Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 S0-34 Not seen since Jerome 1....17 years ago.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: 1962 S0-34 Not seen since Jerome 1....17 years ago. Reply with quote

Here is the resurrection as opposed to restoration of my 1962 SO34 that has been in my backyard for like 15 years. Just have to get the rear seats covered. Just got the new seat bases made.........they look original.............my old ones were a little thrashed. Im seriously thinking of going all foam on these bed cushions for comfort. I have all the original springs but Im definitely more concerned with comfort than originality in this one case..........anyone have an opinion..........or experience here? I am also in need of some chandelier hooks if anyone has a couple to sell...how many were there originally?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: so34 Reply with quote

Looks to be a nice Bus, were the safari's Original to the bus ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cool bus to look at in Jerome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: safaris Reply with quote

Its an original safari bus and those are original safaris. They came in the 383 option package with 6 popouts. Also came mcoded for an ambulance step and fans which are also there. I completely rebuilt this bus with a new trans and a scat crank and rod, forged piston 1600 for the hills. I also rebuilt a stale air 40hp for it with all the right stuff but Im going to drive it so I went fresh air and doghouse cooler on it and put the 40 in storage. Its still single port and I made it as OG looking as possible. All frontend and brake parts including drums bearings, steer box and swing lever were replaced with german stuff. It drives like a new bus. It was a tourist delivery and came back to Phoenix so no rust [except a tiny spot under the battery]. and no major accidents.....just a couple of dings. The cab has been resprayed by Dave S who did his usual nice job. The PO had painted the cab black and there were several used hits of LSD spit adhered to the dash and above the windows that stuck for 20 years at least. The PO was a buddy of mine that followed the Dead in the eighties....in the first wave of retrohippies............all the rubber and popouts have been done and painted beige grey so all the real hard work is done. All sigla also.Dave also blended the top half for me which looks great. Its in my work area and hard to get good pics right now......thanks

Last edited by volksworker on Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N I C E !
merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: so34 Reply with quote

383 is not listed,did you know that is the safari's because there is no other mcode on your plate ?

I also have a Factory Safari bus and it has #'s 375 and 544 so I am assuming that one of these is a 'grouping' of multiple mcodes and one is for safari's.

Does anyone happen to know what these 2 mcodes are ? there like your 383 NOT listed in either of the Eccles books
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merz, you gonna come to Jerome an see it in person ? Cool
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: 383 Reply with quote

I did my homework by asking every flipseat owner with a small back window bus and factory safaris too see their mcode plate. we found 4 others with six pops and safaris that had the 383 code and no other safari mcode. so Yes is the answer to your question. 1 at the classic, a lady at octo had one, Steve M. lists one on the registry. Mine and I believe the other was Matt Howards bus. All in the last year. I think that tells us for sure that the 383 code includes safaris and 6 pops so I emailed Everett and he added it to the list. I think they were all 62s also.............Also Mcode 544 I think is "special workshop" for mods made at VW.............my buddies so-23 with what I believe is a factory cab divider has this code but no divider code but it is early. I think its on Everetts list which is pretty darn good........check it out
merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Man,
Nice to know you did your homework , I will check out EB's,I never go there.

No, Unfortunately No Jerome,I have never made it to that show,Some day
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 S0-34 Not seen since Jerome 1....17 years ago. Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
Im seriously thinking of going all foam on these bed cushions for comfort. I have all the original springs but Im definitely more concerned with comfort than originality in this one case..........anyone have an opinion..........or experience here?

If you are only worried about sleeping comfort. Recover the horse hair pads if in good shape and invest in a roll of memory foam, or even an air matress.
Personally never liked sitting in seats that were redone in foam rubber.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a tent. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merz356 wrote:
Thanks Man,

I update the list on the site anytime someone sends me information on their Bus or if I read M-code information in the Forums, assuming there is some sort of confirmation or it sounds accurate. Due to this, I believe it to be more accurate than any published book.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
merz356 wrote:
Thanks Man,

I update the list on the site anytime someone sends me information on their Bus or if I read M-code information in the Forums, assuming there is some sort of confirmation or it sounds accurate. Due to this, I believe it to be more accurate than any published book.

I heart Everett. Cool
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: direct advertising Reply with quote

Im buyin that tent......Im giving in......I just sold one of my Things..........and man did it hurt. [rim shot]. If anyone needs a nice Riviera tent [the heavy one] I have one for sale........so nice of you to join us here in hell EB..........I assume you have been out of town since you didnt immediately respond to my attempted bribe. Hopefully your engine will fall out tomorrow and I can get a discount on that tent.
Sincerely
TB
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksworker i have an SO-23 with org. spring cushions. We camped with them for five years but this year we put a double size air mattress on top of the springs and it made a big difference, way more comfort! Get the battery powered air pump and it inflates in minutes.

We'll be at Jerome, look for the '61 Westy w/matching trailer. We'll have our Dragon flag flying if it's not too windy!

Also plan on the Yuma campout in Nov.

Lou

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: merz bus Reply with quote

Hey Merz that bus you have with the 544 code.........what is it and does it have any special mods that qualify it for the Kundendienstwerkstatt or Special workshop.?..or whatever the heck they called it. Like I said we are trying to figure out this code on a 59 so23. I thought maybe it was the hole for the so23 water system punched through the bulkhead......but that was probably done at Westy. The only other mod this so23 has is what looks like a factory cab divider....Im 89 percent sure its factory...but no mcode.........what about yours.....any mods?Thanks Tom
merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a plain jane 1960 so23,EXCEPT it is a factory Safari bus.

No other special things about it,pretty original though.
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the safaris must be in the 375 code..........anyone else have a factory safari camper with the 375 code.....and no safari code? Its hard to believe someone doesnt have the option list for these campers with all the codes, as all dealers must have had one.I bet one of the Literature hoarders has it but doesnt know it......
merz356 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I am Sure your right on this... The info has to be out there somewhere,and Factory/Dealer books of some sort would be the first place to look.

I think Todd S has the same on his so23 safari bus, he had told me this a few weeks ago. No Mcode for the windows and having the same mcode as mine
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: cab divider Reply with quote

Well maybe someone did stick that cab divider in this so23......nice job if they did........it even looks color matched with old cellulose paint. I was hoping that was the reason for the 544 code.......anyone have another 544 code bus? seen on a 59 and 60 so23 so far...........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: