida. There are lots of options out there. Send some pics of you're Safare, we'd love to see them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buscuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Safares....where are they? Reply with quote

jovino-

We'd love to see pics of your refurbed Safare.

'73 Safare poptop

A society is as lax as its language.
tweetybird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: 76 Safare' Reply with quote

Still working on getting pics to this site. My bus looks a lot like jovino's bus. A word of advice is your driving yours cross country the wind will beat you like there is no tommorrow. I also did a little homework before I left and had the name and number of a couple of VW shops in case I broke down. I haven't had a lot of time to search this site, but is there a place on here that gives good or bad feedback on bug shops in your area? I had a guy stop by today and ask me to join a local vw club. I understand the safare' is a little bit rare on the east as compared to the west coast.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Safare 73 Reply with quote

jovialj wrote:
the decal on both front doors of the van

is that the one?

That is cool - I've never seen that before. Where is it on the bus? I'm talking to a guy about getting a Safare, if I can work out something with the diesel Rabbit... I've always loved the interior. fingers crossed...
White99z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is someone near me that is selling what looks to be an interior from the safare camper (cabinets only I think). If anyone is interested, I can try to get you into contact with the owner. PM me!

Jeremy
racecar67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the requested pictures

Hope this helps.
98XJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Refrigerator/Stove unit Reply with quote

My Safare' was missing the refrigerator/stove unit behind the pass. seat. I recently began work restoring all my OG ratty safare' panels to original specs and I need the measurements to build a new unit to hold the refrig. and stove. Can someone measure the height, width, depth, the pull out drawer and the shape of the counter top on it? Or if anyone has a complete (doesn't have to be nice) unit they will sell minus the refrigerator as I have one. This would be much appreciated. Thanks.
tweetybird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: stove cabinet Reply with quote

98XJ

I'm in Atlanta, GA and have my interior (which I'm about to restore) and you can come look at mine and get measurments. However I do not have a pull out drawer, but I'm sure it's not hard to put one in.
98XJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: tweetybird Reply with quote

Cool, I live in Gainesville, where are you around Atlanta? My Safare' should be back on the road in about a week as I just finished freshining up the engine and tranny so maybe I'll send you a pm when I get closer and we can meet up. Thanks, Andrew
PopeSutek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few in town here... one is owned by a guy who doesnt even know how to change his fuel filter and will never work on it... It's rotting away and getting chopped for nothing.

old DKP driver wrote:

Suck,Squeeze,Bang,Blow.. No Blow=No Go. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: