Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

:!: 84 vanagon- cd player, lowering, my plans
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: :!: 84 vanagon- cd player, lowering, my plans Reply with quote

EDIT: here is my van. not pretty, has its querks... but i love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...8&rd=1

i want to install a cd player in my van but the wiring in the dash is rigged up. whoever had it before me cut wires and twisted them, etc... just dont trust it. is there anywhere i can get a whole "radio wire harness" or a diagram or something to fix mine? where can i get a install wire kit for the stereo to go into the van? lmk asap please Smile my email is expiredtnt08ATnetscapeDOTnet

thanks, mike.

-1984 with 1.9 wbx campmobile, 3 spd auto, ac, manual steering/brakes, dual exhaust with leaky gaskets (lawnmower sound). (non westy, wish it were stick.)

PS- im also thinking of getting new 2" drop springs for it as i need springs and shocks but id really like to drop it more than 2" without spending a ton of money. i saw a picture of a van lowered 3.5" but i have no idea how, it looked REALLY good. this winter i play to do that alone with brakes and ctrl arm bushings and etc. lmk any ideas. thanks again.

Last edited by m2008s on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any takers? Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take this one on.

1. The stereo you will have to go to the hardware store and buy come solder, Shrink tube and a soldering gun.

2. you will need to fine a always hot wire and an ignition on hot wire

3. a ground wire

4. your speaker wires

5. connect all these and you will have tunes. Oh yeah you will also need your antenna connected

as far as lowering springs normally only get you about 2.5 inches and you can run your stock shocks but I found it was best to cut my bump stops. there are more expensive ways to do this but you can pick up springs for about $100 and get the look you want. Try CIP1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old installers' trick is to use a 9v battery. Listen for static when you start hooking up the speaker wires. This way you can tell which wires go to which corner.

Ground is easy enough to find.... Hot wires are easy, too.

Have a label gun handy...

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- you said "whoever had it before me cut wires and twisted them, etc... just dont trust it"...

- btw is there a radio unit at all?

-is the radio unit in there still working?

- you can start to put a piece on each wire (to remember where it went and it does)... then take the old unit

- then from the instruction manual of your new unit, use clip-on crim to wire it and you're done...
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i forgot i had this topic, that cip1 site is sweet. to answer ?'s it had no radio at all, all speakers are blown out (no covers and the cones are just torn out..) the little white plug in the dash for what seemed to be a stock radio is there but all the wires were cut and then retwisted on by hand, no tape or anything. almost like someone stole a nicer radio and simply cut the wires so the owner got the old stock plug and put a stock radio in? i believe the speakers in it were original anyways.

this winter im going to park it and i plan to get some tunes going, get new springs and shocks.. ive heard H&r's have a harsh ride? maybe ill try to find something else. as for shocks id like something softer than konis although i like the adjustable features. i dont have a ton of $ as im 17 yrs old and a senior in high school Smile. also want to repair the brakes as i just finished running new lines, get new steering parts and control arm bushings (squeaky).

Last edited by m2008s on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Announcing you interest in the ebay springs 4 days before the auction ends is a sure way to drive the price up. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Gauche1968 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ever use seafom (liquid carbon cleaner stuff you run through your motor) in their vanagon? i use it in all the family cars but im not sure how to run it through the van because i always used the vacuum hose for the brake booster to suck it through. i can use a main intake vacuum line but theyre all the same looking.--- put the actual ebay listing link in my first post, thats my van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: