Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you'd think ACVWs were unreliable.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or have an inordinately high number of bonehead owner/mechanics.
knox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had so many differnt cars over the years that things always seem to go wrong for the first month or so.
broken clutch cable
broken accelerator cable
shifter busching
hinge broke on throttle pedal
bad points
spilt intake boot= rod knock Sad
stuck oil pressure relief valve
fan belt
burnt clutch
busted pressure plate
broken throw out bearing shaft
siezed caliper
blown wheel cylinder,
burnt exhaust valve
dry wheel bearing
flat tires
emulsion jet in carb fell out
i'm sure there are more but these are some of the memoerable ones

Painter at Gulfstream Aerospace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visibleink wrote:
Wow, you'd think ACVWs were unreliable.

I think in most cases it wasn't the car that was unreliable it was the owner. I would hope most of us would admit to neglicting basic maintanence needs or not throughly going over a new to us old VW with a fine tooth comb. Like I mentioned, my three beauties that caused me to break down were seriously preventable.

Just some observations, it is quite striking how many cable failures (clutch or accelerator) are listed here. It seems cables, coils, points and fuel pumps are the top three causes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr.bones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi you forgot fire!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr.bones wrote:
hi you forgot fire!!!!!!! Shocked

I wouldn't rate fire as one of the top ten reasons. The first thing I do when buying a new VW is remove the PO-installed fuel filter from the engine compartment.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
Goldar's VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:

10. Some miscreant copulating with my fuel filler, pissing in my gas tank. Took a tank drain and several fuel filters to straighten that one out.

Ok, that Stant locking gas cap just got moved up the priority list...

I already have a locking decklid because:
-Some miscreant messing with my engine, removing the accel return spring and plug wires. No permanent damage, but I was paranoid for weeks.

-Multiple ran out of gas.

-Trash in the fuel pump
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldar's VW wrote:
melville wrote:

10. Some miscreant copulating with my fuel filler, pissing in my gas tank. Took a tank drain and several fuel filters to straighten that one out.

Ok, that Stant locking gas cap just got moved up the priority list...

I already have a locking decklid because:
-Some miscreant messing with my engine, removing the accel return spring and plug wires. No permanent damage, but I was paranoid for weeks.

-Multiple ran out of gas.

-Trash in the fuel pump

It was worse than you might think--I did the tank drain and replaced the lines and filter, but the $#!+ that the pisser loosened up didn't clog the filter until I pulled out to pass on I-5 300 miles from home. We limped it in to Salem OR, found a parts store, and bought a half dozen filters. I changed filters 4 more times over the next 10 days on a Seattle/Tucson/Seattle trip.

Later

Mel
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

Fuel pump pushrod bakelite guide swelling up at running temps and locking the fuel pump pushrod.

crank case seal failing and dumping oil all over the clutch.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

Probably the two worst I had were

1. Blown wheel cylinders, two different buses, both single circuit systems.
a) both were relatively new to me buses, I had done nothing to the brakes at this point, both were converted to dual circuit with all new stuff and was the end of braking issues.

2. Dirty fuel system related failures
a) one bus kept refusing to start unless I cleaned the carb
b) another one ran fine when I bought it but would stall at idle before I got it home.

I have had broken cables and had to adjust / clean points on long road trips but its old technology and I really didn't consider them breakdowns.

So yeah most of my breakdowns have been from not thoroughly going through a new to me car and dealing with the consequences. It adds to the excitement of a road trip.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

Piece of slate holding battery in place of newly acquired Baja let loose causing battery to make its own way down the highway.

I've had to call friends for fuel before but this was a first time calling for them to bring a battery.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

Has anyone read thru this post and maybe compiled a top ten list of the causes or break downs. Clutch related, ignition to be specific on the electrical, fuel and so on.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Has anyone read thru this post and maybe compiled a top ten list of the causes or break downs. Clutch related, ignition to be specific on the electrical, fuel and so on.

Bottom line, Tram hit it on the head 10 years ago. The number one reason for breakdowns in aircooled VW's is poor preventative maintenance.

Couple that with folks buying these now 40 plus year old or older VW's with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. These old VW's HAVE TO have all their mechanical systems gone through to be reliable. The vast majority of new owners fail to do so and add to it by buying and installing cheap, Chinese parts.

The owners who go through their old VW's systems and refresh them with good quality parts and restore all the original engine parts are rewarded with very reliable VW's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

In 15 years with three Beetles:

1. Loose battery cable (stupid me)
2. Loose starter wire (figured out before calling for a tow)
3. Closed points (stupid me)
4. Unknown FI fault (clueless me - I sold the car)
5. Broken accelerator cable (stupid previous owner)
6. Blown engine (stupid previous owner - I sold the car)
7. Broken crankshaft (I can't take the blame for that one - total surprise).
8. Out of gas (idiot me)
9. Broken wire on coil (fixed that one on the road)
10. Dead coil (had a spare)

So in 15 years, only 1 of 10 breakdowns was due to factors beyond the control of regular maintenance, inspection and owner knowledge. I'd say that's pretty decent reliability for a car designed in the 30's.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

In my 10+ years of daily driving air cooled cars -

1) Points - I had a spate where the only 36hp points I could find were just bad from new. Switched brands and much better.
2) fuel pump - the original failed, rebuild - failed, replace with another OG pump which is working fine.
3) clutch cable
4) run out of fuel - my bad, daily driving without a fuel gauge this has actually only happened 3-4 times, the best breakdown as I get 5L of fuel as a top up with my roadside assistance membership. Once I did have a clogged fuel line as a result though and that was a pain but able to be fixed on the side of the road.
5) broken carb linkage - once on my square, once on my bug!
6) snapped accelerator pedal linkage!
7) battery

The above is only really break downs where the car hasn't been able to limp to the mechanic, I've had a number of minor issues where it is still drive-able! I reckon I get my moneys worth out of my AAA membership.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

The front bearing in my alternator (re-manufactured Bosch) has a backing plate with two little screws in it that secure the bearing to the housing. The only time in 30 years that I ever had to call a tow truck to get the car home was when one of those little screws fell out and grounded itself between the stator and the metal housing, which promptly fried the big, heavy wire from the alternator to the battery.

To be fair, that alternator was on the engine for nearly 14 years before this happened, and after locating the missing screw (now slightly blackened), I put it back in, this time with plenty of blue loctite, and the alternator is still working fine. That was four years ago, and I now have a sixty-amp fuse between the battery and the alternator in case it happens again.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

#1 reason, owning an ACVW.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

I've been driving ac VW for 25 years, haven't experienced many of the formentioned problems.... never once broke a clutch cable!

Most issues I've seen are lack of or improper maintenance/repair.

The only real failure I had was a broken hockey stick in the trans... left me stuck in first gear on a 57 split case trans. I still made it home, took forever!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

Shocked Old guy alert-- Been driving VW s since 1965-

!- dropped the reverse pin from case during re-build- sold car.
2- tossed rod in Oz - Katherine NT (?)- and waited 2 weeks for another Bus to hit a tree n bought its engine-
3-new engine sanded by faulty air cleaner (who could have done that???
4-Back in US- snapped dads ghias crank shaft- "I want to drive that to work on mon."- so robbed the engine from bus and off he went.
5-completely wore out new bus motor going to Or in the winter- (was towing a jeep and had MC on a rack on back bumper- 40MPH cross texas. (head wind)
6--went to work for vw- and learned "Not to do that" 1979 (but I digress)
7-Had a spark plug blow out (took the time sert with it) when Laurane took bus on a 3 state cruise.
8-scuffed #3 piston due to poorly adjusted thermostat wire- or maybe just because it wanted to. Was now living in Mt Shasta- so mountians might of had something to do with it.
9- engines for the next 2 buses- Bought cheap-
10- brain fart- I'll get back to you

SO- not really a list of the most common but rather a running history-
But all that's been covered- had my share of cables,elec,set one on fire,ran out of gas, up on 2 wheels- the common stuff.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: TOP 10 causes of break downs in an air cooled VW Reply with quote

1. broken spider gears
2. broken axle
3. broken Ring / Pinion
4. pulled rocker stud
5. stripped valve adj. screw
6. cylinder head cracks/burn through at cyl mating edge (94's)
7. broken valve spring
8. broken ring
9. massive wheelie
10. red light

Oh....those are top 10 "breakdowns" in my race car.... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: