Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator light flashing in time with turn signals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Alternator light flashing in time with turn signals Reply with quote

I noticed that when my headlights are on and I am braking (ie at a stop sign at night), and the turn signals are on, the red battery idiot light flashes in exact time with the turn signal, actually exactly reversed time. It does it when the brakes aren't on, too, but much fainter. If the headlights aren't on, then it doesn't do it at all. What would you guys suggest??

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i probably don't know squat, but i'd suspect the headlight switch. Does it feel warm?

could be resistance in the wires in the lighting, and then there is the alternator itself. Have you checked the belt's tension?

i'm suprised no one else has put forth some advice.

btw, i'm driving a 77 'velveeta' Westie too. . . mine unfortunately has a mid-pinstripe/squiggle running around it. A paint job is in my future.

dp
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to check is battery voltage when this is happening, the signals, headlights and brake lights combined could be straining a weak alternator.

After that start cleaning grounds at the back.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jegtar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TW, I am having a similar issue. When my headlights are off everything is perfect but when I turn on the headlights my turn signal blink really fast and the generator dummy light glows faintly. I figured it was a bad ground but so far I have had no luck finding it.
Did you resolve you issues? What did you find? I will trouble shoot more this weekend, if there are anymore suggestions out there from someone I would appreciate it. Thanks
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegtar wrote:
my turn signal blink really fast

Have you tried cleaning/re-seating your actual turn signal bulbs? That fixed the fast signal flashing for me under similar circumstances. Amazing the amount of crap that can get back in there and dirty things up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the wire supplying 12 volts to the dash idiot light bulb cluster. If this line develops resistance, all the idiot lights will modulate each other.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jegtar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumbleBus wrote:
jegtar wrote:
my turn signal blink really fast

Have you tried cleaning/re-seating your actual turn signal bulbs? That fixed the fast signal flashing for me under similar circumstances. Amazing the amount of crap that can get back in there and dirty things up.

Tried that with no luck, it did fix one of my previous problems though. I am thinking now that it isn't turn signal related. The idiot light is on before I use the turn signals and tonight I noticed the idiot light comes on without turning on my head lights. I previously thought that it didn't come on until I turned on the lights. My turn signals are now inconsistent even with the lights off. It seems the combo of brake lights and turn signals draw too much power the same as the headlights.
I am starting to suspect that my new generator I got last year is the culprit.

I hate electrical issues...
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light flashing in time with turn signals Reply with quote

I am having an issue with my generator/alternator light coming on intermittently with the turn signals when the lights are on. I have a '71 Bus with type 1 engine and Bosch AL82 alternator.

I did some voltage checks and they are:

12.3 volts - engine off battery only

14.45 V - engine on

13.7 V - lights on

14.45/14.1 V - turn signals on

steady 13.4 V - lights and turn signals on.

I'm not sure where these should be. Am I dealing with corroded connections or an alternator issue?

Thanks -
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light flashing in time with turn signals Reply with quote

Your charge light is telling you there's a difference between the voltage at the alternator and the voltage at the fuse box. Somewhere there's a corroded or loose terminal that's not passing full voltage when it's loaded with signals or lights, could be the ignition switch as well.

Put one probe of your meter on the main wire coming from the starter to the fuse box and probe everything with the other lead, if you get a reading greater than a few thousands of a volt you may have found the culprit, try it with various systems turned on as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light flashing in time with turn signals Reply with quote

Great, thanks! Will try later today and see what I find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: