Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The vintage accessory you would most like to see reproduced
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
50stuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: The vintage accessory you would most like to see reproduced Reply with quote

Since I have a few connections in manufacturing in and out of the USA, and could reproduce an item, I am curious to know from you, the Samba membership what ONE item that you would like to see reproduced that isn't currently being made or offered?

Please stick to accessories if possible.
If you have a picture or actually own the item that would be great.

And to all of you who don't like reproductions and are die-hard sticklers for the original item, I wholeheartedly agree with your argument. But please remember that some items today are so scarce that only the lucky few and the wealthy are able to afford and possess them.

AND in my career, I have always tried to champion the average working Joe, who I consider the backbone of any culture. Without him any hobby like this would be left to the rich upper classes.

Plus if it were not for reproductions, you yourselves wouldn't be here on earth, right?

Thanks DAD, for having a big back seat in your 46 Packard.....haha

CH
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE..............

"And to all of you who don't like reproductions and are die-hard sticklers for the original item, I wholeheartedly agree with your argument. But please remember that some items today are so scarce that only the lucky few and the wealthy are able to afford and possess them."

Good, so who care if the wealty and the lucky few can afford them. You have to pay to play. If it's not real, than why do you want it. Not much fun when everyother car looks the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven wood wrote:
NONE..............

"And to all of you who don't like reproductions and are die-hard sticklers for the original item, I wholeheartedly agree with your argument. But please remember that some items today are so scarce that only the lucky few and the wealthy are able to afford and possess them."

Good, so who care if the wealty and the lucky few can afford them. You have to pay to play. If it's not real, than why do you want it. Not much fun when everyother car looks the same.

AMEN !

"NONE"

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier

Last edited by Richard Roth on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50stuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
steven wood wrote:
NONE..............

While I respect your opinion, I have to say that without reproduction parts, there would be a whole hell of a lot of VWs that never would have been restored at all!!! And when it comes to accessories, there are so many out there that it is ludicrous to think all that everyother car would look the same. Without accessories and displays everyother car at a show would look the same, but don't forget that hobbies like this are all about individuality and most of all having FUN. I can speak about this because I have paticipated in more than 200 car shows in my life and I never saw two cars that were alike

CH
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlene dietrich maybe ? Idea
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only owned three Beetles but the one problem I've had consistently is finding the correct radio for my model. Whenever I look on the classifieds for the correct one it seems I can only find something that is not guaranteed to work, or a restored radio that costs a fortune.

It might be sacrilege to a purist, but I don't think it would be impossible to produce a reproduction radio using basic imported (read Chinese) components for the guts, and different faceplates / knobs combinations to match most of the types of radios that were typically installed in VW's. If you can't afford $300 or more for a restored correct radio, maybe you could afford $75 for a reproduction that looks decent.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.....
veewee25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure that there are a few small items we all would like reproduced.
These guys are just worried that the parts that they way over paid for will drop in value. Sad thing is that most of these oh so rare accesories were just cheesy J.C. Whitney type items in thier day.

The one thing that everyone needs to understand is that the VW hobby is eventually going to be just like the Street Rodding hobby. It wouldnt exist without reproduced parts!!

Some of the "Fake" '32 Fords are bringing much more money than any restored original version could ever bring.

As this hobby becomes more of a rich mans sport it is only going to get worse.

And for anyone who wants to argue that this isnt becomeing a rich mans game, Please think back to the 80'-90's when you could buy beetles all day long for 100-500 dollars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univents. They help the ventilation tremendously, are totally functional, and aren't some useless piece of tinsel. Plus nobody will give a fig whether they're gennies or not.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven wood wrote:
NONE..............

agreed -- the ONLY parts I hope to see reproduced are parts that are actually necessary for the continued safe operation of our cars... anything else that was optional -- no reproductions please....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veewee25 wrote:
Im sure that there are a few small items we all would like reproduced.
These guys are just worried that the parts that they way over paid for will drop in value. Sad thing is that most of these oh so rare accesories were just cheesy J.C. Whitney type items in thier day.

The one thing that everyone needs to understand is that the VW hobby is eventually going to be just like the Street Rodding hobby. It wouldnt exist without reproduced parts!!

Some of the "Fake" '32 Fords are bringing much more money than any restored original version could ever bring.

As this hobby becomes more of a rich mans sport it is only going to get worse.

And for anyone who wants to argue that this isnt becomeing a rich mans game, Please think back to the 80'-90's when you could buy beetles all day long for 100-500 dollars.

Not true in the Vintage Stock part of the hobby. Go ahead, reproduce a Kienzle Mirror Clock........MotoMeter gauges and panel.....Becker Monza Radio......Split Pop outs....FoxCraft Fenders skirts.......Petri Bat Wheel Horn Ring. People have tried............. Wink You couldn't come close to the quality of the originals at a price that would not encourage the buyer to look at the real items instead.
50stuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it's

PURISTS/LIONS 5
SUPPORTERS/CHRISTIANS 3

Remember folks, this is all about opinions.........

and somebody once said
Opinions are like assholes.....

Everyones got one and they all stink.

Peace
CH
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven wood wrote:
NONE.......

Funny, I thought they all already looked the same,steering wheel must be a Petri,radio must be Telefunken etc...etc... Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andy Sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mixture of both on my car, although more original. I have found some great original stuff for small prices.

But nowdays prices are mad, and the older i get the more i like my money in my bank.

so i'm still sitting on the fence is suppose.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50stuf wrote:

Remember folks, this is all about opinions.........

No, this forum is all about Accessories.

Opinions are for the Rants, and they're located a few doors down.

Let's keep the bullshit to a minimum in here, OK People?

As far as the genuine vs reproduction argument, that's as old as the hills and has been beaten to death many times in many threads, so I don't see much point in doing it again. If anyone is interested they can use the search button and read both sides to their heart's content.
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NONE
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, me too, NONE!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I've only owned three Beetles but the one problem I've had consistently is finding the correct radio for my model. Whenever I look on the classifieds for the correct one it seems I can only find something that is not guaranteed to work, or a restored radio that costs a fortune.

It might be sacrilege to a purist, but I don't think it would be impossible to produce a reproduction radio using basic imported (read Chinese) components for the guts, and different faceplates / knobs combinations to match most of the types of radios that were typically installed in VW's. If you can't afford $300 or more for a restored correct radio, maybe you could afford $75 for a reproduction that looks decent.

Who would go to all of that trouble to tool up to make it and warranty it for $75.00? I don't think $300.00 is to much for a restored radio.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, but if you are going to make them, make them so they are clearly distinguished from an original.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
steven wood wrote:
NONE..............

agreed -- the ONLY parts I hope to see reproduced are parts that are actually necessary for the continued safe operation of our cars... anything else that was optional -- no reproductions please....

I agree, normal everyday car parts, rubber, interior upholestry, brake parts, stuff like that is ok with me. If it wasn't on a VW originally, then I will not even consider buying a reproduction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: