Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90 Vanagon: clutch pedal rock hard
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myke_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: 90 Vanagon: clutch pedal rock hard Reply with quote

After letting a newbie test drive my Vanagon (mistake), it comes back with a burst clutch master hose, so I replace the hose and bleed the system, then get in and push on the clutch pedal, which feels fine until about halfway depression at which point it stops dead. I know this guy slipped the clutch alot, and could hardly get the bus to move, so I know it got abused..
I'm trying to speculate about what parts I'm going to need to throw at it. I am guessing the throwout bearing got really hot and hung up, either on the operating shaft or on the sleeve.. has anybody else ever seen anything like this?

BTW, the slave cylinder has a full range of motion, the hangup is definitely inside the bellhousing..
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the clutch release fork broke, then he stood on the pedal trying to get it to release, bursting the hose when the piston bottomed out.
Get a German one. Dealer or online vendor. gotta take the tranny or engine out to get to it. Tranny might be a bit easier on a WBX.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myke_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch release fork meaning... the part that shoves the bearing around right?
the transverse bar that has the two arms?

ie
part "I." in pic below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myke_w wrote:
clutch release fork meaning... the part that shoves the bearing around right?
the transverse bar that has the two arms?

ie
part "I." in pic below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes. I think they might be the same for all 091's, even the late bays. If you are in a jam, you might see. When I tried it, I couldn't get the damn arm off the bay one. Even heated it red hot. But sometimes one has to use old/ reclaimed parts.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling the manual trans on a wbx is pretty easy. Whatever the newbie did, it's not likely he took perfectly good parts and trashed them; something was nearing breakdown, and he just abused it enough to push it over the edge. The throwout arms do break (ask me how I know), so that's a distinct possibility. At any rate, if you can't pin it down to the hydraulic system, you should plan on doing the full clutch, throwout, and mainseal job. Get the flywheel resurfaced while you're at it, and you'll be in good shape for years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myke_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I figured it out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/myke.welch/VanagonClutch

The clutch hub looks new, which tells me the clutch wasn't that old.

The problem of pedal stiffness was caused by the pressure plate being totally warped from heat, it totally melted down, the guy smoked the piss out of the clutch as was evident from the stench when I pulled the tranny off, everything esle including the operating shaft was in great shape, looked just rebuilt, even had new red grease on it.

I'll never do that again.. (let a noob drive my shiz)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for ya. I bought a van with a blown up clutch. Same deal, someone was test-driving it. The tranny had a slight oil leak also, so add burning gear lube to the smell and you know what I can't forget...

Does the flywheel need resurfacing/replacement?

Andrew
myke_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily enough the flywheel escaped unscathed, if this were my td I'd wring the kids neck. The pressure plate took the brunt, actually froze solid from the heat from the clutch slipping, the weirdest thing I've seen in a while.. I have spare parts around the shop, but this is still a pain in my arse, the think worked perfectly before boy wonder drove it, then I got a call that he stalled it on a bridge, in heavy traffic, then abandoned it, then had it towed to a different shop and didn't call me til the next day. Anyway, thanks for the speculation, I actually believed the kid when he said he drove stick, next time I'll ride along...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! At least you got a good story out of it... Laughing

Andrew
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I take back what I said. Apparently there are some self-professed drivers that are the devil's minions in disguise (come to think of it, there's a lot of that sort around these days....), who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motor vehicle. Next time, get character references. And a hefty deposit. Myself, no one but my wife drives my rig; too much is invested in it at this point. I have a crappy bargain basement Subaru, though, that anyone can borrow, because I wouldn't care if they never brought it back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: