Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Smells
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wuzzlebubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Heater Smells Reply with quote

Hey guys,

My wife and I just moved from colorado to texas and brought our 74 super down with us. The car has always had a very strong gas smell inside (even for a bug) We have never run the heater because that just makes it so much worse, but we are getting some air leaking in. Is there someway to close the heater flaps for good to eliminate all air coming through that system? Thanks.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a gas smell I doubt it's coming from the rear of the car, did you check all of the filler/vent hoses to the tank? If you dont need heat at all, you can pull the heater boxes and install a set of J-tubes. This will eliminate anything comming from the heater boxes.
Wuzzlebubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a gas/exhaust smell. are the heater boxes right in fron of the mufflers?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Smells Reply with quote

Wuzzlebubba wrote:
The car has always had a very strong gas smell inside (even for a bug).

Maybe for a bug with leaky gas connections to the fuel tank, or leaking gas in the engine compartment, or rusted heater boxes that are letting the exhaust fumes mix with the fresh air coming into the car.

Bugs shouldn't have any of those smells if everything is in good shape.
Wuzzlebubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does removing the heater boxes and replacing with j-tubes affect the cooling of the engine at all?
Wuzzlebubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does it make a difference that it is a california emmisions edition?
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not need to get the car smog inspected, you can re-plumb the hoses for the fuel tank and eliminate a couple of potential fume sources. There is info on how to do that over at www.SuperBeetlesOnly.com. Removing the heater boxes can be done without adversely affecting the engine, but you will need to be sure and plug the two air outlets on the fan shroud for the hoses that feed the heater boxes. A pair of freeze plugs and hose clamps work very well for that. You will want to cover the two heater hose inlet points to the chassis as well.
Topline Parts
gcbbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure could use a sticky on this one. With the Beetles getting older they seem to all get the same problem at this age. It's got to be one of the most discussed topic in the forum. Most have a fuel tank problem,the rubber hose that seals the metal tube to the tank neck,bad sending unit gaskets,worn fuel hoses that seep so you really never see puddles of fuel,vent line hoses that need replacing,leaky fuel tanks at the seams,bad evaporation lines,bad line that goes from the metal fuel line in the rear that goes to the carb,bad fuel pump,and one of the worst would be the metal line that goes through the tunnel. I kept getting the gas smell and finally replaced everything between the carb and the fuel in the gas tank. I was fortunate though and did'nt have to replace the line through the tunnel.I even hooked up the hose attached to the fan shroud that goes to the evap. cannister since I heard it helps draw fumes away from the fuel tank. There is controversy about this one. I removed the gas tank and had it cleaned out at a radiator shop and then I sealed it with Por15. I have no more gas smell and piece of mind I have no fuel leaks.
gtr319
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my 72 standard..... I better have the car check out when I have time..... its bad for my health anyways....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: