Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cut and turn beam
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Cut and turn beam Reply with quote

Fellas,
I read through the official lowering thread and couldn't find my answer I needed.
I want to lower my bay by cutting and turning the beam. Anyone know how much people are turning the beam before welding it back together?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut and turn beam Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Fellas,
I read through the official lowering thread and couldn't find my answer I needed.
I want to lower my bay by cutting and turning the beam. Anyone know how much people are turning the beam before welding it back together?

How much do you want to lower?
Work out the change in angle for the suspension arms to achieve that change in height at the end of the arms. Rotate the cut part by that amount.

Or for a similar amount of cutting and welding fit adjusters then you can change your mind .

I am waiting for my front beam to rot out so I have to replace it, as it is cut and twisted too far.. lowering 4 inches so the wheels rubbed on almost any bumps.

Had to buy coilover shocks to partly lift it again and stiffen the suspension as you have to lose the bump stops with cut and twist.
I have also lost the sway bar after I broke it on lumpy UK and Irish countryside road pavement.. I did not refit it, as even when flipped over it still clanged its way through towns and countryside. The doubled front spring stiffness with coilovers means it is not as big a loss as you might imagine.

And it is cracking ( now repaired) the sides of the horns between the torsion tubes where corrosion has thinned it. Still passes the annual UK safety MOT inspection.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut and turn beam Reply with quote

Just looking to go a few inches lower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cut and turn beam Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Fellas,

So, you apparently know how to weld or have access to someone that does, and you can't possibly afford the $125 adjusters so the thing can be moved back to proper height when an adult owns it next?

Is there anything more tired than the LA Ghetto lowered look?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cut and turn beam Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
afford the $125 adjusters so the thing can be moved back to proper height

Adjusters are a better idea. If you cut, turn and reweld you will be stuck with what ever height you get. You can fine tune the adjusters to get the right stance you are looking for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: