Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Tent info FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barker_shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

It's been a year since I made the boot tent and we have finally managed a week away in the van to try it out.

The weather was up to England's usual wet and windy July, so very wet and windy!

We were very relieved to find that there were no leaks or drafts from where it sealed to the van and the extra length and feeling of space whilst sleeping was great.

Well worth the time and effort making it and a great addition to our setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately we forgot to take any pictures of it in use, but here is one with our 1970s drive away awning attached.
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Looks great! You will love it!
barker_shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Other than a few press studs to hold the sides inside the van and under the board it's pretty much finished. A couple of snag holes in the bug netting also need fixing...

The poles are upcycled from an old gazebo frame with a bolt though the top that locates into the drain holes in bottom edge of the boot intended to prevent the boot from closing when it shouldn't.

I'll monitor how the strap holds the board but as it's not really load bearing I'm hoping it will be ok
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

barker_shawn wrote:

Hopefully the strap will work OK without too much stretch (didn't think of it stretching but hopefully the ratchet means they are easy to adjust if needed) as we will sleep with heads into the van, unless we fancy star gazing.

I looked to your strap again. My fiorst prototype was with 1 steal cable like your strap. but was difficult to adjust en kept pullen one side of the board up instead of leveling out evenly.

I would go for 2 straps.

I like your hatch support poles. what looks did you make them yourself or are they upcycled from something else?

We sleep with 5 people in the bus so we need every extra inch. also we have a berlin interior so we sleep in the tent with our head because its is more spaceous there.

Let us know how the first camping trip is!
barker_shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Fahtel.

The board size we have is partly because we don't need one much bigger as it will be mostly for increased ventilation and to make the bed long enough for me so I'm not sleeping at an angle or kicking the boot lid all through the night. The second reason is that the local DIY store stock this size (605x1220x18mm) that didn't need to be cut and waste most of it. This board then slides straight under the existing hardboard in the boot area so is easy to store out of the way. A couple of small brackets, one either side, stop it sliding in

Hopefully the strap will work OK without too much stretch (didn't think of it stretching but hopefully the ratchet means they are easy to adjust if needed) as we will sleep with heads into the van, unless we fancy star gazing.
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Hi great start. What is the reason that your floor is small?

Normally a base plate of 94cm deep will fit on the engine cover behind the rocknroll bed.

Also my steal 4mm cables tend to stretch a bit. I think the ones you use will also do that. So adjusting them will be necessary.

But compliments and keep up te work!
barker_shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Been reading through these post for a while now after stumbling across the rear tents by accident. As my wife finds sleeping in our van a tad claustrophobic we thought it would make it a bit more airy and increase air flow on those hot nights.

Really like the look of them so have been inspired to have a go. We've been collecting all the bits to have a go at making one and are now ready to make a start.

Mocked up one out of some old fabric left over from another project today and looks like its going to work. This fabric was light weight and it's been blowing a gale most of the day but it proved the basic idea.

]

The canvas will be secured with press studs to the underside of the board and the inner flap to the inside of the van. The outer flap will seal to the van with use of a bungee cord threaded through it. We'll see how that works as to whether we need to add straps or extra fabric to the underside of the board as well.

We are going to make the final tent from some orange canvas and insert windows. One to line up with the hatch window (for star gazing), one on each side with insect screen vents and a zip up one on the back for increased ventilation lined with bug screen...well, that's the plan. I'll update progress as we go.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

That turned out very nice! Looks like it was bought. You guys did very good work Cool

Applause

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

we had a great vacation and our new sleeping space added to the joy.

I can only promote a rear tent. after 13 years without it i can certainly say this is a great update.

when we come arround to it we will post the patterns.

didn`t have a good rain shower to really test it.... not so sad about that;)
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Awesome work, glad you can enjoy the results!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Very nice work, that tent looks extremely sharp.
The Crock, not so much Laughing

I agree on both Smile

Thank you!

We will test the tent this weekend... probably with some allround dutch weather...

The croc is for scale;)
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I agree on both Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Update

Making the pattern.

The walls made out of an old tent...

Fitting. The roof is not attached jet.. it will be bisonyl like the campmobile. So it will be an hybrid tent.

Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

So small update.

Don`t know the translations. But I put 2 "blind-nuts" in the bus to secure the platform from sliding in or tilting up.

Amescador uses the same system.

the platform fits perfectly betweem hatchdoor and RnR bed.

I think the platform is ok for now. Now its time for the misses to do her thing with the sewingmachine.
Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

Version 2.

So my goal is a thin platform. That fits a Berlin

This version I added a iron u shaped bar at the end of the platform. The purpose is to make it more rigid. Strong base for the suspension.
Adapter to slide the small wood piece in.

The small wood piece will also slot in the big piece. Not jet decided how I will do that. Probably with iron pins.

Now I have 2 cables that I can adjust. It feels strong. I miss some pieces of hardware. Also the adjusters will go on the other end. On this side they will damage the paint. When you slide it in the bus.

The hooks I still had on the hinges. When the door is fully open you have more room the When you close it a bit like the camp mobile the room is small...

So looking around I found 2 holes exposed. And it can maybe work.

The metal is a bit thin...

Fahtal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

I would like to know how wide the white fabric is sticking out on the sides

And if you can make a picture on how the fabric is in the upper corners near the roof of the bus. There seems to be a snap button to close the upper corner.

And the minimum height from hatch bottom to the floor
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent info FAQ Reply with quote

I have to do some traveling this week. After Thursday, Ill set up the tent on the back of one of the buses and take some measurements for you.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: