Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safares......where are they?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Just bought this absolute pile today. The best bus I could afford. Hahaha. Just finished my 1969 Beetle Cal Look restoration/customization, so I needed a new project. This nugget is a 74. Absolutely gutted and abused, but pretty good bones except for the horrorshow of the front end. (A friend of the previous owner was trying to do a Subaru conversion with the radiator upfront and failed miserably.)

My plan was always to make it into a little camper for me and my wife after the kids move out in a few years, but after I bought it I noticed the Safare Custom Camper plate, which led me to this thread on the Samba. It was meant to be!

My model looks like the base level Travelounge, no pop top or hi top. Right now it has a weird moon roof that I’ll probably keep. I’m sure some of you think I’m nuts for even starting this project, but I take a lot of joy in getting beat up a old crap back to being used and appreciated. Did the same for my Willys and Bug.

I figure it will take me a year to 18 months to finish this up and get it back out on the road. I want the interior to be excellent, but the exterior to remain worn out and faded, except for necessary rust repairs.

Thanks to all who have posted into this discussion, especially the uploaded manuals. Very cool and helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Beetle, 1776cc, manual conversion (done by PO), Bosch 034 SVDA, 34Pict-3, 2.5" drop spindles w/disc brakes, DIY 4” narrowed beam w/Airkewld adjusters, 205/65R15 out back and 175/55R15 up front on EMPI GT-8s.

1974 Kombi Safare Custom Camper NUGGET that needs everything

My YouTube build videos: School St. Garage.

Sold with sadness:
'73 VW Bug
'79 VW Bus

Sold with joy:
'99 VW Beetle TDI (all I miss are the mpgs)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Sweet bus! I was watching that one when it was on eBay and was wondering if it would make it's way here. I love my Safare and I'm sure you'll have a great time with that one!
Doodoob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Here is my 1974 Safare. I bought in September 2020. Recently the Type IV motor died and I am planning to do a Type 1 Conversion as I am more comfortable with them. I have been working through all of the issues I have discovered as it was purchased via eBay. It is a solib Bus but I have a long road ahead to get it to where I want it to be.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

First Post on this thread, so happy to see that the safare is still going strong!
I bought my first bus last year, and found out it was a Safare/Wild Westerner. All the interior was rotten and falling apart and the cushions smelled like a dead rat... So I decided to do a full resto! Brought her back to the OG colours and now I'm about to re-install all the new interior wood parts, as in the OG safare. Still under process but hopefully done soon 🍾 Btw I still miss to do the blue wild westerner stripe.

Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

I am getting rid of what looks like a somewhat original Safare' top cabinet cover. I say somewhat original because it seems holes were cut into it to add the concept speakers. I'll be adding this to the classifieds but figured since this is the Safare' group someone here might want it. I have no clue what it's worth and I also don't really know what to call it...

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Safare's....Where are they? Reply with quote

Buscuss wrote:
GetPsycho-
Jonyem has it right. The company is Safare Custom Campers, with an accent grave over the e in Safare.
Looks to me from the badges people have posted that it is an accent aigu (é), not grave (è). As in "Safaré" (pronounced sa-fa-RAY)

These are cool!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugfresh wrote:
I think I had posted this bus prior, but noticed recently its been tarped over and now out from under its tarp. This is Not my bus.

This bus has exchanged hands. It was owned by ryyanking previously and as of the middle of May it is now mine and my wife's project! My signature has the build currently going on with this bus.

Question for original Safare owners though! I would like to bring this back to a similar set-up as original with the 2 bench seats and table in the middle. How wide are the original seats? I am thinking about making them 28-29" wide but figured I'd see what they were originally. Trying to fit 2 butts per bench and would like to make it as wide as possible without blocking the entry.
Ffdfrontman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

I got really lucky today and bought a 71 safare for 500usd. Need’s some love but it’s solid, no major rust that can’t be easily cured. Located in Texas.

jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

can anyone post a picture with a ruler showing the size of the Safare camper tag by the sliding door?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Hard to say on the plate. Know more tomorrow when it gets here. Has a lp gas tag next to it and a state of CA housing badge of some sort. Super super dry bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Hard to say on the plate. Know more tomorrow when it gets here. Has a lp gas tag next to it and a state of CA housing badge of some sort. Super super dry bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Looks like there will be a whole lotta cool left behind once you clean out the funk, nice!

I wonder if the plate had some weak graphics on it at one time and it has faded?, or was it always just a blank chunk of metal with the required stuff stamped into it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

I bought this bad boy today. Badge is different than most. Bus is a march 1970.

scfwb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Thanks - But that was all I could find too and not all dimensions are there - I will have to print and scale them - From this photo of an adventure wagon - it looks like top will have to be shortened by 3-6 inches??? - see cut at rear of tray...Trouble is I have a Safare top without the tray..

Pics Shown from Classiccult OCTO 2017 - Anybody know the owner???

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

scfwb wrote:
Anybody try to fit a Safare fiberglass top to a Split Bus?

Here are the roof dimensions.

scfwb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

Anybody try to fit a Safare fiberglass top to a Split Bus?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

barking wrote:
is this a safari ??

Yeah, yeah... I know this is an old posting, but it was never answered.
The cooler unit just inside the slider is exactly like the one in my Riviera. So is this a High Top Riviera? I couldn't zoom in far enough on the door stickers to read them.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

I love that diner booth setup in the Safare, they look like Fonzy's just about to arrive.
Dpugle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Safares......where are they? Reply with quote

So here's mine!
I think it's a safare but the body says sundial custom camper and the top says spirit camper
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racecar67 wrote:
Here are the requested pictures

Hope this helps.

Digging up an old thread. Seems like the bus pictured above might have been on the assembly line at the same time as the bus we just pulled out of the woods.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: