Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Tent info FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusOK wrote:
I'll sell them new next year.
Check my site: www.busok.nl

Bus OK,

Thank you for the note. I sent you a PM. Please respond.

Rick and Carman
Fly Away Designs
Canby, Oregon, USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusOK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sell them new next year.
Check my site: www.busok.nl
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

This weekend we made a series of short videos that explain the components and how to install/uninstall our Rear Tents and the Bed Extension.

Please contact us to tell us what you think, or if you have questions. We'd be happy to give you additional information.

Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=82d13650ed62b49aab1eab3e9fa335caa745d8d7e83d9813

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C and R at FlyAwayDesigns:

The new 1-pc arm looks better.

Keep up the good work!

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spankowitz wrote:
Where does it stow? Looks like it folds up - does it block the rear window in the up position?

We remove the diagonal braces before storing. It does not fold up as you describe, so it does not block the rear window.

We have a Riviera and we store the Bed Extension Platform on the upper bed. We have removed that mattress as we tend to use the space for storage when camping anyway. (It was a bitch to climb up there and it was a bitch to climb down when we had to pee in the night. LOL ) The poptop closes right over it without hitting. We have steel "keepers" installed to hold it in place in case we have to hit the brakes suddenly.

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
spankowitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it stow? Looks like it folds up - does it block the rear window in the up position?

78 Westy
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator,

Thank you for the input. The photos you are seeing were of our prototype. We simplified the diagonal braces since then to eliminate the problem you describe. Here is a link to a photo of the newer braces.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/481865.jpg

We may be joining forces with another Oregon-based company that manufactures tents and other related camping gear in the very near future. We will be discussing making parts for their line of products as well as some new products we have in mind. Maybe one of the tents you are envisioning, or something similar is already being designed or in development. We would be interested to hear what ideas you have for other tents. If you care to share your ideas, or would like some advice, please PM us. We can send you a link to their company in a reply PM.

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C and R at FlyAwayDesigns:

I love your inovation and the fact that you're doing it together! I also have lots of ideas and designs for rear, side, and even roof tents for these cool old busses - I just havn't made a business out of it. Way to go! Applause

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do have a question, though, about the arms for the rear platform. What's going to keep the pivot point below the offset from breaking or bending off when excessive load (Tubby & Tubby's wife) climb onto that platform? My engineering background tells me that all the tension load between the top hook and the bottom pin of that arm is going to try to pull the arm straight between these two points. I assume the offset arm is strong enough to resist bending, but what about that pivot joint?

If you need the joint so the arm is short enough to pack, then here's a simple idea to make it more resistant to the forces I talked about:

At the top of the long lower arm, put a slight bend below the pivot, and a little less bend at the bottom of the offset arm. The idea would be to make that joint exactly perpendicular to the load. If you stretch a string from the top hook to the bottom mount point, you'll see what I mean. You want to get all forces through that joint as shear (perpendicular), not bending! This little change should also have the effect of tucking the pieces tighter together when folded up.

Or if you're trying to keep the long arm off to the side instead of straight to the top hook, then overlap or extend both pieces past that pivot joint a few inches each side of the pin. Then it won't be trying to flex as much right at the joint.

Just my $.02 . . . Let me know what you think. My biggest reluctance to marketing my own products is LIABILITY! Just trying to look out for your ass(ets) as well. Wink

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing.....we have now sourced aluminum tubing that we will use in lieu of the steel tubing shown in the photos. The unit should weigh half as much and still support the same weight - way over 200 lbs.

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
notsobigkahuna wrote:
does anyone know anything about the elusive rear tent? how does the wood part join to the bus? there are metal hooks but is there supposed to be some sort of hook on the bus?

kahuna in kanada

Some hardware shots from the new design here
Looks like there is some sort of hinge attachment for the wood in the new one.

From here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=553284

And some more hardware shots from an OG westy tent:
It kind of looks like the original two bar design stabilized the platform from sliding backwards.

From here:

http://www.kookymathteacher.com/rearender/rearendtent.html

And here:
http://www.clarkcraft.net/jsclark/vw/loaves.html#wstag

It looks like the original Westy one could slide onto the rear pad when not in use... unlike the new ones, which...well.... i have no idea where you would stow that big assed piece of plywood... looks like the new design wouldn't fit on the rear pad with the side cabnet in the way.

We have a Riviera and we store the Bed Extension Platform on the upper bed. We have removed that mattress as we tend to use the space for storage when camping anyway. (It was a bitch to climb up there and it was a bitch to climb down when we had to pee in the night. LOL ) The poptop closes right over it without hitting. We are working on making the platform "foldable" or in (2) pieces that can be easily assembled in the field.

As a side note, we had not seen the original Westy design before we designed ours.

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

Glad to finally see pics of the OG platform.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notsobigkahuna wrote:
does anyone know anything about the elusive rear tent? how does the wood part join to the bus? there are metal hooks but is there supposed to be some sort of hook on the bus?

kahuna in kanada

Some hardware shots from the new design here
Looks like there is some sort of hinge attachment for the wood in the new one.

From here:

And some more hardware shots from an OG westy tent:
It kind of looks like the original two bar design stabilized the platform from sliding backwards.

From here:

http://www.kookymathteacher.com/rearender/rearendtent.html

And here:
http://www.clarkcraft.net/jsclark/vw/loaves.html#wstag

It looks like the original Westy one could slide onto the rear pad when not in use... unlike the new ones, which...well.... i have no idea where you would stow that big assed piece of plywood... looks like the new design wouldn't fit on the rear pad with the side cabnet in the way.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyawaydesigns wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
So how does the floor within the rear sleeper work? It would have to be about 4 feet by 4 feet. Thats larger than would fit back inside the bus unless it's in pieces. And how is it supported? What holds it up level with the interior floor? It would have to be strong and rigid. And a tent hanging off the rear hatch door wouldn't support it.

We have that solved already.

I was looking for info on the old VW rear sleeper from the '70's. Never found any photos of the platform. Although there were many photos of the exterior. Numerous people had them and some were on splitties. Evidently popular in Europe. I was a bit curious about the old ones. It would have been interesting to compare them with the design I worked around.
Regardless they are a handy, functional item.
flyawaydesigns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
So how does the floor within the rear sleeper work? It would have to be about 4 feet by 4 feet. Thats larger than would fit back inside the bus unless it's in pieces. And how is it supported? What holds it up level with the interior floor? It would have to be strong and rigid. And a tent hanging off the rear hatch door wouldn't support it.

We have that solved already. Our Rear Bed Extension Platform supports WAY over 200 Lbs. Here are links to photos showing the platform:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443136.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443137.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443139.jpg

This Platform works in concert with our Rear End Tents. These sure make summer camping great - no insects eating you while you sleep, more ventilation, wider and longer sleeping area increases the usable space and makes for less claustrophobia when sleeping, the moonroof allows for seeing the stars....

Here are links to some photos of the Rear Tent in use:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/443133.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/355756.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/300585.jpg

A link to our advertisement:

Contact us for additional information and photos.

C and R
Fly Away Designs
Canby, OR
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: rear tent Reply with quote

just found this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-camper-bay-type-2-origina...dZViewItem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 170 for it, it is polished and looks very nice. I am not sure if the bus depot one is polished or not, they also said at Izz"s that they sell unopolished for 150.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Boys out of Redding CA also repros the side step.

http://www.bus-boys.com/bbaccess.htm#step

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: side step Reply with quote

rich burgess wrote:
You can get a side step from
Izz's Safari windows, there based out of San Jose, i just picked one up at bugoramma from those guys it is polished and looks very sweet on my 73 camper> THere number is 408 295 9714

Sweet, any chance you recall how much it was?
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: side step Reply with quote

You can get a side step from
Izz's Safari windows, there based out of San Jose, i just picked one up at bugoramma from those guys it is polished and looks very sweet on my 73 camper> THere number is 408 295 9714
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: