Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WOE IS ME... (It's Boston Bob for me)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: WOE IS ME... (It's Boston Bob for me) Reply with quote

Alrighty...

I'm the one with the blown motor up here in TX, blew it coming back from the Mexican Pacific.

I found a motor in El Paso, that came out of a vanagon that was seized at the border for having drugs hidden all over the place. Actually it was three Volkswagens trying to cross together, and they were all packed with drugs.

The motor came complete, except the injection system had been removed. I had a couple of parts motors, so no prob.

I figured the motor was running when it crossed the border, so it would probably be half-way decent. I paid $375 for it.

The motor ended up being bad, and I made it worse. I came over here to Pecos, and did the motor swap. Once I got it in, I turned the motor over and I could hear a really bad compression leak. It started, and ran for a couple of seconds, then it started knocking pretty bad. It sounded like the compression leak and the knock was coming from the same side of the motor.

Pulled the motor back out, and the head off of that side of the motor. It had head gaskets. On one side the gasket was burned, thus the compression leak. On the other cylinder, it had a piece of metal imbedded in the head and the piston was hitting it. Bad head and piston.

So, the intake system I had put on the engine was off of a motor that had sucked a valve, and had a hole in the top of the case you could almost put your fist through. I wasn't smart enough to blow it out before I put it on the motor, thus the metal in the combustion chamber.

I had that motor in El Paso, so I went and got it, hoping I would have a useable head and jugs from the good side of the motor. They were bad too. When it blew, it apparantly sucked metal into that side as well from intake. Nothing useable there.

So...

I went ahead and pulled the head off the other side of the motor, and it wasn't in too good of shape either. It had a crack in it by one of the guides. Also, one of the guides was loose and came out when I slid the valve out. So, I'm gonna put two new heads and a set of jugs on the motor.

My nephew has two new bare heads he is going to give me. I pulled the valves and springs, etc. out of the engine and I'm taking them with me to Arkansas. I hope to get someone to set the heads up for me while there.

Does anyone know of a good shop in Arkansas that can set my heads up for me? I want them done right, by someone who knows how to work with V-Dubs. If I need to, I will ship them to someone.

I also need a new set of jugs. Anyone know where to get the best deal on a set of stock jugs for a 2.0? I also need a gasket set.

Any other advice you might have would be appreciated.

Taylor

p.s. I've decided I want to save some duckies and get me a Boston Bob longblock, I just hope to get this thing running in the interim while I'm saving up for the BB motor.

Last edited by Taylor L on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your post and then saw these in the classifieds. You say '2.0 jugs' though and if it's a waterboxer, they aint no such thing. It's either a 1.9 or a 2.1. Anyway, see if these are something you'd be interested in. Good luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=500616
'96 BMW R1100GS
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply P-L,

No, it's not a wbx, it's an AC motor. Those look like pistons and liners for a water cooled?

I found these...

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D029%2D198%2D075

Thanks,
Taylor
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the consensus for oversized jugs for the 2.0? Good idea? Bad idea?

Taylor
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have enough problems without adding to them, stay with the stock 94mm and stay away from the 96's. The 96's can cause overheating.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've made every mistake possible when dealing with an air cooled Vanagon. There are no shortcuts or low buck options, just get over it. Air cooled Vanagons are about committment and dedication - period. If you're not in it for the long term, just get rid of it. Cylinders are the least of your concerns. Deal with the heads first, and do them right, not the quick fix because it will be more short-term than you could imagine. If you insist on continuing to patch together something, AirCooled.net is a good place to start for parts.
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a completely unhelpful post terryg...

I think I already acknowledged that I made some mistakes. If you''ll read the thread, you'll also see that I already said that I'm setting up a new set of heads for the motor. But thanks for repeating what I've already figured out with such an authoritative nature.

If you have any helpful advice, I'm willing to hear it.

I also said that I'm going to save up for a Boston Bob longblock, is that enough commitment for you? I'm just trying to get my van on the road in the interim.

Taylor
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for any advice and terryq said something you didn't want to hear, now you're mad at him.
If you ask a question or give a comment don't expect all happy answers, or the forums would be pretty useless.
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that's how this forum works? 3K plus posts and you're free to be rude, fewer and your posts get deleted?
Current:
'97 EVC

"In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?" Seal
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has more to do with being the moderater of the forum, which why I said it in the first place.
If you have a problem with it you can PM EverettB he is the site owner.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
You asked for any advice and terryq said something you didn't want to hear, now you're mad at him.

I'd like to set the record straight here art...

I certainly wasn't "mad" at terryq. I simply stated that he wasn't helpful. I posted the thread because I was requesting help and/or advice. He seemed rather condescending in his post, suggesting that my problems were due to a lack of "commitment and dedication." He somehow deduced that I am giving some indication that I'm "not in it for the long term," and suggested that I "just get rid of it."

He then chastised me, for being concerned with cylinders and said that I should deal with heads.

I made it clear in my first post that I have two new heads that my nephew is giving me, and that I am looking for a good machine shop to set them up for me. In fact, I explained my plans for getting my heads set up before I ever mentioned that I want a set of jugs as well.

The heads are indeed important, and I acknowledged that. The jugs are important too. The ones I have are boogered up enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable using them. I wouldn't want to put a set of brand new heads on a set of jugs where I fear there's a good chance I might burn a hole through a piston.

terrq is free to feel however he wishes. He is free to feel that I am insisting "on continuing to patch together something." That's his opinion and he is entitled to it. However I should be entitled to characterize his negative comments as unhelpful. I am looking for help, and I as I said to him, I am willing to listen to it from him in spite of his negative comments. It's just that he gave no useable suggestion. Selling my van isn't a useful suggestion.

I stated: "If you have any helpful advice, I'm willing to hear it." I meant that too.

I bought my first Volkswagen 30 years ago. I've owned many beetles, a couple of Karmen Ghias, a 71 westy, and 4 vanagon westies. That being said, I haven't wrenched on one much since I was a kid.

I'm going to do whatever I PERSONALLY decide is best for the situation I'm in right now. For now, that is to put a set of jugs and heads on my motor. If someone feels I should do something different, I would like to hear it. I invited input from the forum here, and I appreciate input. If terryq thinks I should do something different than what I'm doing, I would entertain those thoughts. However, he made no such suggestions. He just blasted me a bit.

I've made some mistakes, and I acknowledged that. I just now want to do what is best and most practical for me, from here forward.

mightyart wrote:
If you ask a question or give a comment don't expect all happy answers, or the forums would be pretty useless.

I don't know why you think I'm looking for happy answers art. I'm looking for INPUT. I'm looking for input from anyone willing to give it. I am able to process that input and decide for myself whether it is helpful and useful, or whether it is not.

Point in case, the one poster suggested I stay away from the oversized jugs. That was helpful input, and I decided to go stock.

I'm rather new to the community here, but I think it is a great resource. There is a great deal of knowledgeable people here who are willing to spend their time and effort giving advice, input and sharing their knowledge on how to deal with problems they've encountered. I certainly appreciate that, and have learned a lot just from reading the threads, and the archives.

I learned yesterday about a fix for the odometer in which tencentlife posted a picture. It will serve me well when I get wheels turning again.

So I repeat, I was not mad. Even in spite of all the trouble I've had with my ride as of late, I've managed to not lose my temper or patience. I haven't uttered a single curse. It will take a lot more than a post like terryq's to make me lose my cool.

Thanks to all that have helped, not only in this thread, but in others where I've asked for advice.

Taylor
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel better now?
Got a Bentley manual?
How bout cracking one of those engine cases open and finding out what's making the noise, maybe changing the main bearings?
Check out the crank, maybe use the best one out of the Three you have. how bout those other heads you have? what do they look like?
you said the last engine made it 6,000 miles did it drop a seat?
Do you have a soild set of tin?, a nice plyable engine compartment seal?
Getting new heads is throwing money away if your cooling system isn't working correctly, you'll just drop a seat if the engine runs to hot.
Getting a new engine isn't always the answer, they not new anyways they are all rebuilt.
My suggestion would be to go through all your parts, pick out the most seviceable ones, buy new parts that don't test out right and start rebuilding.
Get the engine running right, your head temps within acceptable range (do you have a CHT guage?)The Fuel injection set right (have you tested all your FI components?), Then spend the money on a long block if you still want one.
There is more to an aircooled Vanagon running right then just the engine, what's bolted to and around the engine is important to, one weak link and the whole thing could go to shit quickly.
the Aircooled Vanagon engine has to be one of the most unforgiving engines I've ever worked on, understand it and get it right it's fine.
Changing parts and hoping is a fools game, that's why so many of them get sold and called "pieces of shit".
Taylor L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Feel better now?

Oh yea. Getting to say my piece always makes me feel better.

mightyart wrote:
Got a Bentley manual?

No, I want to get one though.

mightyart wrote:
How bout cracking one of those engine cases open and finding out what's making the noise, maybe changing the main bearings?
The noise was coming from a piece of metal that was sucked from the intake into the combustion chamber. It was imbedded in the head and the piston was hitting it.

I'm not inclined to go into the case right now. I really think everthing is copasetic in there.

I would rather not spend a ton of money on this motor. I would like to get it running for as little as possible, and save money for a Boston Bob longblock.
mightyart wrote:
Check out the crank, maybe use the best one out of the Three you have. how bout those other heads you have? what do they look like?"

The heads are brand new. I have some brand new exhaust valves to go in them. I will probably have the intake valves ground, and use them.
mightyart wrote:
you said the last engine made it 6,000 miles did it drop a seat?"
I'm pretty sure that's what happened to it. I haven't torn into it. The story on that motor, is that I pulled it out of a van that came from up north. It was so corroded that the tin was rusted off of it in places. Even the tin that would hold the engine compartment seal was rusted off of it. The heat exchangers/exhaust was in pretty bad shape, but I was afraid to even mess with it because the head bolts were rusted so bad. Also, I was pretty sure the motor had been overheated at some point. The timing was pretty far off when I got the motor. I say that it ran 6,000 miles, but that was only in my van.

I knew the motor wasn't in great shape, but I stuck it in and just ran it in the condition it was in.

I'm sure it will have some servicable parts on it, but it wouldn't be a candidate for rebuilding without a donor motor for a lot tin, and probably some replacement studs for the heads. It came out of a van that lived it's life in Canada and Buffalo, New York. I can't even do justice to describing the amount of corrosion to the motor.

I bought the van with a blown motor (the one with the hole in the case) I wanted to see myself driving the van around, so I put the motor in it as a temporary fix. I'm actually surprised it ran for as long as it did.
mightyart wrote:
Do you have a soild set of tin?, a nice plyable engine compartment seal?

I have a really good set of tin. I also have a good EC seal.
mightyart wrote:
Getting new heads is throwing money away if your cooling system isn't working correctly, you'll just drop a seat if the engine runs to hot.
Getting a new engine isn't always the answer, they not new anyways they are all rebuilt.
Well that is no doubt true, but having a good built longblock from a very reputable builder like BB is some peace of mind.
mightyart wrote:

My suggestion would be to go through all your parts, pick out the most seviceable ones, buy new parts that don't test out right and start rebuilding.
Get the engine running right, your head temps within acceptable range (do you have a CHT guage?)The Fuel injection set right (have you tested all your FI components?), Then spend the money on a long block if you still want one.
I don't have a CHT gauge. Can you recommend one?

The motor that came in the van when I bought it, (the one that sucked a valve) was a very new rebuild when it blew. The injection system on it had been gone through. It had all brand new injectors on it.

I would really like to study up on the injection system. Can you are anyone recommend any reading material on that. I will try to get my hands on a Bentley manual. I sure see the need for that.
mightyart wrote:

There is more to an aircooled Vanagon running right then just the engine, what's bolted to and around the engine is important to, one weak link and the whole thing could go to shit quickly.
the Aircooled Vanagon engine has to be one of the most unforgiving engines I've ever worked on, understand it and get it right it's fine.
Changing parts and hoping is a fools game, that's why so many of them get sold and called "pieces of shit".
Thanks for the post. You've given me some good food for thought.

Taylor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: